DoDo, this sounds like economic data reports are published by MiniPlenty and vetted by MiniTruth. Well worth a diary, if you ask me.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Oct 14th, 2005 at 08:57:29 AM EST
My very first diary at ET touched on this (and this comment told the same story), but I might do a more focused diary once I do some research for more recent data. But not this weekend - I'll be at a family reunion in Slovakia. However, Colman sez he is off Googling - maybe he'll have better data and do it in my stead.

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Fri Oct 14th, 2005 at 09:09:05 AM EST
I knew I'd seen it somewhere but couldn't remember where. I'll try and get a chance to dig through the OECD and so on at the weekend and see what the story is. If there aren't comparable figures published in the way that the SURs are then we're just being lied to again.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Fri Oct 14th, 2005 at 10:38:30 AM EST
You need to google "hedonist" prices or GDP, i.e. taking into account the supposedly higher service provided by the same goods. I remember a pretty detailed article in the WSJ, not sure it will be available online.

In the long run, we're all dead. John Maynard Keynes
by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Fri Oct 14th, 2005 at 11:55:00 AM EST
I see it has already been covered downthread. Sorry.

In the long run, we're all dead. John Maynard Keynes
by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Fri Oct 14th, 2005 at 12:00:28 PM EST
"Hedonic".
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Fri Oct 14th, 2005 at 12:36:57 PM EST
Well, Googling turns up this article, which sounds familiar.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Fri Oct 14th, 2005 at 10:45:15 AM EST
And eventually some definitions.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Fri Oct 14th, 2005 at 10:55:46 AM EST