No, it's ok, I found the 2. I'll treasure it.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Fri Sep 15th, 2006 at 04:25:54 PM EST
I think we should be harsher on our grading, but we'd need to all synchronize our watches to do it (so that no one stops giving 4s systematically if the others don't follow).
And as grades push comments up (or down), they really should not be used lightly, no?
Would it be difficult to rewrite the grading system to have something along the lines of:

"Acknowledged"
"Funny"
and then "0-9" for an actual grading of instructiveness/pertinence/whatever of the comment

The first two would not count in the grading average.

by Alex in Toulouse on Fri Sep 15th, 2006 at 04:30:16 PM EST
My own preferred grading system:

1. outstanding [implies nothing on agreement/disagreement]
  2. agree strongly
  3. uncivil
  4. troll
  5. disgraceful

I have never actually applied it except for occasional 2's that I am always recriminated about.

We have been warned on at least one occasion not to deviate from the binary unrated/4 rating system, as people get really sensitive really quick.

Those whom the Gods wish to destroy They first make mad. — Euripides

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Sep 15th, 2006 at 04:36:55 PM EST
Actually that system's not bad at all, so perhaps we could just add text labels next to the number for a reminder (inside the scroll list, in the same format you used above). This could help people lighten up about grading.
by Alex in Toulouse on Fri Sep 15th, 2006 at 04:39:37 PM EST
And now, after saying this, I just notice (or remember for the firs time, habit being what it is) that there already are text labels next to the values.
Pffffou, can't wait to go out tonight. Will be called for a few whiskey shots when some friends leave a restaurant.
by Alex in Toulouse on Fri Sep 15th, 2006 at 04:43:20 PM EST
Aha, the phone rang! Need to go in a hurry, we'll also be watching the film rushes (I mentioned doing a suit & tie company ultralight role in a university movie, this week).
Love to all.
by Alex in Toulouse on Fri Sep 15th, 2006 at 04:45:14 PM EST
Trouble is, nobody uses the 3's for quality and people (including myself) tend to use 4s for endorsement. I do a conscious effort of giving 4 to insightful posts I am inclined to disagree with, but it's hard.

Those whom the Gods wish to destroy They first make mad. — Euripides