So it is best for the group to burn out the people with rare skills.

Can the last politician to go out the revolving door please turn the lights off?
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Wed Jul 18th, 2007 at 06:09:07 PM EST
stretching my words.

;-)

In the long run, we're all dead. John Maynard Keynes

by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Wed Jul 18th, 2007 at 06:14:24 PM EST
Yes, and you're taking a marketista approach to vocation.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Wed Jul 18th, 2007 at 06:17:38 PM EST
yes, because it's utility based
no, because it's utility for the group that I look at here

But optimisatin of the use of any resource is not necessarily marketistic. It can also simply be good hygiene.

In the long run, we're all dead. John Maynard Keynes

by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Wed Jul 18th, 2007 at 06:49:46 PM EST
It's economic, but does the creation of economies that provide the material needs for the sustenance of society by necessity involve utility maximization?

What about ancient economies like the Greek oikos, or the manorial system?

And is utility maxmization fundamentally an emperical matter or a normative matter?

If the latter, are not the illusions of economics to be a natural science rather than social philosophy misguided?

And I'll give my consent to any government that does not deny a man a living wage-Billy Bragg

by ManfromMiddletown (manfrommiddletown at lycos dot com) on Wed Jul 18th, 2007 at 06:54:07 PM EST
You're saying people should do what they have a comparative advantage at, for the benefit of society, regardless of their personal preference. Taking this to the extreme you end up with people who are unhappy because they are required to take on more responsibility than they wish to. It is possible for people to feel like they prefer to do something else than that which will give them (and society) the most material wellbeing.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Wed Jul 18th, 2007 at 06:57:25 PM EST
It seems that we should question the notion put forward by neo-classical economics that more is always better than less, and that without price restraints demand is essentially infinite.

If we look to those countries that have been most successful in creating equality, the Scandanavians, we find that they all possess this cultural concept of lagom, enough, which means that economies exist only to provide enough so that we are comfortable.

It gives real meaning to the question, "Live to work, or work to live?"

by ManfromMiddletown (manfrommiddletown at lycos dot com) on Wed Jul 18th, 2007 at 07:05:04 PM EST
Other absurdities underpinning neoclassical economics are that supply creates its own demand, and that there's no such thing as involuntary unemployment.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Wed Jul 18th, 2007 at 07:23:52 PM EST
At least the British gave the word two words with which to respond when reality fails to reach the latter day disciples of Smith and Bentham.

Fuck off.

I feel much better now.

by ManfromMiddletown (manfrommiddletown at lycos dot com) on Wed Jul 18th, 2007 at 07:31:17 PM EST
this is also about managing rarity, and husbanding resources properly.

Efficiency is also about avoiding waste, which is a concept that is needed if you take sustainability seriously.

I think that nature is actually a lot more ruthless than any neo-lib when it comes to not wasting resources, or "putting them to use".

In the long run, we're all dead. John Maynard Keynes

by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Thu Jul 19th, 2007 at 03:37:08 AM EST
That which is not used is not wasted.

People are not (human) resources.

Paraphrasing Kant, the foundation of ethics is that people are ends unto themselves, not means.

Sorry.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Thu Jul 19th, 2007 at 03:43:46 AM EST
In the movie Will Hunting Ben Affleck (the working class guy) tells Matt Damon (his mathematicla genius buddy) that if he still is doing construction work when he is [25 or some other age], he will perosnally kill him, because he owes it to him not to waste his talent like that.

Is that just Hollywood propaganda?

In the long run, we're all dead. John Maynard Keynes

by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Thu Jul 19th, 2007 at 05:23:37 AM EST
Matt Damon's character also burns out and destroys his relationship with his girlfriend by the end of the movie. Remove the Hollywood happy ending and it's a pretty depressing movie.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Thu Jul 19th, 2007 at 05:26:29 AM EST
Oh, and the happy ending involves Will refusing lucrative work offers.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Thu Jul 19th, 2007 at 05:29:56 AM EST
Hmm. Another way the word is used is in the sense that you should put your candle under a bushel, if it's a better or brighter candle than your neighbor has.
So the preference where I come from is that everyone is equally poor and equally stupid. Fuck lagom.

(Obviously I'm exaggerating and the use you mention is entirely correct. It's just that the equality comes at a price.)

-----
sapere aude

by Number 6 on Thu Jul 19th, 2007 at 06:28:08 AM EST
The globe can't sustain 6 billion people living a 'First World' lifestyle.  The globe can't sustain the people currently living a 'First World' lifestyle living a 'First World' lifestyle.  We need to greatly expand the available resources, especially power, see that some form of lagom becomes culturally operative, or a whole lot people will die over the next century.

Note: the OR is Inclusive.

"Equality comes at a price."  True and I do not disagree.  I submit rampant individualism also comes at a price.  Sweden, if I may, is the poster child for the Price of Equality while the US is the shining example of the Price of Rampant Individualism.  Having had my fill of the latter I wouldn't mind, at all, a goodly dollop of the former.  Given what you, and others, have posted it is apparent Your Mileage most certainly Does Vary.  Once again, I do not take issue with that.  I would maintain there is much to admire in the 'Scandinavian Model' but neither do I have any illusions about it.  As much as I detest the 'US Model' I still recognize there are good things about it as well.

Over the next 50 years, or so, tho' I fully expect these two systems to be challenged.  I further expect the 'Swedish Model' to be the superior system and the basis of that superiority is lagom.  What I don't expect is innovative methods for dealing with the challenges to come from a Swedish Model but I do expect them from the US Model.

But the general level of pain and suffering will be greater under the US Model.

Skepticism is the first step on the road to truth. -- Denis Diderot

by ATinNM on Sat Jul 21st, 2007 at 02:31:54 AM EST
It's the right combination of Equality and Equity that is needed to arrive at an optimal form of "Cooperative Individualism".

And I agree that the solution lies nearer the "Swedish" model than the US one.

by ChrisCook (cojockathotmaildotcom) on Sat Jul 21st, 2007 at 06:37:23 AM EST