I just did a book search for "Dynamic systems." I don't want to tell you what titles the miserable text search returned, manga, new age self improvement, "how to fly a kite", etc....

There's one System dynamics title. Hmmm. Looks like I'll have to learn MATLAB as well.

"It Can't Be Just About Us"
--Frank Schnittger, ETian Extraordinaire

by papicek (papi_cek_at_hotmail_dot_com) on Mon Dec 15th, 2008 at 07:55:26 AM EST
Dynamical systems?

Most economists teach a theoretical framework that has been shown to be fundamentally useless. -- James K. Galbraith
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Mon Dec 15th, 2008 at 08:04:34 AM EST
This is a little book I like.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Mon Dec 15th, 2008 at 08:05:52 AM EST
Thanks for the link to the book, too bad Amazon is down for me right now, but I will check it later.

Wikipedia has a nice little entry on Systems Dynamics.

When I'm done with my Phd (which has still a few years to go) my long term goal is to do research on Systems Architecture, especially trying to build Languages to support it.

You might find me At The Edge Of Time.

by Luis de Sousa (luis[dot]a[dot]de[dot]sousa[at]gmail[dot]com) on Mon Dec 15th, 2008 at 09:18:34 AM EST
It's called Response and Stability: An Introduction to the Physical Theory by A. B. Pippard. It seems to be out of stock or out of print: all the copies on sale are used...

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Mon Dec 15th, 2008 at 12:45:56 PM EST
most of the foreign policy titles I read are out of print, so I buy used copies all the time. No problem there. Response and Stability has been added to my Barnes and Noble wish list. Probably delve into it later this winter.

Thanks all :)

"It Can't Be Just About Us"
--Frank Schnittger, ETian Extraordinaire

by papicek (papi_cek_at_hotmail_dot_com) on Mon Dec 15th, 2008 at 10:29:13 PM EST
I like Strogatz Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos.

It won't drag you though all kinds of mathematical PNing, but it does have sufficient structure and rigour that it's possible to do a self-study from it.

- Jake

Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate.

by JakeS (JangoSierra 'at' gmail 'dot' com) on Mon Dec 15th, 2008 at 01:30:08 PM EST
A $265 book. I should buy two :)

"It Can't Be Just About Us"
--Frank Schnittger, ETian Extraordinaire
by papicek (papi_cek_at_hotmail_dot_com) on Mon Dec 15th, 2008 at 10:52:39 PM EST
250 US$? You're being ripped off. I didn't pay more than 70 US$ (although that was back when the US$ was half again as expensive as it is now...). Call it a round hundred in today's exchange rates.

- Jake

Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate.

by JakeS (JangoSierra 'at' gmail 'dot' com) on Tue Dec 16th, 2008 at 05:11:21 AM EST
Eh? This one? £30 from Amazon.co.uk?
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Tue Dec 16th, 2008 at 05:18:23 AM EST
You know, we should just spare people the expense and write a bunch of diaries...

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Tue Dec 16th, 2008 at 05:29:19 AM EST
... except I paid Danish VAT on it too...

Y'know, I support this whole "paying taxes" thing, but sometimes I wish the ways around paying taxes were a little less obvious and/or a little less legal - I can't quite tell whether it's ethical to pay a tax you can easily and legally get around, or just plain stupid...

But hey, it's worth what I paid for it, so why am I complaining?

- Jake

Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate.

by JakeS (JangoSierra 'at' gmail 'dot' com) on Tue Dec 16th, 2008 at 07:04:53 AM EST
That appears to be the original edition, and there's a 2nd edition out, and yes the hardcover is indeed $265. On further investigation, I find the paperback's also available though, at $95.

Hmmm, no used editions. It'll have to wait then. I have lots of other reading lined up.

"It Can't Be Just About Us"
--Frank Schnittger, ETian Extraordinaire

by papicek (papi_cek_at_hotmail_dot_com) on Wed Dec 17th, 2008 at 01:30:24 AM EST

Dublin is to Blame