Bravo everyone for this initiative and great work.

As for page design, it could be something ultra simple: white ground, perhaps a horizontal banner, with light grey drop shadow, to contain a title, choices for language preference and links: about, ET, references, sign the petition, etc.

Centered, fixed-width column for the petition text, with very pale grey ground, perhaps ... There probably ought to be a comments section, somewhere.

I made a quick logo, which may or may not be necessary. Could be that the EU flag would do the trick.

I you do think a logo/sign would be useful but don't like the above, give me a description of what you'd prefer. I'll see what I can do.

Also, let me know if a mock-up of the page might be useful.

by Loefing on Mon Feb 4th, 2008 at 01:26:43 PM EST
I reserve judgement on the no-Blair logo, but the rest sounds good to me. I would suggest a field within the front page (or a link to an internal page) for news and updates about the petition. And yes, a mock-up of the page for ET to see would be great.

You're clearly a dangerous pinko commie pragmatist.
by Vagulus on Mon Feb 4th, 2008 at 02:07:47 PM EST
As I understand it, the petition may be published initially on a standard online petition site, but following is a design proposal we could discuss, in any case.

I tried to keep it simple, efficient and as legible as possible. Since the text is lengthy, I've put it in 2 columns, to avoid either excessive vertical scrolling or difficult-to-read, long lines. Of course the user will have to scroll a bit, to get back up to the top of the 2nd column, but in the English version there's actually relatively little text below the browser field.

Photobucket

The ET logo would be 'live' and could lead to a dedicated 'about' page relative to the petition itself or could bring up an ET page.

I notice going through the comments, again, that there are a few flags missing and possibly a few other links, too.

by Loefing on Mon Feb 4th, 2008 at 08:41:41 PM EST
I like this presentation.

"Dieu se rit des hommes qui se plaignent des conséquences alors qu'ils en chérissent les causes" Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet
by Melanchthon on Mon Feb 4th, 2008 at 08:51:24 PM EST
It's <bare bones>, for sure, but I thought a neutral, kind of institutional look might be a reasonable starting point.
by Loefing on Mon Feb 4th, 2008 at 09:42:56 PM EST
It looks very nice.

More flags : we should put all EU official languages, I think.

(bulgarski (BU) čeština (CZ) dansk (DK) Deutsch (DE) eesti (ET) elleniká (EL) English (EN) español (ES) français (FR) italiano (IT) latviešu (LV) lietuviu (LT) magyar (HU) Malti (MT) Nederlands (NL) polski (PL) portugues (PT) romana (RO) slovenčina (SK) slovenščina (SL) suomi (FI) svenska (SV)

Under the sign petition square, we'd need a couple links (a "who are we" blurb mentioning ET, a "press releases"  link (when/if we make any), a "press mentions" (we already have one !), a link to the signatories (maybe), with the number of signings (if we implement the signing ourselves), and a "contact us" line (to etg@eurotrib.com ?)

Looks really nice.

Do you have a CSS handy ? :) (If not, I'll implement it during the night)

Un roi sans divertissement est un homme plein de misères

by linca (antonin POINT lucas AROBASE gmail.com) on Mon Feb 4th, 2008 at 09:00:44 PM EST
I think we should mention the languages for which we don't have a translation yet...

by Melanchthon on Mon Feb 4th, 2008 at 09:17:02 PM EST
Sorry: I think we should not mention the languages for which we don't have a translation yet.

Must go to bed....

by Melanchthon on Mon Feb 4th, 2008 at 09:18:34 PM EST
The flag should link to a page nicely asking for a translation :)

Un roi sans divertissement est un homme plein de misères
by linca (antonin POINT lucas AROBASE gmail.com) on Mon Feb 4th, 2008 at 09:19:06 PM EST
And if I may ask, if you are not asleep yet, where you found the flags and the border between the main, light grey frame and the others ?

Un roi sans divertissement est un homme plein de misères
by linca (antonin POINT lucas AROBASE gmail.com) on Mon Feb 4th, 2008 at 09:18:18 PM EST
Still here. :-\

Heck, I didn't save the page but my search request was something like 'Europe flags'. There were lots of results.

And, no. Sorry no CSS. I tend to rely on assistants for the tech side ...

by Loefing on Mon Feb 4th, 2008 at 09:35:34 PM EST
Found the flags, still looking for the dégradé...

Un roi sans divertissement est un homme plein de misères
by linca (antonin POINT lucas AROBASE gmail.com) on Mon Feb 4th, 2008 at 09:49:17 PM EST
I like it too!

I'm not sure this has been mentioned, but the signature page will need to be translated, too, or it can be a multilingual one: Surname/Nom/Cognome/etc.

You're clearly a dangerous pinko commie pragmatist.

by Vagulus on Mon Feb 4th, 2008 at 09:12:12 PM EST
Question to the expert: would the flags not be placed above the text, in the top-right quarter? Because with all the twenty-something flags in the bottom-left one, they become small.

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Tue Feb 5th, 2008 at 07:11:22 AM EST
I don't this logo would enough consensual.

BTW, I sent you an e-mail

by Melanchthon on Mon Feb 4th, 2008 at 02:10:20 PM EST
Sorry!

I meant: I don't think this logo would be enough consensual...

by Melanchthon on Mon Feb 4th, 2008 at 02:11:48 PM EST
Yes. I understand. It perhaps too militant.

Responded to your mail, btw.

Also, since the site seems to be getting a lot of traffic, possibly due to this initiative, if the logo suggestion seems contentious, feel free to have a gnome remove it or delete the comment altogether.

by Loefing on Mon Feb 4th, 2008 at 03:21:48 PM EST
No, we won't censor it :-)

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Mon Feb 4th, 2008 at 04:21:45 PM EST
I think the red circle with the bar through was perhaps over the top.

A circle of twelve gold five-pointed stars 'round his portrait, with perhaps four more in diagonal, left to right going down, might be more diplomatic.

by redstar on Mon Feb 4th, 2008 at 11:56:10 PM EST
You arrive a little late. That's why I recommended that it might ought to be deleted.
by Loefing on Tue Feb 5th, 2008 at 03:34:10 PM EST
I know, I feel awful.

Not that this is a good excuse, but I've been sick and very busy with work.

If you like you could email me the undeneath photo and I can play with the photoshopping...

by redstar on Tue Feb 5th, 2008 at 04:38:20 PM EST
I'd be happy to, but it looks as though the petition has a life of its own, at this point.

I've been so busy today. Haven't had time to follow up on all of this.

Let's try to be better coordinated when the next petition comes around.

They need to rain down, a multitude of 1 million signatures at a time, on Brussels ...

by Loefing on Tue Feb 5th, 2008 at 06:40:43 PM EST