Impending DOOOOOM.
Run! Hide!
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 03:49:01 AM EST
This is too exciting!

Should I start screaming yet?

by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 04:00:31 AM EST
by someone (s0me1smail(a)gmail(d)com) on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 04:04:48 AM EST
AAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 04:07:33 AM EST
Great reporting, go on!!!

I'm disappointed about the lack of button - I expected something black, and round, and ominously designed with disco glitter.

European Tribune - Comments - Big Button Day -- LIVE

since hitting in one spot would simply blow the dump block to pieces, and we would have to do a lengthy and costly access to the tunnel and replacement of the block.

Whoa!

by Nomad on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 04:08:55 AM EST

shame our on-site reporter hasn't mentioned the glitterball in the control room.

(As for the end of the world doommongering, i'd only worry if cern had a shark tank or pirhanna pool) ;-)

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.

by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 05:23:10 AM EST
No no, a big wood and metal relay switch, that is heroically pulled down by a scientist in a long white lab coat, goggles, and wild gray hair.  Preferably there will be a strong breeze, making his coat flutter in the wind.

That's SCIENCE!

by Zwackus on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 06:37:43 AM EST
The oscillations of the beam are too large

Even the beam is overexcited!

by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 04:11:41 AM EST
someone, help!!!

There's a little black thing floating round in front of my eyes here, I heard the radio this morning and they said watch out for black holes, is this one or is it a fly?

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 04:14:46 AM EST
PS I'd like to put this on the front page. Can you hold off from updating for three minutes from this timestamp while I do it?
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 04:16:10 AM EST
Hope I didn't squidge an update of yours. But check, it might have happened.

BTW, is that the time you're using at CERN, or do you need to put your user prefs on CET?

Alternatively, who knows what time it is and does it matter? (No, forget I said matter).

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 04:25:16 AM EST
Oh no, we don't even have full beam and already it's messing up the whole fabric of time-space....

DOOOOOM!!

by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 04:26:25 AM EST
Duh... I just realized it's probably time from the beginning of the operation. But it seems to nearly all get updated together.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 04:32:08 AM EST
No, it's the server time. But I don't know why it puts all the updates but the first two on the same timestamp.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 04:38:39 AM EST
No idea what happened. I am on CET, and the first few updates looked okay. Then they turned strange... Oh no! I think In Wales is correct below. We are messing up the space-time. Or possible it is the large scale release of strangelets?
by someone (s0me1smail(a)gmail(d)com) on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 04:32:03 AM EST
Strangelets?

You can't go for coffee, we might need saving.

by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 04:34:59 AM EST
Strangelets in the night,
Exchanging glances,
Wondering in the night,
What were the chances...

we'd be running into each other further round the collider...

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 04:41:32 AM EST
Or perhaps:

People are strange
When you're a strangelet
Quarks are ugly
When you're down.

The fact is that what we're experiencing right now is a top-down disaster. -Paul Krugman

by dvx (dvx.clt ät gmail dotcom) on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 05:24:38 AM EST
< holds breath>
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 04:25:26 AM EST
You see, this is WHY there are SO FEW physicists in the world.  You get two off these characters like someone together, hopefully one female, one male but with them, who can tell with all the giddy screaming, and they are toooooo damn busy looking for the button (yeah, you know which button I'm talking about) to get the job done.

Physicists, BAH!

Now BIOCHEMISTS!  Get two of THOSE BABIES together!  Look out!

They tried to assimilate me. They failed.

by THE Twank (yatta blah blah @ blah.com) on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 06:22:41 AM EST
What can the matter be?
Someone's gone and got locked in CERN's lavatory.
She'll be there from Wednesday to eternity,
Everyone knew she was where?

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 06:51:56 AM EST
I don't want your pity points metavision!!! I want acknowledgement for a brilliant gestaltian twist on the whole live LHC incident. But no...

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 04:19:19 PM EST
There. Quieten down now.
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Thu Sep 11th, 2008 at 08:39:00 AM EST
You try to take all your ratings with you, I don't want to carry all that weight.  Now, define gestaltian and brilliant and all that over my head.

Our knowledge has surpassed our wisdom. -Charu Saxena.
by metavision on Thu Sep 11th, 2008 at 07:31:11 PM EST
Has someone been swallowed by a black coffee hole?

"Dieu se rit des hommes qui se plaignent des conséquences alors qu'ils en chérissent les causes" Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet
by Melanchthon on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 07:15:55 AM EST
Fran? Someone? Anyone?

Oh noes!

Is Switzerland still there?

by ThatBritGuy (thatbritguy (at) googlemail.com) on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 07:21:24 AM EST
Yup, yup. I'm back. The beam finally made three turns and the machine can be said to have started up.
by someone (s0me1smail(a)gmail(d)com) on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 07:31:41 AM EST
For us out of the loop, on a serious note (if possible), if ALL goes perfectly, WHAT?  Obama wins?  Dick Cheney gets sucked down a black hole? (Can 1 black hole hold that much shit?)

What IS the point?

They tried to assimilate me. They failed.

by THE Twank (yatta blah blah @ blah.com) on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 07:38:44 AM EST
a 4 micron event horizon could swallow about 200 kilos - so yes, Cheney and Bush. Though I think we are being a little selfish - it's like sending your picnic rubbish on ahead of you to the picnic site. Do we really want another dimension to suffer them?

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 08:24:47 AM EST
Given the form they would arrive in, YES!!

Exactly HOW do we get this done?!

P.S. How do you know about those other dimensions?

They tried to assimilate me. They failed.

by THE Twank (yatta blah blah @ blah.com) on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 08:30:40 AM EST
I have no idea

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 08:39:12 AM EST
Very good.  Preferred to the alternative explanation.

They tried to assimilate me. They failed.
by THE Twank (yatta blah blah @ blah.com) on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 09:54:29 AM EST
No difference really, according to the latest neurological research ;-(

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 10:04:41 AM EST
I thought it was meant to be approaching lightspeed, and quite a while later its still only managed three turns, the black hole must be having quite an effect if the speed of light has become that slow.

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 08:05:04 AM EST
If only there was an event horizon big enough to swallow the Earth. Then we could all be stars.

(One of my oldest Bonk jokes...)

You can't be me, I'm taken

by Sven Triloqvist on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 08:27:24 AM EST
you feel...different...

my partner thinks it would be a nice way to go, getting sucked into another dimension.

we celebrated last night as maybe our last night, she's a tad more concerned about science screwing up than i tend to be, but then her dad was a nuclear engineer.

mad props for your blow-by-blow account, i felt like i was at the derby.

i keep expecting all the observers to walk out of the hall 2" tall! oops...

by melo (melometa4(at)gmail.com) on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 09:47:58 AM EST
by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 08:37:17 AM EST
For those who want to know what this is all about, here is the Large Hadron Rap:

by Torres on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 07:50:30 AM EST
Now it all makes sense.  All the invested money, time, effort ... so someone would have an excuse to make yet another rap video.  It all makes perfectly good sense now.  Silly me.

They tried to assimilate me. They failed.
by THE Twank (yatta blah blah @ blah.com) on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 08:39:15 AM EST
Wow, if this isn't a ET-Exclusive! Thank you someone, wish I could follow it live here, but Internet is not part of my work. :-)
by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 08:36:09 AM EST
Never mind Fran - at least in years to come you'll be able to say that you were there. Relatively.

But - what's this about pancakes?

by ThatBritGuy (thatbritguy (at) googlemail.com) on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 09:01:42 AM EST
Are you implying that thus god is, in fact, a lemon?

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 10:06:52 AM EST
She's certainly not a jug of maple syrup.
by ThatBritGuy (thatbritguy (at) googlemail.com) on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 10:37:46 AM EST
It's not certainly anything else either.

That I can see.

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 11:28:23 AM EST
Ho hum: still here then.

I drink: therefore I am.

by ChrisCook (cojockathotmaildotcom) on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 06:27:30 PM EST
Are physicists and engineers soon to know unemployment?  I don't know how things work with CERN and its contractors.

Once I built a railroad,
Made it run, made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad,
Now its done, brother can you spare a dime?

---Jay Gorney/E.Y.Harburg

"It is not necessary to have hope in order to persevere."

by ARGeezer (ARGeezer a in a circle eurotrib daught com) on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 at 11:23:33 PM EST
Physicist mostly start their work now, when the data is coming.
For the engeneers - if there really isn't soemthing to do for them any more at CERN - will be very welcome e.g. in the fusion research. Keeping an ulta-hot plasma alive requires vaquely similar skills than making protons rotate.

Der Amerikaner ist die Orchidee unter den Menschen
Volker Pispers
by Martin (weiser.mensch(at)googlemail.com) on Fri Sep 12th, 2008 at 01:00:57 PM EST