I think it's been a nice day here, or at least it's sunny right now. But I got caught up in planning a trip around Munich, location of pubs, how the S- & U-bahn work etc etc.

Plus annoyingly there's a well regarded pub that closes for the winter, just before I get there (harumph)

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Tue Oct 12th, 2010 at 12:02:37 PM EST
Make sure you get to the market - for food lovers.

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Tue Oct 12th, 2010 at 12:15:49 PM EST
mmmmmm, scrummy. You can guarantee I'll be making a beeline for that.

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Tue Oct 12th, 2010 at 01:57:23 PM EST
The Viktualienmarkt is a kind of farmer's market with open air stalls packed closely with enclosed kiosks. Imagine one of them - 50 sq m devoted only to cheese.

But if you needed a further come-on:

In the heart of the Viktualienmarkt, you find a beer garden; shaded by hundred-year old chestnut trees, this is a wonderful place to take a break from shopping and to watch the bustling market scene around you.

The beer garden, which sits 1000 people, offers hearty Bavarian specialties; try a pork roast with sauerkraut and dumplings, warm potatoes salad, or a "Brotzeit" platter with cold cuts and homemade artisan cheese. You can also bring your own food.

So, an intimate little spot for a quiet stein then?

You can't be me, I'm taken

by Sven Triloqvist on Tue Oct 12th, 2010 at 03:08:44 PM EST
Ah, but I do not trust myself with spending once I've started drinking, so I'll need to do all that before I avail myself of other opportunities

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Tue Oct 12th, 2010 at 03:56:59 PM EST
Museums tip.

Deutsches Museum (if you have a week) http://www.deutsches-museum.de/en/information/
Lenbachhaus - if you are into early 20th century art (Bruecke, Blauer Reiter, Kandinski, Jawlensky etc)

oh noeoeoe it is closed )-:

by PeWi on Tue Oct 12th, 2010 at 01:18:29 PM EST
thanks, I'll check the museum out. Sorry but visual art doesn't mean anything to me

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Tue Oct 12th, 2010 at 01:56:10 PM EST
There is still time to learn...

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Tue Oct 12th, 2010 at 03:09:29 PM EST
It's a language.

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Tue Oct 12th, 2010 at 03:09:56 PM EST
that museum looks like a cross between the British museum, the Science museum, the V&A & bits of others. I'll definitely step in. thanks

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Tue Oct 12th, 2010 at 02:22:41 PM EST
It is a a fab place. and I wasn't joking with the spending a week (-:

You can do all sorts of experiments, or go down a mine. Don't miss out on the electrical experiments. The have a faraday cage and set a model house alight with lightning. Quite noisy though...

And I am sure, they will have something on beer brewing as well. (Not that I can recall, but I would be surprised, if they hadn't)

by PeWi on Tue Oct 12th, 2010 at 03:00:36 PM EST
by PeWi on Tue Oct 12th, 2010 at 03:01:47 PM EST
There's actually a beer and brewing museum in the viktualmarket

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Tue Oct 12th, 2010 at 03:55:50 PM EST

24 July 2014