yes, amazing, huh? i didn't expect to get so emotional watching it.

it makes me think of how many humans are stuck down in darkness, and how for each one there's a ring of souls waiting with bated breath for the emergence from their chrysalis.

and how humans are wonderful at rallying after the fact, and yet how many miners will descend into poorly inspected, unsafe mines all over the world tomorrow as if this had never happened, heroes only recognised when things go pear-shaped?

and then there's the whole karma of mining coal anyway... hades' apple.

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned." - Richard Feynman

by melo (melometa4(at)gmail.com) on Wed Oct 13th, 2010 at 03:17:18 PM EST
One would hope that the media coverage of this rescue might also lead to change.

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Wed Oct 13th, 2010 at 03:23:43 PM EST
i'll drink to that! hic...

by melo (melometa4(at)gmail.com) on Wed Oct 13th, 2010 at 03:30:05 PM EST
I'll smoke to that...wow.

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Wed Oct 13th, 2010 at 04:00:32 PM EST
The film will be laced with the stories of hidden mistresses appearing, some that the wives didn't know about, some that the mistresses didn't know about.  even some kids.

of course, who knows about the wives either.  but humans are just so dumb lovable, sometimes.

either way, these guys will be scarred for life, and likely a lucky break that there were so many of them together.  had their been just a few, or alone in different pockets...

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Ana´s Nin

by Crazy Horse on Wed Oct 13th, 2010 at 03:33:58 PM EST
My preferred movie title would be 'Gemeinschaft'.

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Wed Oct 13th, 2010 at 04:05:33 PM EST
brilliant, sven

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Ana´s Nin
by Crazy Horse on Wed Oct 13th, 2010 at 04:14:00 PM EST
And that comment inspired me to watch Dr Strangelove again, late last night.

What a brilliant quirky movie - with Sellers at his best. When I first saw it I thought George C. Scott was way over the top. And George himself didn't like it when Kubrik asked for a standard, an emotional and an OTT take, and then consistently used the OTT.

But over the years, especially with our view of the military now, it is clear that Kubrik was right. Scott is brilliant.

We must also commend the bit parters in the War Room for standing solemnly in the background while Sellers did, apparently, 10 minute ridiculously funny improv takes. How they didn't corpse is beyond me.

You can't be me, I'm taken

by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Oct 15th, 2010 at 02:00:29 PM EST
2 days after posting i discover this.  good take, now i'll have to swatch again, (notice that the auto spell-checker now lets Swatch through).

but how did you know about the 3 different take versions?  How do you keep up a discussion on an OT that's dead 3 days already?

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Ana´s Nin

by Crazy Horse on Sun Oct 17th, 2010 at 01:22:16 PM EST
that little gem was in the Extras of the DVD.

You can't be me, I'm taken