Telegraph: Sound of silence vies to be Christmas number one

Facebook users are attempting to make four-and-a-half minutes' silence the prestigious Christmas number one in the charts.
Nearly 30,000 people have signed up to the campaign which aims to get experimental composer John Cage's silent piece 4'33'' in the festive top spot.

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Sat Oct 16th, 2010 at 10:24:23 AM EST
I like this. I like this a lot. I have no idea why.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Sat Oct 16th, 2010 at 10:46:31 AM EST
On this matter, John Cage, of course, remains silent.

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Ana´s Nin
by Crazy Horse on Sat Oct 16th, 2010 at 12:33:43 PM EST
well I wouldnt expect any response for at least a few minutes.

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Sat Oct 16th, 2010 at 01:28:53 PM EST
Do they mean four-and-a-half minutes exactly, or 4 minutes and 33 seconds? Wouldn't the latter be a copyright violation?
by gk (gk) on Sat Oct 16th, 2010 at 10:56:09 AM EST
oh no, the idea is to buy a performance of the John Cage piece in the week leading up to Christmas, it's a follow on to last years plan to stop Simon Cowells X-Factor winners getting the hugely commercial and publicity generating position. Last year this resulted in Rage against the Machines "Killing in the name" getting that position.

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Sat Oct 16th, 2010 at 11:16:27 AM EST
By extension the real problems are 1) Is it illegal to download silence, and 2) Do DJ's play the whole track 3) Are DJs allowed to talk over the track?

Everything else is just noise...

You can't be me, I'm taken

by Sven Triloqvist on Sat Oct 16th, 2010 at 01:15:11 PM EST
and is a shorter period of silence a derivative work, or could it be considered a sample?

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Sat Oct 16th, 2010 at 02:26:56 PM EST