... is to restructure the caucus balance of power in the Democratic delegation on the House side and fix the filibuster in the Senate. A radical progressive Presidency to fix all our problems is a children's bedtime story.

I've been accused of being a Marxist, yet while Harpo's my favourite, it's Groucho I'm always quoting. Odd, that.
by BruceMcF (agila61 at netscape dot net) on Sun Nov 7th, 2010 at 11:48:10 AM EST
Odd you should say that--
Fixing the caucus may well require huge and fundamental change to the nominating process first of all, and some useful dreaming could come in handy there--
And the filibuster may just save our butt in the next couple years. It is unlikely that the not-so-big "O" will muster the ---er, Audacity to veto generously.

Capitalism searches out the darkest corners of human potential, and mainlines them.
by geezer in Paris (risico at wanadoo(flypoop)fr) on Mon Nov 8th, 2010 at 09:06:57 AM EST
Filibuster by whom? Are we waiting for the Dems to display a backbone in defense of mainstreet? I'm not holding my breath.

The good news ... it's only a life sentence. You eventually leave this planet of idiots.
by THE Twank (yatta blah blah @ blah.com) on Mon Nov 8th, 2010 at 09:16:32 AM EST
Politicians are totally clueless (and not just in USA).They are simply "following the money" while whole system is falling apart. Their logic is "once we have enough money again, we'll repair it" (no meter what they have to "kill" in a process).But it's not that simple. When the damage is too big and crucial parts of the system has to be "written off" system will not work anymore. We cannot go back (at least not literally) and new system will be needed to come to place. What it will be? I wonder...

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind...Albert Einstein
by vbo on Mon Nov 8th, 2010 at 06:44:03 PM EST
... Congressional district level primary process? I don't follow how fixing the Democratic delegation to kill off the Blue Dog Caucus and replace the New Dems with a more useful caucus for the CPC to work with requires any changes to the congressional candidate nominating process at all, let alone major ones.

by BruceMcF (agila61 at netscape dot net) on Mon Nov 8th, 2010 at 11:17:31 PM EST
... is always the excuse used, but it never actually does. Its an argument that a bird in the bush is better than two in the hand.

Better to dispense with Aaron Burr's anti-democratic blunder entirely ~ supermajorities relieve the majority of responsibility as well as power, and are part of why California's state government is broken as well as why the Senate is where progressive reform goes to die.

by BruceMcF (agila61 at netscape dot net) on Mon Nov 8th, 2010 at 11:22:03 PM EST

24 July 2014