Info graphics from Asahi Shinbun:

The core is the long oval on top, the containment around it, the two 'legs' are the cross section of the torus in which steam is pumped into water, and apparently the venting is from there. On the right, in the bottom image, you see Fukushima Daiichi in red and Fukushima Daini in white. Above it, a drawing of Fukushima Daiichi; the top two squares are No. 5 and 6, then the first red one os No. 1, next to it No. 2 which is next to get seawater, then the second red is No. 3.

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.

by DoDo on Mon Mar 14th, 2011 at 05:15:26 AM EST
Here is another version of the why I am not worried about Japan's nuclear reactors article.

Fukushima Nuclear Accident - a simple and accurate explanation « BraveNewClimate

福島原発事故-簡潔で正確な 5299;説:(東京大学エンジニアリン 2464;在学生の翻訳) (thanks to Shota Yamanaka for translation)

Twitter updates: @BraveNewClimate

New 14 March: Updates and additional Q&A information here and Technical details here

-------------

Along with reliable sources such as the IAEA and WNN updates, there is an incredible amount of misinformation and hyperbole flying around the internet and media right now about the Fukushima nuclear reactor situation. In the BNC post Discussion Thread - Japanese nuclear reactors and the 11 March 2011 earthquake (and in the many comments that attend the top post), a lot of technical detail  is provided, as well as regular updates. But what about a layman's summary? How do most people get a grasp on what is happening, why, and what the consequences will be?

Below I reproduce a summary on the situation prepared by Dr Josef Oehmen, a research scientist at MIT, in Boston. He is a PhD Scientist, whose father has extensive experience in Germany's nuclear industry. This was first posted by Jason Morgan earlier this evening, and he has kindly allowed me to reproduce it here. I think it is very important that this information be widely understood.

Please also take the time to read this: An informed public is key to acceptance of nuclear energy -- it was never more relevant than now.

Anyway, alongside this

There are two diagrams of a BWR reactor:

This one we've seen already

But this one is new to me:

So, in what may be my last act of "advising", I'll advise you to cut the jargon. -- My old PhD advisor, to me, 26/2/11

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Mon Mar 14th, 2011 at 10:01:04 AM EST
If the structure is symmetrical about the vertical axis there is not much more width available for the "core catcher" than was available for the core. ?

As the Dutch said while fighting the Spanish: "It is not necessary to have hope in order to persevere."
by ARGeezer (ARGeezer a in a circle eurotrib daught com) on Mon Mar 14th, 2011 at 11:05:37 AM EST
I presume the "core catcher" is the bulb-shaped bottom of the vessel where the "core" is the vertical cylinder in the upper stem of the vessel.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Mon Mar 14th, 2011 at 11:10:33 AM EST
That is what I had presumed. It is possible that there are paths not shown in the diagram from the area beneath the core to the torus. I hope so.

by ARGeezer (ARGeezer a in a circle eurotrib daught com) on Mon Mar 14th, 2011 at 11:15:34 AM EST
From the 3D cutout diagram there should be 6 to 8 "81in diameter vents" (of which we see 2 in the 2D section) from the primary containment to the torus.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Mon Mar 14th, 2011 at 11:18:40 AM EST
But this diagram shows a concrete wall between the reactor and the vents. The material would seem to have to fill up the area under the vessel before it could get to the vents. It would be nice if they could show a diagram that obviously would work.

by ARGeezer (ARGeezer a in a circle eurotrib daught com) on Mon Mar 14th, 2011 at 02:06:37 PM EST
I see what you mean, though the 3D cutout does show the cylindrical vents extending all the way to the vertical cylindrical wall around the inner containment vessel.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Mon Mar 14th, 2011 at 05:34:52 PM EST
And, worse, the vents are shown with fans blowing INTO the cavity from which the melted core would be draining. So, WTF are they showing?

by ARGeezer (ARGeezer a in a circle eurotrib daught com) on Mon Mar 14th, 2011 at 09:15:50 PM EST

Recent Diaries