I just figured out why you keep talking about the British - you're thinking about the "market" while I'm thinking about the ECB...

There are two principal centers of action here: London (via the City, the Financial Times and The Economist) and Frankfurt (Bundesbank, ECB, Financial Times Deutschland).

Economics is politics by other means

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Tue Apr 12th, 2011 at 06:47:29 AM EST
Frankfurt (Bundesbank, ECB, Financial Times Deutschland)

On the last, you mean FAZ (FTD is in Hamburg).

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.

by DoDo on Tue Apr 12th, 2011 at 08:03:36 AM EST
I think Migeru an opthers are using Frankurt more like a imaginary place. Not so much the real location.
by IM on Tue Apr 12th, 2011 at 12:31:51 PM EST
Metonymy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Metonymy (pronounced mɨˈtɒnɨmi, mi-ton-uh-mee [1]) is a figure of speech used in rhetoric in which a thing or concept is not called by its own name, but by the name of something intimately associated with that thing or concept. For instance, "Westminster" is used as a metonym (an instance of metonymy) for the Parliament of the United Kingdom, because it is located there.

Economics is politics by other means
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Tue Apr 12th, 2011 at 12:46:52 PM EST
... Hamburg, but its heart is in Frankfort?

I've been accused of being a Marxist, yet while Harpo's my favourite, it's Groucho I'm always quoting. Odd, that.
by BruceMcF (agila61 at netscape dot net) on Wed Apr 13th, 2011 at 01:59:15 PM EST
but was the FTD as bad as the FAZ in the crisis-mongering?

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Wed Apr 13th, 2011 at 05:12:01 PM EST
... Financial Times.

by BruceMcF (agila61 at netscape dot net) on Wed Apr 13th, 2011 at 07:00:03 PM EST

Recent Diaries

Reversing Brexit?

by Frank Schnittger - Jun 25
2 comments

Should I vote for Brexit?

by tyronen - Jun 22