Well, I don't blame anyone for what their parents did, and I don't blame defence counsels for doing their job.
by Katrin on Fri Feb 17th, 2012 at 01:24:14 PM EST
Except that Richard von W was defending his own father and associating with him in the supposed ignorance of what happened to Jews deported to the East.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri Feb 17th, 2012 at 01:29:38 PM EST
He was a law student and defending his own father. Nothing wrong with that. He associated with his father in regard to the father's guilt. Well, it was his father. This did not make the son guilty (though probably naïve). I blame Richard v.W. for his intentional amnesia concerning his own role in the holocaust and the cruelties against Russians.
by Katrin on Fri Feb 17th, 2012 at 01:54:16 PM EST
Well, I see it as also associated with his father's amnesia. Not that it changes the case.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri Feb 17th, 2012 at 01:57:25 PM EST
Don't you see a difference between not wishing to believe in the guilt of a loved one and shirking responsibility for own deeds?
by Katrin on Fri Feb 17th, 2012 at 02:39:37 PM EST
I can understand the difference, but in this case I suggest there might be a link.

On the other hand, I have no idea if the amnesia of both father and son was a deliberate ploy, or a shared state of denial.

When I say it makes no difference to the case, I meant the case whether Richard von W should be president again. He shouldn't (quite apart from his advanced age).

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri Feb 17th, 2012 at 02:49:51 PM EST

Smudges