A catastrophic day on Finnish roads in the south. Hovering near -20 C with a blizzard of light snow that doesn't settle, so on the motorways the vehicles stir it up into an impenetrable visual barrier. There was a 200 car chaos on the main motorway north from Helsinki that closed it in both directions. Nobody hurt, but the panel-beaters are breaking out the bubbly.

A time for staying snug at home, eating well, drinking some wine, and watching an old trusted movie with friends. Oh, and candles.

You can't be me, I'm taken

by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Feb 3rd, 2012 at 12:23:55 PM EST
Sigh... don't stop.

'tis strange I should be old and neither wise nor valiant. From "The Maid's Tragedy" by Beaumont & Fletcher
by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Fri Feb 3rd, 2012 at 12:27:07 PM EST
wow.  that's a lot of cars.  be safe, Sven.
by stevesim on Fri Feb 3rd, 2012 at 12:29:29 PM EST
It's a lot of panel-beating.

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Feb 3rd, 2012 at 12:33:43 PM EST
and ET on the intertubes.... you missed out that

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Fri Feb 3rd, 2012 at 12:36:29 PM EST
Sometimes Vertical Reality intrudes...

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Feb 3rd, 2012 at 01:39:23 PM EST
Except for the pile-up, it sounds cozy.
by ElaineinNM on Fri Feb 3rd, 2012 at 02:32:02 PM EST
It is. We've been sitting round the warm glittering glow of a 26" iMac, looking at rough cuts of Klaffen's latest TV commercials.

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Feb 3rd, 2012 at 02:37:04 PM EST
Oh do you like candles too? I just love candles, especially the organic beeswax tea light candles my friend Tapani Kärkkäinen at the Savonlinnan kauppatori makes for me. I know he thinks I'm a little crazy because the candles are considerably more expensive than the usual paraffin type, and I am his only customer so far, but the candles are delicious in every way (even when they aren't lit) and are definitely worth every penny.

If I ever decide to open up a little kiosk here I would certainly sell these candles, together with my hemp linens ... and maybe Guaymas-style fish tacos.

by sgr2 on Sat Feb 4th, 2012 at 12:03:47 PM EST
Candles are sort of Finnish winter for me. I like the little votive candles - you need several of them - either on a plate (not close together) or in holders. And I also like the tradition of outside candles (very thick wick, if you'll pardon the expression) to welcome guests. If you want to go interior decorator magazine, then make a large 'bucket' out of snowballs and put one of these outside candles inside.

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Sat Feb 4th, 2012 at 02:18:05 PM EST

News and Views

31 August - 4 September 2015

by In Wales - Aug 31, 8 comments

Your take on today's news media

26 - 30 August 2015

by In Wales - Aug 26, 49 comments

Your take on today's news media

Open Thread 24-31 August

by Bjinse - Aug 24, 19 comments

Please keep calm and carry on chatting

Open Thread 17-23 August

Periphery, migration & decline

by Metatone - Aug 14
24 comments

1930s in social media

by DoDo - Aug 11
91 comments

It's "Whose Economy, Stupid?"

by Helen - Aug 3