In an hour or so I'll be off for a week. I'm not sure how much I'll be online during that time, so if I don't see yer, you know where I am

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Mon Feb 6th, 2012 at 11:57:33 AM EST
Cheers then... take care in the balkanized underbelly...

It is rightly acknowledged that people of faith have no monopoly of virtue - Queen Elizabeth II
by eurogreen on Mon Feb 6th, 2012 at 12:10:36 PM EST
Well, if you happen to swing through Berchtesgadener Land on your to-and-fro to Bulgaria, you have my number!

'tis strange I should be old and neither wise nor valiant. From "The Maid's Tragedy" by Beaumont & Fletcher
by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Mon Feb 6th, 2012 at 04:24:06 PM EST
I'll be going through Munich on Friday, but no time to turn right, Maybe Apr 30? I was planning to go home from Zurich afternnon of Apr 29, but I couldn make a Berchtesgandner detour - though you may stll be in Paris.
by gk (gk) on Mon Feb 6th, 2012 at 04:31:09 PM EST
We get back to Munich on Air France about noon on the 30th. Are you traveling by train? Maybe we could pick you up somewhere en route.

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Tue Feb 7th, 2012 at 02:03:44 AM EST
Took a while to find your post. I was planning to go home by train from Zurich evening on the 29th. I thought of going to Munich that evening but that is complicated since there are no longer direct trains. Staying in Zurich is probably too expensive (though good quality. There are a few 4-stars offering 2-star prices, but they are still upper-end Swiss 2-start prices).

We could think of July 19 when I'll be free somewhere in Southern Bayern.

by gk (gk) on Thu Feb 9th, 2012 at 03:32:59 PM EST
there's some good B&B's in Zurich that are not too expensive and the youth hostel has private rooms which are not too bad.
by stevesim on Thu Feb 9th, 2012 at 03:34:14 PM EST
Which youth hostel is that? Whenever I find  a low-cost place they "improve" it and "improve" the prices"

Anyway, a detour though Munich would probably take a bit too long as well (and I will probably commit to my old plans by buying the Innsbruck-Trento section when I'm in Innsbruck tomorrow - compulsory reservation as it's the night train to Rome, but OeBB does not sell it online).

by gk (gk) on Thu Feb 9th, 2012 at 03:41:47 PM EST
the Jugendheberge in Zurich costs about 70 chf per night if you are in a room by yourself, 42 if you share with others.  it's easy to find.  take the number 7 tram outside of the Hauptbahnhof to Wollishofen and walk about 500 m.

it should just be listed in english as the Zurich youth hostel, although you don't need to be a youth to stay there.

if you don't like that, try Dakini's B&B for about 70 chf for a single.  there are other b&b's as well, but I know that one.

by stevesim on Thu Feb 9th, 2012 at 03:49:36 PM EST
g'luck! better pack yer long johns, you're heading into quite the snowmergency zone...

"We can all be prosperous but we can't all be rich." Ian Welsh