now seems to force a page reload. I hate this viscerally, it's completely nonsensical for almost any site not actually doing a financial transaction or whatever. (I'll check if I didn't just hallucinate it...)

It is rightly acknowledged that people of faith have no monopoly of virtue - Queen Elizabeth II
by eurogreen on Thu Jan 17th, 2013 at 09:25:44 AM EST
And I hate it. Hate hate hate.

(And I'm really not a hating person. Come to think of it, it's mostly technology I hate.)

by eurogreen on Thu Jan 17th, 2013 at 09:28:27 AM EST
Mine loads the previous page. I just love how it does that.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Thu Jan 17th, 2013 at 09:37:21 AM EST
I don't think it's doing anything special that should cause a reload. Re-running JS maybe?
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Thu Jan 17th, 2013 at 07:05:11 PM EST
What I want to happen when I push the back button is to redisplay the previous page from my browser's cache. What it seems to be doing is re-executing the URL, server side. This is definitely a bug, unless you can explain why it's a feature!

by eurogreen on Fri Jan 18th, 2013 at 03:40:05 AM EST
i.e. after posting the above comment, then clicking the back button twice, I can see the thread with my new comment, flagged in red as "new".

Come to think of it, that is not correct at all, because I have already viewed the thread after posting said comment, so it should no longer be "new", if it is re-executing the original URL of that page.

Yeah, javascript.

OK, I'll be a disciplined user and explain why the changed behaviour is a problem for me :
When I'm reading the new comments in a thread, sometimes I post a reply, then flick back to where I was, so I can go to the next "new" (unread by me) comment. This is no longer supported, apparently.

by eurogreen on Fri Jan 18th, 2013 at 03:48:01 AM EST
After posting the above comment, the URL is :

After hitting the back button twice, the URL is :

and yet it displays (in red) comment 161, which shouldn't exist in that version of the page.

Perhaps we've discovered a wormhole in the space-time continuum. The consequences could be devastating : instead of just looking at the past, I'm going back to the past and changing it.

by eurogreen on Fri Jan 18th, 2013 at 03:53:04 AM EST
but if it's not bothering anyone else, please don't lose any sleep over it (or tai chi lessons!)

by eurogreen on Fri Jan 18th, 2013 at 03:54:12 AM EST
Replying to this to test.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri Jan 18th, 2013 at 04:08:31 AM EST
OK, bad test, new one.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri Jan 18th, 2013 at 04:09:23 AM EST
Yes, you're right. The page is displayed with the new comment.

My way of handling this has always been to do the comment in a new tab, keeping the former version of the page up in the first tab I can then return to.

So I don't remember how your system worked before.

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri Jan 18th, 2013 at 04:12:11 AM EST
We could easily have a diary about how people use ET, tips and tricks. By sharing, everyone could learn something, i'll bet. The makeover is a good time for it.

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Ana´s Nin
by Crazy Horse on Fri Jan 18th, 2013 at 06:46:33 AM EST
I just can't think of any change we've made that would trigger that. If you're sufficiently annoyed, you could try figuring out why it's happening. I don't have time to diagnose it right now or even to ask google.

Actually, I vaguely wonder if it's related to the comments not displaying problem people are getting periodically.

by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Fri Jan 18th, 2013 at 06:53:44 AM EST