i.e. after posting the above comment, then clicking the back button twice, I can see the thread with my new comment, flagged in red as "new".

Come to think of it, that is not correct at all, because I have already viewed the thread after posting said comment, so it should no longer be "new", if it is re-executing the original URL of that page.

Yeah, javascript.

OK, I'll be a disciplined user and explain why the changed behaviour is a problem for me :
When I'm reading the new comments in a thread, sometimes I post a reply, then flick back to where I was, so I can go to the next "new" (unread by me) comment. This is no longer supported, apparently.

It is rightly acknowledged that people of faith have no monopoly of virtue - Queen Elizabeth II

by eurogreen on Fri Jan 18th, 2013 at 03:48:01 AM EST
After posting the above comment, the URL is :

After hitting the back button twice, the URL is :

and yet it displays (in red) comment 161, which shouldn't exist in that version of the page.

Perhaps we've discovered a wormhole in the space-time continuum. The consequences could be devastating : instead of just looking at the past, I'm going back to the past and changing it.

by eurogreen on Fri Jan 18th, 2013 at 03:53:04 AM EST
but if it's not bothering anyone else, please don't lose any sleep over it (or tai chi lessons!)

by eurogreen on Fri Jan 18th, 2013 at 03:54:12 AM EST
Replying to this to test.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri Jan 18th, 2013 at 04:08:31 AM EST
OK, bad test, new one.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri Jan 18th, 2013 at 04:09:23 AM EST
Yes, you're right. The page is displayed with the new comment.

My way of handling this has always been to do the comment in a new tab, keeping the former version of the page up in the first tab I can then return to.

So I don't remember how your system worked before.

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri Jan 18th, 2013 at 04:12:11 AM EST
We could easily have a diary about how people use ET, tips and tricks. By sharing, everyone could learn something, i'll bet. The makeover is a good time for it.

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Ana´s Nin