I arrest you in the name of the Commission!

by Colman Tue Sep 13th, 2005 at 12:13:43 PM EST

This should be fun:

Brussels has won the power to make governments apply criminal sanctions against companies that break EU environmental law.

The move, hailed by the European Commission as a “landmark” ruling, could extend the EU executive's rights into new policy areas.

Criminal sanctions for breaches of EU internal market, data protection laws and intellectual property rights could become the norm.

Hopefully they'll go after Microsoft first.
by asdf on Tue Sep 13th, 2005 at 12:38:55 PM EST
This:

sanctions against companies that break EU environmental law

...heading this:

...looks like a Trojan horse to me. Or window dressing. Or what is the appropiate English expression for selling a policy with its opposite.

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.

by DoDo on Tue Sep 13th, 2005 at 03:25:51 PM EST
It's an interesting change in the balance of power certainly.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Tue Sep 13th, 2005 at 06:03:45 PM EST
Yep, but what is it worth?

I don't see many members of this Commission (especially Barroso) as ones who'd really care to use their new powers to persecute companies breaking environmental laws - as opposed to using their powers on the pro-business issues, which (by 'breaking' rules on competitiveness) can in fact mean crushing pro-environment legislation.

More generally, I would only like to see the Commission getting stronger if the Parliament got significantly stronger before, as the democratic check-and-balance on the Commission. Unless that happens, such empowering only enhances the effect of anti-democratic tendencies in the Council (i.e. the national governments).

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.

by DoDo on Wed Sep 14th, 2005 at 06:00:59 AM EST
I didn't say it was good: I said it would be fun and interesting. These are not expressions of enthusiasm!

I'm not in favour of more power for the Commission - I'd prefer to see them answer more to the Parliament as you say. This makes the Commission more powerful relative to the Council as well.

by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Wed Sep 14th, 2005 at 06:34:10 AM EST

:-)

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.

by DoDo on Wed Sep 14th, 2005 at 08:41:42 AM EST
Im OK about this. After all, at national level these kinds of prosecutions go on anyway.
by mango2002 on Wed Sep 14th, 2005 at 04:35:46 AM EST