Who is Mr Natural? ([UPDATE]: with poll)

by Melanchthon Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 06:54:37 AM EST

In a comment in the diary "Free market and mind", whataboutbob asked this question: "So who is Mr Natural here [on ET]? (with thanks to R. Crumb ~ wab)

I think it is a very important question which is worth a diary and a poll. You will find some pictures of Mr Natural below. Who do you recognise?

An article with profound social & philosophical significance!! From the diaries ~ whataboutbob

So, who is ET's Mr Natural?

Please, take the poll...

Poll
So, who is ET's Mr Natural?
. whataboutbob 3%
. Drew J Jones 0%
. Metavision 0%
. Melanchthon 0%
. other 0%

Votes: 26
Results | Other Polls
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 06:11:28 AM EST
At first appearance, he is a mystic guru
Fran?
who spouts aphorisms on the evils of the modern world and the salvation to be found in mysticism and natural living.
De?
He has renounced the material world and lives off anything he can get in exchange for his nuggets of wisdom.
Melo?
Usually depicted as slightly overweight (although his size varies), he is bald, has a long white beard, and wears a gown which makes him resemble the Old Testament God or a prophet.

Part wise man, part conman,

Sven?
Mr. Natural has strange, magical powers and possesses cosmic insight, but is also moody, cynical, self-pitying, and suffers from various strange sexual obsessions.
Myself?
He is endlessly being accosted by would-be disciples seeking the truth
Jerome?
(among them such long-running Crumb characters as Flakey Foont and Shuman the human). He typically regards them with amused condescension and a certain grudging affection, although his patience often wears thin and he takes sadistic pleasure in making them feel like idiots.
richardk?
While he is typically very cool and in control, he sometimes ends up in humiliating predicaments like getting tossed in jail for child molestation or languishing for years in a mental institution. In recent years he has entered into a tempestuous relationship with Devil Girl, another popular Crumb character.
I think this is a composite of all of ET. It's hilarious.

"It's the statue, man, The Statue."
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 06:19:49 AM EST
Here is a clue:

In recent years he has entered into a tempestuous relationship with Devil Girl

But then, who is Devil Girl?

"Dieu se rit des hommes qui se plaignent des conséquences alors qu'ils en chérissent les causes" Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

by Melanchthon on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 06:34:21 AM EST
Oh, don't let's go there...
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 06:36:06 AM EST
Why not?

devious diva, poemless, vbo, the stormy present, <insert your favourite devil girl here>, ...

"It's the statue, man, The Statue."

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 06:37:58 AM EST
...Maryscott O'Connor... the Unbossed community...

"It's the statue, man, The Statue."
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 06:38:56 AM EST
This one here is Devil Girl:

Er, do we run a poll?

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 07:19:09 AM EST
do we run a poll?

Too dangerous...

by Melanchthon on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 07:23:30 AM EST
Too dangerous...

Hahahaha...
Wise man!

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind...Albert Einstein
by vbo on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 06:37:00 PM EST

by Melanchthon on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 06:59:11 AM EST
Well you've met me, so of course you are going to get my bit right ;-)

But they're all fun and made me laugh out loud, which slightly distrubed the electrician trying to fix the hot water system which failed to deliver for my shower this morning.

Is there some Law of Phsyics that states that 'important facilities always go down at times their repairers will be unavailable' or is it a just a subclause of Murphy's Law?

You can't be me, I'm taken

by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 08:50:06 AM EST
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 06:27:36 AM EST
For some reason the phrase 'Sam - have you seen my skull?' sprang to mind.

I think I really need to switch to decaf.

by ThatBritGuy (thatbritguy (at) googlemail.com) on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 06:30:16 AM EST

by Melanchthon on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 10:03:18 AM EST
Sorry TBG, second time I gave you a 3 instead of a 4. Error corrected. :-)
by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Sat Mar 10th, 2007 at 02:22:57 AM EST
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 06:30:30 AM EST
is Flakey Foont:

Strongly kcurie at the end there...

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 06:34:53 AM EST
Yep, it's Friday all right.

"It's the statue, man, The Statue."
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 06:36:21 AM EST

But is it the secret of the universe, Mr Natch, you old charlatan?

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 06:38:10 AM EST
This whole article is HILARIOUS!!! And well suited for Friday...I really needed a good laugh, and this is just what the d...er, Mr Natural ordered! (Thanks Malanchthon & afew!!)

by whataboutbob on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 06:46:22 AM EST

by Melanchthon on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 06:48:32 AM EST
Hey!! Where's the poll?

by whataboutbob on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 06:56:56 AM EST
I didn't find how to make enough question lines on the poll form. Can you help me?

by Melanchthon on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 07:01:11 AM EST
The number of questions allowed is configurable by the site admins through a "site control". The default and current value is 10. How many answers do you need?

"It's the statue, man, The Statue."
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 07:06:20 AM EST
"How many answers do you need?"

by Melanchthon on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 07:14:48 AM EST
Disclaimer: I'm not a site admin.

"It's the statue, man, The Statue."
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 07:22:47 AM EST
Is someone doing it, or shall I?
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 07:25:12 AM EST
Done. 30 lines in poll. Not yet tested.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 07:28:02 AM EST
OK, I see 30 answers lined up. Go ahead Melanchthon.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 07:29:58 AM EST
Done, thanks, afew!

by Melanchthon on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 07:52:52 AM EST
"Is someone doing it, or shall I?"

Please

by Melanchthon on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 07:29:33 AM EST

by Melanchthon on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 07:18:27 AM EST
"get one!"

"It's the statue, man, The Statue."
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 07:22:11 AM EST
I was thinking he may be Jerome in disguise, but I'm not so sure now...

by whataboutbob on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 07:30:03 AM EST

by Melanchthon on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 07:56:07 AM EST
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 07:56:24 AM EST
A social construction? Then it could be kcurie...

by Melanchthon on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 08:01:30 AM EST
Or even more In Wales... But In Wales is more likely to be... Devil Girl!
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 08:56:08 AM EST
I've been sussed!
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 12:09:14 PM EST
Now who drew that one..?
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 08:52:16 AM EST
An aside...I saw a movie on R. Crumb a few years back, and at the time of the filming of that movie, he was moving to rural France somewhere. Maybe he will show up here on day...

by whataboutbob on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 08:10:05 AM EST

and fights a fight against a supermarket in Sauve, betweeen Nîmes and Montpellier

see Choc des civilisations dans le Gard

google crumb + sauve and you'll find plenty of links about the story.

He recently was on France 3

by oldfrog on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 08:17:42 AM EST
every excellent post in this one with a 4 - it would look too much like ass-licking. But consider every contribution to be rated thus.

I'm undergoing a lot of guffaws at the moment...

You can't be me, I'm taken

by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 08:53:47 AM EST
Damn, is that what I'm doing...smooch, smooch.  Well, I seemed to be kissing ass all day at work, so its probably just a carryover.  smooch smooch

"I said, 'Wait a minute, Chester, You know I'm a peaceful man...'" Robbie Robertson
by NearlyNormal on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 10:01:45 PM EST
Reached peak 4:s have you?

by A swedish kind of death on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 10:37:10 PM EST
My vote goes to KCurie (sorry Brighton!) I mean he is Mr Myth, after all.

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 09:10:42 AM EST
hmmm...sven has a beard...could it be...?

by whataboutbob on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 09:51:25 AM EST
Bob, migu's cut&paste description of me is more on the mark. I'm more Crumb than Natural.

Anyway Jérôme would be Monsieur Naturel, wouldn't he?

You can't be me, I'm taken

by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 09:58:49 AM EST
More Crumb?

What you have a taste for dominant, solidly built women?

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.

by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 01:59:30 PM EST
Ok, anti-crumb, then...

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 02:05:41 PM EST
by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 09:18:32 AM EST

by Melanchthon on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 09:44:59 AM EST
Well, I'm off for a few hours...

by Melanchthon on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 10:54:31 AM EST
Thanks Melanchthon...excellent!

(...soaking in a hot bath, my secret addiction...maybe I'm him after all!)

by whataboutbob on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 11:08:58 AM EST
It's definitely not me - I don't do major battle with the dehumanizing aspects of modern life by wandering the earth as a neohippie. I just passively lament it on the internet.

you are the media you consume.

by MillMan (millguy at gmail) on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 02:18:59 PM EST
Typical of the younger generation.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 04:20:12 PM EST
Same with yours, just happened at a later age.

you are the media you consume.

by MillMan (millguy at gmail) on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 04:30:48 PM EST
How can it be anyone other than Sven?

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.
by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 06:56:46 PM EST
The payola is on its way now.  Please remember to to inform your mail department, that a fat jiffy bag is coming in. If it fails to arrive, you will understand that there is a helluva lot of interception going on. My IP is too well known.

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Mar 9th, 2007 at 07:03:25 PM EST
Mr. Natural is a comic book character created by Robert Crumb in the mid 1960s. His first major appearence took place Zap comix #1 in 1967. (although his first appearence took place in the underground newspaper  Yarrowstalks on May 5, 1967)

He has appeared on a sparadic basis ever since. Mr. Natural #3, of which the cover is shown above, contains the comic strip version of MN's adventures, which appeared in the Villiage Voice in 1977.

Accused or racism and sexism in his home country, Crumb fled to France, where that sort of thing is more acceptable [in the arts]...and where they hate Americans as a matter of course.

If you are interested in him, rent the documentary on Crumb. It's easy to find on DVD, it's called "Crumb."

by messy on Sun Mar 11th, 2007 at 01:49:42 PM EST