Paris Meet-up - June 16th is coming nearer!

by Fran Fri Jun 1st, 2007 at 02:38:42 PM EST

Thought I start a new Paris Meet-up diary. So far, if I looked correctly the following people will be at the lunch on Saturday 16th.

Jérôme
afew
Colman + Sam
Nanne
Someone + husband
Lupin + wife
Metatone
Melanchton
dvx
LEP
In Wales
Helen
bruno-ken + sister (to be confirmed)
Fran
linca
Laurent Guerby
Migeru
whataboutbob + Liliana
geezer + Ivonne
metavision

(Bumped by afew, whataboutbob & Fran)

Maybe:
ceebs
Ted Welch + Monserrat
nicta
das monde

I hope I got everyone - should I have missed someone (no not you) please let me know in a comment and I add you to the list above.

Another question - last year we were a few vegetarians. How about this year, who besides me would like vegetarian food?

And here are some links for accomodation:

I still got a room last week at the adress Jérôme gave:

Hôtel Passy-Home

which I guess will be near the place were we will be meeting.

Other links that have been added in the comments:

Rates to go

The Houses which offers chambre d'hôtes, which I assume is B&B.

And here the links to the former Meet-up diaries

Paris meet-up: June 16th? by whataboutbob
Paris Meet-up - 16th June by Colman

There is also a list for Friday - but LEP or afew know more about that.
by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Sun May 13th, 2007 at 06:14:51 AM EST
I would really like to come...but still working on it...

by whataboutbob on Sun May 13th, 2007 at 07:06:43 AM EST
I confirm I'll be there (Friday included if there's something organised).

I'm omnivore so veg is fine too.

by Laurent GUERBY on Tue May 15th, 2007 at 01:43:13 PM EST
I've sent you the same email as to the others interested by Friday.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Tue May 15th, 2007 at 02:45:40 PM EST
Friday's list is, at this point:

linca
Metatone
Jérôme
someone + husband
Helen
bruno-ken (+ sister perhaps)
In Wales
Fran
nanne
Melanchthon
Laurent GUERBY
LEP + wife
afew

Did everyone get my email?

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Tue May 15th, 2007 at 03:12:01 PM EST
Here's a link to some photos I took in April of Chez Pradel where we'll be having our pre-meetup meetup on Friday June 15 at about 8:30 p.m. (There's a Montmarte promenade at about 4:30 guided by LEP and afew -admission gratuit.) Chez Pradel will make a buffet for us and we'll have the back room to ouselves. There's still some places free for any latecomers.

Hey, Grandma Moses started late!
by LEP on Fri May 25th, 2007 at 09:41:53 AM EST
Forgot to mention the buffet is 15 euros per head including un quart de vin. It will include quiches, salads and coldcuts.

Hey, Grandma Moses started late!
by LEP on Fri May 25th, 2007 at 09:53:06 AM EST
And cheese and desert.

Hey, Grandma Moses started late!
by LEP on Fri May 25th, 2007 at 10:41:42 AM EST
No hard-boiled eggs?

"Dieu se rit des hommes qui se plaignent des conséquences alors qu'ils en chérissent les causes" Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet
by Melanchthon on Sat May 26th, 2007 at 02:50:43 PM EST
I'll make a special request. How many?

Hey, Grandma Moses started late!
by LEP on Sat May 26th, 2007 at 06:17:35 PM EST
Two

by Melanchthon on Mon May 28th, 2007 at 06:41:53 PM EST

by Melanchthon on Fri Jun 1st, 2007 at 06:18:10 AM EST
Who ordered that?

Can the last politician to go out the revolving door please turn the lights off?
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Jun 1st, 2007 at 06:33:11 AM EST
I didn't realize Groucho spoke such good Spanish.

Hey, Grandma Moses started late!
by LEP on Fri Jun 1st, 2007 at 03:15:45 PM EST
Looks nice!
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri May 25th, 2007 at 04:10:56 PM EST
Afew mentioned maybe some people meeting on arrival from the Eurostar if anyone is arriving at broadly the same time? I arrive at Paris Nord at 19.47 and I guess we'll be making our way straight over to Chez Pradel.
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Tue May 29th, 2007 at 04:26:17 AM EST
We just need to know the time and the place now.
by Lupin on Sun May 13th, 2007 at 11:38:14 AM EST
from noon or so (but starting really at 1pm) near Maison de la Radio.

We'll have a full sidewalk terrace for ourselves for the afternoon with friendly staff.

In the long run, we're all dead. John Maynard Keynes

by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Sun May 13th, 2007 at 01:39:20 PM EST
I think bruno-ken will be accompanied by his sister.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Sun May 13th, 2007 at 11:50:16 AM EST
I will definitely be there.  However, my sister may be working on a project that weekend, so I can't confirm yet whether she will be able to make it.  If there is a deadline for final count, I will ask her to let me know before then.

Truth unfolds in time through a communal process.
by marco on Sun May 13th, 2007 at 11:25:23 PM EST
I'm definitely a carnivore. Vegetarian food is okay but I have my preference.

Hmm, gotta get a hotel. I'm coming by car so I'll need a hotel with parking. Would staying outside the city and commuting in be a better bet ? Tho' I know it's better to be in town but I hate the idea of driving around lost in an unfamiliar city.

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Mon May 14th, 2007 at 04:25:05 PM EST
easy to park near the hotel I mentioned. And it's free over the week-end.

In the long run, we're all dead. John Maynard Keynes
by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Mon May 14th, 2007 at 05:44:11 PM EST
I'm arriving thursday night. How's parking all day friday ?

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Tue May 15th, 2007 at 06:36:34 AM EST
There are times that are easier than others, but you should pretty much always find a spot. You risk a fine (11 euros) if you park without paying the charges (2 euros per hour), but that's irrelevant if you have a foreign-registered car.

In the long run, we're all dead. John Maynard Keynes
by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Tue May 15th, 2007 at 09:39:33 AM EST
Two euros an hour !! From Thursday afternoon through till sunday !!! Jeez, I ain't that rich.

Hmm, need to find a hotel with parking.

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Tue May 15th, 2007 at 09:43:40 AM EST
No, no. The weekend is free... Probably free after 18 or 19 on Friday if like most cities with free weekend parking.
Jerome a Paris:And it's free over the week-end.
by someone (s0me1smail(a)gmail(d)com) on Tue May 15th, 2007 at 09:59:23 AM EST
It's free from Friday 7pm. Just don't pay, you'll get at most a 11 euros fine. The car will not be towed or impounded if it's a normal parking space (i.e. don't park on delivery (livraisons) spots).

In the long run, we're all dead. John Maynard Keynes
by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Tue May 15th, 2007 at 10:11:03 AM EST
You need to pay only from 9am to 7pm and like I said, it's highly unlikely that you'll get more than one fine, if at all.

In the long run, we're all dead. John Maynard Keynes
by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Tue May 15th, 2007 at 10:12:19 AM EST
Interesting, a 20 euro charge or an 11 euro fine. In the UK it would be a 20 euro charge or a 200 euro fine + towing + release charges.

Okay I'm sold, I like easy stuff being fundamentally lazy.

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Tue May 15th, 2007 at 10:36:30 AM EST
hey, i thought migeru was coming to this thing.  is he not going to be able to make it then?

Truth unfolds in time through a communal process.
by marco on Wed May 16th, 2007 at 12:01:54 AM EST
Don't worry, I'll be there with a GoBan for you ;-)

Bush is a symptom, not the disease.
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Wed May 23rd, 2007 at 03:36:24 AM EST
I'll just be taking the Eurostar to Paris and back on the same day, as Barbara cannot really make it.

I arrive at 10:59 and leave at 19:19.

See you all there!

Bush is a symptom, not the disease.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Wed May 23rd, 2007 at 03:35:52 AM EST
I hope to make it to the Fri ev. (where when ?) and with partner, Montserrat, to the Sat. lunch.

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner - that I moved to Nice.

by Ted Welch (tedwelch-at-mac-dot-com) on Thu May 24th, 2007 at 08:10:29 PM EST
Will email you.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri May 25th, 2007 at 01:30:06 AM EST
Put me on the Friday email list too...I really hope to come, just working on Lili to come with.

by whataboutbob on Fri May 25th, 2007 at 12:50:48 PM EST
OK.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri May 25th, 2007 at 04:12:09 PM EST
Okay, finally, we got schedules straightened out...and Lili and I will definitely be coming on Friday and Saturday. Looking forward to seeing everyone!

by whataboutbob on Tue May 29th, 2007 at 06:57:45 AM EST
I'm not quite sure if I'll be in Paris or not, yet. But if I am, most definitely I'll join you.

A 'centrist' is someone who's neither on the left, nor on the left.
by nicta (nico@altiva․fr) on Tue May 29th, 2007 at 10:33:20 AM EST
Fran,
It looks like Ivonne and I will be able to come--the only remaining hurdle is care for Giselle and Marcelle- we will seize this day to be free of childcare for a bit, and visit with friends!
So we will come. I remember the place, but not the time--drop a line with the info, (both) could you?

As for Friday, a look at the photos does not reveal whether or not I can get into the place or into the back room. Do you know?

Capitalism searches out the darkest corners of human potential, and mainlines them.

by geezer in Paris (risico at wanadoo(flypoop)fr) on Wed May 30th, 2007 at 08:22:29 AM EST
As long as doorways are wide enough I am sure that the mighty forces of ET will be more than capable of lifting you, chair, and all, a few steps or staircases if necessary. Can't be that hard, can it?
by someone (s0me1smail(a)gmail(d)com) on Wed May 30th, 2007 at 08:26:56 AM EST
Er, --not for Godzilla, but the rest need to take a number. I will be arriving on my battery scooter. I hope--it's broke at the moment.
If all else fails, I will use my muscle chair and a cab, and then you are right-- we can deal with that.
Wat's the address of the bistro on Friday?

by geezer in Paris (risico at wanadoo(flypoop)fr) on Wed May 30th, 2007 at 12:36:30 PM EST
For the Saturday meet, it won't be the same brasserie as last year, but in the same area. Jérôme will be letting us know exactly where. But he says we'll have the terrasse, so no access problems.

For Chez Pradel Friday evening, LEP is the man who can answer about access.

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Wed May 30th, 2007 at 08:48:35 AM EST
Thats great geezer! My guess is that it is the same place, but I have just mailed Jérôme to confirm it. The official beginning is 13:00

I will send LEP a mail about Friday, he will know.

by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Wed May 30th, 2007 at 08:53:29 AM EST
Hello Geezer. This is Len (LEP) speaking. The cafe is all on one floor, I believe without steps. The only question is the width of the door into the back room which I will measure tomorrow when I'm in Paris. But even if it is too narrow I think there may be a way in through my building then into the courtyard and then into the kitchen of Chez Pradel. How much width do you need?
LEP

Hey, Grandma Moses started late!
by LEP on Wed May 30th, 2007 at 09:57:18 AM EST
My battery scooter is actually narrower than my muscle chair- a door of 65 cm in width will do it for both. And no stairs.
What's the address? Time?
Will be fun.

by geezer in Paris (risico at wanadoo(flypoop)fr) on Wed May 30th, 2007 at 12:39:58 PM EST
The address is 168 rue Ordener in the 18th. It's on the north side of the street just one block west of rue Damremont. The name of the cafe is Chez Pradel. We'll meet about 8:30. We'll have to wade through a live band that will be performing in the back of the main room until 9 o'clock.

Hey, Grandma Moses started late!
by LEP on Wed May 30th, 2007 at 03:25:05 PM EST
There is a wide door off the side street that goes directly into the back room. They will open it for you.
LEP

Hey, Grandma Moses started late!
by LEP on Thu May 31st, 2007 at 07:24:09 AM EST
I won't be making it, work and home duties have us pushing holiday time back to August.

Will be passing through then if there's anything going on.

BTW if anyone is going to this yearly kos thing (I'm not, but...) we're at the end of a fairly nice train ride from Chicago...

The Hun is always either at your throat or at your feet. Winston Churchill

by r------ on Wed May 30th, 2007 at 10:56:17 AM EST
we're at the end of a fairly nice train ride from Chicago...

And it's really nice in the summer there.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Wed May 30th, 2007 at 11:02:40 AM EST
You've been here in Minneapolis?

The Hun is always either at your throat or at your feet. Winston Churchill
by r------ on Wed May 30th, 2007 at 11:04:57 AM EST
Yes, in the winter and in the summer.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Wed May 30th, 2007 at 11:11:10 AM EST
The worst of times, and the best of times. Man, I can't stand winter here.

Still can't figure out how I convinced my wife to move here from Toulon.

The Hun is always either at your throat or at your feet. Winston Churchill

by r------ on Wed May 30th, 2007 at 11:21:29 AM EST
It was kind of fun as they had the Snoopy statues on display at the time, and I had a chance to see an old friend who had recently started working for Honeywell.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Wed May 30th, 2007 at 11:25:00 AM EST
Another selling point is that they can fly directly to Amsterdam from MSP with KLM.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Wed May 30th, 2007 at 11:11:53 AM EST
I like Icelandair actually best, one-stop to Paris, layover in Reykjavik lasts maybe 30 minutes tops (enough to stretch the legs and maybe buy some duty free quickly), reasonably priced.

And they don't fly to Chicago.

The Hun is always either at your throat or at your feet. Winston Churchill

by r------ on Wed May 30th, 2007 at 11:24:24 AM EST
Sorry you can't make it for the Meet-up.
by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Wed May 30th, 2007 at 11:04:42 AM EST
Oh well. Maybe next year.

(In particular if we are back in France by then.)

The Hun is always either at your throat or at your feet. Winston Churchill

by r------ on Wed May 30th, 2007 at 11:05:37 AM EST
I am getting back to Europe (from Japan) for the summer, but I did not decide the flight date. 16 June is a bit early for me, but I am concidering the possibility of flying "directly" to Paris for that day, and then getting to next destinations later. So, what is the schedule of the meeting? Which airport is more convenient to use? Which hotels I should look for?
by das monde on Thu May 31st, 2007 at 08:13:58 AM EST
I found a room at the Hôtel Passy-Home which is near to the meeting place. See the link above.

The meeting will start around 13.00. Jérôme will surely put out the name and adress of the place soon.

As to the airport, sorry I can't help. All I know from experience is that they have good concections to the city.

And not to forget, some of the people are already meeting Friday evening.

by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Thu May 31st, 2007 at 09:48:06 AM EST
Forgot, would be nice if you could make it. :-)
by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Thu May 31st, 2007 at 09:50:38 AM EST
Certainly I will hear about this in an email...but where are we meeting up for the 4:30 walkabout on Friday??

by whataboutbob on Thu May 31st, 2007 at 10:23:23 AM EST
Hi Bob. We're set to meet just outside the metro station at Place des Abesses, which is the heart of Montmartre just above Pigalle on north-south line 12. Take the elevator up-it's way below ground)
I think afew will send an email to all those coming-it looks like about 20 right now.

Hey, Grandma Moses started late!
by LEP on Thu May 31st, 2007 at 12:55:30 PM EST
Hi Len! Thanks! Excellent...really looking forward to the tour!

by whataboutbob on Thu May 31st, 2007 at 01:57:21 PM EST
I have only half-invented this, but I´m planning to be there somehow early Friday evening.  I hope I get to talk to everyone!!!

Now I just need a plane and a place.  Simple.

Our knowledge has surpassed our wisdom. -Charu Saxena.

by metavision on Fri Jun 1st, 2007 at 02:27:55 PM EST
And I may not leave until I learn French well!

Our knowledge has surpassed our wisdom. -Charu Saxena.
by metavision on Fri Jun 1st, 2007 at 02:28:40 PM EST
Hey!!! thats great. Looking forward to meeting you. Btw. the Hôtel Passy Home looks nice, see the link above. Let us know if you are early enough to join the Friday Evening fun.
by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Jun 1st, 2007 at 02:37:13 PM EST
Metavision. I'm very happy to hear you're coming and that we'll all get to meet you. If you can be at Place des Abesses metro station by around 4;30 you can join us for the Monmartre promenade. If you're later you can join us at chez Pradel for dinner at 8:30-9:00. Will you have a cell phone that works in France?
I just looked at ratestogo.com and the Hotel Atlanta Franchot, which is located off Pigalle has open rooms for two nights (including breakfast) for 56 euros/night.
Let me know if you want help finding a room. The hotel Jerome recommends and where Fran is booked is close to the Saturday luncheon. It sounds pretty reasonable in price.

Hey, Grandma Moses started late!
by LEP on Fri Jun 1st, 2007 at 03:34:23 PM EST
Thank you LEP!  I am really excited and don't want to miss anything, so I will try to get an early plane and meet you all for the walking tour.  My cell is Movistar/Telefonica, 34 620 312 941 and hope it does work in France?

The rates at the Atlanta are very tempting to my skimpy budget, but I'm going to try the Passy first to avoid getting lost on my own and being late.  I'll let you know, if it gets complicated.

Our knowledge has surpassed our wisdom. -Charu Saxena.

by metavision on Sat Jun 2nd, 2007 at 10:40:00 AM EST
Here's my cell phone number if you (or anyone else) are late and need to find us on the Butte Montmartre: 0606536691. I presume if your phone works in France you will be using the resources of a French phone company so you just dial as above.

Hey, Grandma Moses started late!
by LEP on Sat Jun 2nd, 2007 at 12:21:32 PM EST
Great news!
by Laurent GUERBY on Sat Jun 2nd, 2007 at 03:47:19 AM EST
great hanging out with everyone at the meet-up.  and many thanks to those who organized it.  i wish i could have stayed longer on saturday evening.

should i use the Recommended By list for this diary as the list of people who've okayed having their pictures posted?

Truth unfolds in time through a communal process.

by marco on Thu Jun 21st, 2007 at 10:19:53 AM EST