Exploratory Meet-up Diary: Chaville Edition

by r------ Wed Feb 25th, 2009 at 12:00:02 AM EST

In the SW Suburbs of Paris, wedged between the lungs of Paname, Forêt de Meudon on one side, Forêt de Fausses-Reposes on the other, my house sits, with a big ass barbeque grill which braved the -20 Minnesota winters but alas isn't a big fan of the 3 degrees and rain Paris winters. (Note from bbq...wtf? You promised me the Var. Why have you forsaken me?)

But, I am told, Paris actually becomes tolerable, climate wise, in March. So, it's time for couscous and barbeque at my place.

But, when is the best time to do this?

Thus, the poll below.

Poll
Best date for Paris BBQ Meet-up
. 21 march 28%
. 28 march 14%
. 4 april 0%
. 11 april 28%
. 18 april 28%

Votes: 7
Results | Other Polls
I must say that my reply is rather selfish: it just happens to be the one date in your list when I already know that I will be in France. It may not be the best day for an outdoor barbecue.

However, there are other dates when I could arrange to be in France so hopefully I'll be able to make it regardless.

Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed. Gandhi

by Cyrille (cyrillev domain yahoo.fr) on Wed Feb 25th, 2009 at 04:37:54 AM EST
21 March is best for me because the 19th is a public holiday and I could take a 4-day weekend.

Most economists teach a theoretical framework that has been shown to be fundamentally useless. -- James K. Galbraith
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Wed Feb 25th, 2009 at 04:39:16 AM EST
And April 4/11 are not the most convenient.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Thu Feb 26th, 2009 at 01:12:18 PM EST
Because of a General Strike planned for March 19th, getting through France on that day might prove difficult. (Says he who has booked a train ticket for that very day before knowing the date of the strike...)

Un roi sans divertissement est un homme plein de misères
by linca (antonin POINT lucas AROBASE gmail.com) on Thu Feb 26th, 2009 at 01:48:35 PM EST
LOL, as you know I already was in that situation of booking travel and being stranded because of a rail strike, in 2007...

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Thu Feb 26th, 2009 at 02:40:55 PM EST
We're not in Paris on March 21st, but in Aix En Provence. Of course if it is the only day most can make it...

Un roi sans divertissement est un homme plein de misères
by linca (antonin POINT lucas AROBASE gmail.com) on Wed Feb 25th, 2009 at 05:06:00 AM EST

Later the better if it's a barbie, and I've got used to Nice's weather - so April 18th.

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner - that I moved to Nice.
by Ted Welch (tedwelch-at-mac-dot-com) on Wed Feb 25th, 2009 at 09:10:05 AM EST
Does living in Chaville make people Chavs...?

by ChrisCook (cojockathotmaildotcom) on Wed Feb 25th, 2009 at 09:22:17 AM EST
Yeah, what a prospect - I vote we relocate to Bellville, which is clearly full of:

belles16

BELLES BELLES BELLES  Olympia

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner - that I moved to Nice.

by Ted Welch (tedwelch-at-mac-dot-com) on Wed Feb 25th, 2009 at 12:39:50 PM EST
Belleville ! :-)

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner - that I moved to Nice.
by Ted Welch (tedwelch-at-mac-dot-com) on Wed Feb 25th, 2009 at 12:40:40 PM EST
Now you're talking!

by ChrisCook (cojockathotmaildotcom) on Wed Feb 25th, 2009 at 04:37:45 PM EST
I'm busy on either the 21st or 28th of March - but I can't recall which.

But then again, if the Danish economy is where I expect it to be in a month or two, I'm not certain that my personal financial situation justifies a trip to Paris anyway, so don't let that deter you...

- Jake

Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate.

by JakeS (JangoSierra 'at' gmail 'dot' com) on Wed Feb 25th, 2009 at 01:21:49 PM EST
Now that NATO is monitoring the site, wouldn't it be better if we discussed the date (that we're not going to meet up) in private?

i suggest May 1, 2011.

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Anaïs Nin

by Crazy Horse on Wed Feb 25th, 2009 at 06:53:43 PM EST
No, it could be fun - spot the spy amongst us :-)  Given my supposed propensity to support "conventional views" (DoDo) that would seem to point to me  ... :-)

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner - that I moved to Nice.
by Ted Welch (tedwelch-at-mac-dot-com) on Thu Feb 26th, 2009 at 06:28:04 AM EST
Nonono, the provocateur is the guy who tries to talk the rest into rash, revolutionary (and illegal) actions. The bomb-thrower is more likely to be a plant than the banker.

So the spy would be

• The new guy who's always going on about the need to forcibly overthrow The System(TM), who openly sympathises with direct action and always wants to have a piece of the action.

• The disaffected long-timer who wants to distance himself from the community in order to ease his passage back into normal life.

• The guy the cops have in a tight spot over some entirely unrelated issue (drug issues, petty criminal activity, etc.) who cuts a deal.

At least that's the archetypes in the manual I read on operational security for urban guerrillas.

- Jake

Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate.

by JakeS (JangoSierra 'at' gmail 'dot' com) on Thu Feb 26th, 2009 at 04:31:33 PM EST
Oy:~! You've out'd me.

Oh well. I'll be in the states for most of that time, and can't travel after being away for so long, so can't make that last April date.

You'll have to do without the provocateur.

Never underestimate their intelligence, always underestimate their knowledge.

Frank Delaney ~ Ireland

by siegestate (siegestate or beyondwarispeace.com) on Sun Mar 1st, 2009 at 04:02:56 AM EST
I'm living almost nearby (St Quentin en Yvelines) and my commuter train goes through Chaville (Rive Droite) every day, so either Saturday is feasible for me...
by Bernard on Fri Feb 27th, 2009 at 05:21:51 PM EST
St Quentin? Cool! I've been watching what's going on with the indoor velodrome, the Mairie stopped putting out updates. Do you know anything about?

The Hun is always either at your throat or at your feet. Winston Churchill
by r------ on Sun Mar 1st, 2009 at 12:16:00 PM EST
So far seems to be a three-way split - 33% each - so let the likely better weather be deciding factor :-) - or have voting with second preference. Also update diary and perhaps get some new deciding votes. How many could NOT make 18th April - obviously the best date :-)

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner - that I moved to Nice.
by Ted Welch (tedwelch-at-mac-dot-com) on Sat Feb 28th, 2009 at 05:08:24 PM EST
to the US, I think I gathered I may need to be there again, leaving Paris the 19th, so the 18th may be dropping off the list.

The Hun is always either at your throat or at your feet. Winston Churchill
by r------ on Sun Mar 1st, 2009 at 12:22:27 PM EST
All this in Belleville of course - as the real name of Paris :-)

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner - that I moved to Nice.
by Ted Welch (tedwelch-at-mac-dot-com) on Sat Feb 28th, 2009 at 05:09:51 PM EST