ET-Meetups 2010

by Fran Sat Jan 16th, 2010 at 10:21:32 AM EST

This diary is to serve as a motherdiary, planner and a place for coordinating meetups this year. I hope this will avoid conflicts and will help people to organize their trips to the meetups more easily.

First, here is the date for the Paris Meetup.

Saturday September 11th.

More information will follow later this year.

If you are planning a meetup in your area this year, please let me know, and I will add the place and date in this diary, with links to your diary.

It's about time we had a Hanseatic meet for all of the Baltic Sea region. Helsinki, Visby, Bremen, Copenhagen, Åland??

Any takers?

Fran, do you think it might be an idea if we kept all the meet details and diaries in an own area, like 'campaign' or 'debate'? Then the info would be always available.

OTOH the accelerated posting of reminder diaries as the event draws near DOES force people to make decisions ;-)

You can't be me, I'm taken

by Sven Triloqvist on Sat Jan 16th, 2010 at 11:35:02 AM EST
Sven Triloqvist:

That's not a question to ask me - this has to be answered by the techies. :-) The other possibility might be to hotlist this diary and I will bump it up the list from time to time, to remind the people of the meetups.

by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Sat Jan 16th, 2010 at 12:59:12 PM EST
I'd happily come. when ?

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Sat Jan 16th, 2010 at 01:27:39 PM EST
I'm really open. I've been promising to get down to CH country for a while without success (and a still older invitation for Lyon exists, about which I am ashamed).

I certainly think we should wait till the weather is more clementine.

Helsinki is not the most exciting place for beer - I don't know about the other possible Hanseatic venues. Visby (Gotland) is a great location in the summer, but it's a bugger to get to.

You can't be me, I'm taken

by Sven Triloqvist on Sat Jan 16th, 2010 at 01:33:42 PM EST
Helsinki is not the most exciting place for beer

Well, I didn't want to seem too obvious by pointing that out. More worryingly it's expensive.

Certainly germany is going to have my beer-centric vote for Hanseatic countries.

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Sat Jan 16th, 2010 at 01:40:35 PM EST
However, beer is not the be all ;-)

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Sat Jan 16th, 2010 at 01:48:19 PM EST
Blasphemy !!

I simply take the veiw that we're meeting in a Hanseatic country. If it's gonna be one or another, then having good beer to hand would be good. After all Caol Ila can be found anywhere, decent quaffing beer less so.

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Sat Jan 16th, 2010 at 02:08:17 PM EST
But what about the heretics who don't drink beer? ;-)

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Sat Jan 16th, 2010 at 02:17:36 PM EST
So much for an acceptance of biodiversity. I know how vegetarian Fran feels ;-)

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Sat Jan 16th, 2010 at 02:19:34 PM EST
If we really wanted to accomodate Fran we probably shouldn't meet in Paris, or France really.

London is great for vegetarian food

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Sat Jan 16th, 2010 at 04:13:22 PM EST
But you can get Caol Ila and very good wine in most large cities, it's the decent beer that's rarer.

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Sat Jan 16th, 2010 at 04:10:59 PM EST
Looks to be about the weekend of May 7 - 9, if that works for Melanchthon. I'm still in the somewhat flexible stage, so, if either you or M have a better target, let me know.

paul spencer
by paul spencer (spencerinthegorge AT yahoo DOT com) on Sat Jan 16th, 2010 at 02:33:30 PM EST
I'll look at cheapo flights to Lyon.

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Sat Jan 16th, 2010 at 02:37:08 PM EST
any room for a little 'un ? Any excuse to go to Lyon.

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Sat Jan 16th, 2010 at 04:09:49 PM EST
The eternal conundrum: cheap flights lower the threshold of decision, but  screw one's environmental credentials.

It is not good enough to say - 'well one airplane is going to use the same amount of fuel whether it's full of cheap passengers or nabobs'.

You can't be me, I'm taken

by Sven Triloqvist on Sat Jan 16th, 2010 at 04:26:34 PM EST
You're retired, you have the time to go by train all the way.

En un viejo país ineficiente, algo así como España entre dos guerras civiles, poseer una casa y poca hacienda y memoria ninguna. -- Gil de Biedma
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Sat Jan 16th, 2010 at 04:40:55 PM EST
That is what I've been looking at. It's pricey (compared to Ryanair/Easyjet), but it is also possible to sit relaxed and do other useful things ;-)

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Sat Jan 16th, 2010 at 04:50:29 PM EST
I am interested in a Hanseatic meating, especially if it happens in July or August - so that I could add a few extra days to explore the area. Well and of course beer is not my priority. :-)
by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Sun Jan 17th, 2010 at 12:58:33 PM EST
Hanseatic meet.... Helsinki, Visby, Bremen, Copenhagen, Åland??

King's Lynn?

I bet Helen knows a decent pub...  ;)

by Sassafras on Sat Jan 16th, 2010 at 04:19:32 PM EST
Is it north of 52 degrees?

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Sat Jan 16th, 2010 at 04:28:22 PM EST
by Sassafras on Sat Jan 16th, 2010 at 04:38:17 PM EST
The Stuart House Hotel comes up as promising.

But Cambridge has more fun.

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Sat Jan 16th, 2010 at 05:04:24 PM EST
and bremen is much more interesting.

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Sat Jan 16th, 2010 at 05:05:12 PM EST
My short term future is a complete unknown just now but all being well I'd love to go to a Hanseatic meet.  Beer isn't my priority!
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Sun Jan 17th, 2010 at 10:46:26 AM EST
Technicality:  on my calendar saturday is 11 Sep.

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Anaïs Nin
by Crazy Horse on Sat Jan 16th, 2010 at 01:20:25 PM EST
Thanks, I thought I changed it. :-(
by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Sat Jan 16th, 2010 at 01:24:01 PM EST
His calendar?
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Mon Jan 18th, 2010 at 06:33:11 AM EST
Paul Spencer was planning a trip around Europe in April/May and as I noted in his diary I will travel to Barcelona in April. So it would be good to plan a meetup in Barcelona or Madrid in April.
by nanne (zwaerdenmaecker@gmail.com) on Sat Jan 16th, 2010 at 01:39:05 PM EST
Sounds excellent. then if the hanseatic is planned for say late June/early July it gives us a meetup every couple of months.

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Sat Jan 16th, 2010 at 01:41:39 PM EST
If we are talking late June then Midsummer is a Hanseatic celebration.

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Sat Jan 16th, 2010 at 01:50:08 PM EST
sounds like the beginning of a plan

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Sat Jan 16th, 2010 at 02:04:31 PM EST
as yet? My current target is mid-April, but I'm still somewhat flexible.

One other matter - my hope is to engage as much political discussion as possible, rather than simply social contact. My priority is organization and strategy (as usual for me). Thoughts?

paul spencer

by paul spencer (spencerinthegorge AT yahoo DOT com) on Sat Jan 16th, 2010 at 02:39:03 PM EST
I'm still quite flexible - I'll finalise my plans somewhere in February. Mid-April would probably work out well.

Mig noted that Easter (1-4 April) would be a good option. Certainly, there's the upside that a lot of people will be free for a longer weekend, but I guess a lot of people might also have other plans around Easter? I'm at least halfway expected to go to Holland to celebrate with family.

by nanne (zwaerdenmaecker@gmail.com) on Sat Jan 16th, 2010 at 04:32:34 PM EST
Two years in a row, weekend of the Fete de l'Huma...

The Hun is always either at your throat or at your feet. Winston Churchill
by r------ on Sun Jan 17th, 2010 at 02:59:41 AM EST
Ouch, 11 September is rather unfortunate for us, but we'll see if we can make it. Missing it two years in a row would be rather disappointing.

Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed. Gandhi
by Cyrille (cyrillev domain yahoo.fr) on Sun Jan 17th, 2010 at 05:32:28 AM EST