Paris Meetup - September 2010

by Fran Sun May 23rd, 2010 at 01:21:56 PM EST

Time passes so fast that it's time to get ready for the ET Meet-up in Paris again, which this year will take place on Saturday

September 11th.

So mark the date in your calendar.

Picture by Fran

Let us know who intents to participate and as most of us might arrive already on Friday, ideas for a programm will be welcome. LEP hope you will be joining us again this year - and as you always had good ideas, let us know if you have something in mind for this years Friday afternoon program.

Also links and information for accomodation are welcome. So far most of us stayed at the Passy-Home Hotel, which is a simple but nice Hotel. I will send an E-Mail to the Hotel to ask if they are again willing to give us a discount again.

The actual place for the meet-up on Saturday will be announced in a later diary.

Will attend:

pi
Sam and Christopher
Starvid
ThatBritGuy

Who will come?
by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Sun May 23rd, 2010 at 01:22:52 PM EST
I just realised that if I come to Paris in September, which I am not quiet sure yet, I will have to buy my ticket soon if I want a bargain.
by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Sun May 23rd, 2010 at 01:24:23 PM EST
We have the time booked, but we're not sure what the plan is: somewhere between me coming over by myself for a short weekend to a two week holiday in France, depending on the financial situation.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Sun May 23rd, 2010 at 01:52:38 PM EST
I expect to be there, barring disaster.

Probably arriving Friday or possibly Thursday.

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Sun May 23rd, 2010 at 03:36:10 PM EST
I'll be there.1

- Jake

1Subject to the usual assumptions about having discretionary spending at the time - I like where I live, so paying rent comes before travel.

Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate.

by JakeS (JangoSierra 'at' gmail 'dot' com) on Sun May 23rd, 2010 at 05:37:56 PM EST
Subject line sounds like the title of a Sylvia Saint movie.

They tried to assimilate me. They failed.
by THE Twank (yatta blah blah @ blah.com) on Sun May 23rd, 2010 at 05:41:49 PM EST
I should be able to make it. As for a program, how about trying out your game?
by gk (gk (gk quattro due due sette @gmail.com)) on Mon May 24th, 2010 at 01:23:38 PM EST
I'll be there, but probably on my own and only for the lunch as we'll have to help prepare for Elwan's "Baci" (a Laotian ceremony) on the Sunday.

There is an outside chance the Baci may be Saturday the 18th instead, in which case we should all be there on the 11th.

Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed. Gandhi

by Cyrille (cyrillev domain yahoo.fr) on Mon May 24th, 2010 at 02:57:16 AM EST
Sounds like your September is already filling up with activities, but it would be really nice if you AND Mouna can make it - not to forget Elwan!
by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Mon May 24th, 2010 at 01:50:38 PM EST
Don't think that I didn't try to sway her...

I might be able to negotiate Elwan's presence though. But hers will be very unlikely (except maybe on Friday night).

by Cyrille (cyrillev domain yahoo.fr) on Tue May 25th, 2010 at 09:52:36 AM EST
That's me!

I'd like to say yes, but finances will be an issue so I'll look into it and keep you informed.

by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Mon May 24th, 2010 at 03:20:52 AM EST
Yes, it's a picture from 2008.

Hope you can make it!

by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Mon May 24th, 2010 at 01:43:00 PM EST
£69 returns from london are still available

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Mon May 24th, 2010 at 02:51:14 PM EST
by Nomad on Mon May 24th, 2010 at 05:35:07 AM EST
Same for me - I'm a bit far away.OTOH, if Cyrille has Laos travel suggestions, or if anyone is interested in a south east asia meetup ?

Un roi sans divertissement est un homme plein de misères
by linca (antonin POINT lucas AROBASE gmail.com) on Mon May 24th, 2010 at 09:16:52 AM EST
I sure do. Drop me an email if you wish.

by Cyrille (cyrillev domain yahoo.fr) on Mon May 24th, 2010 at 12:45:53 PM EST
Yeah, yeah - excuses! :-D

But hope you have a really great trip to Africa.

by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Mon May 24th, 2010 at 01:43:48 PM EST
I'll be there if at all possible, but there is a chance that personal stuff may intervene.

I should know for sure at the beginning of August.

The fact is that what we're experiencing right now is a top-down disaster. -Paul Krugman

by dvx (dvx.clt ät gmail dotcom) on Mon May 24th, 2010 at 07:23:04 AM EST
Hope you can make it!
by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Mon May 24th, 2010 at 01:49:03 PM EST
I may be there as well.  As I wrote in my last diary, I won my Veterans Administration case which means a big back pay.  It can come any day now depending on bureaucratic time.

I haven't had a vacation for five years now, it will finally be nice to live as a human being.  And I've never been to Paris.

The question in my mind is who will accompany me to the top of the Eiffel Tower while I wear a beret with the embroidered name "Rusty"?  Jerome?

"Schiller sprach zu Goethe, Steck in dem Arsch die Flöte! Goethe sagte zu Schiller, Mein Arsch ist kein Triller!"

by Jeffersonian Democrat (rzg6f@virginia.edu) on Mon May 24th, 2010 at 08:08:11 AM EST
Best to do it first thing in the morning to avoid the crowds. Or do lots of practice on the stairs and we'll walk up, but it's an awful long way

I've never been to the top so I'm game, but I'm not queuing for 3/4 hr to do it.

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Mon May 24th, 2010 at 09:42:54 AM EST
Paris is a good place to take a vacation, and there  might be other people joining you besides Helen.
by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Mon May 24th, 2010 at 01:48:39 PM EST
I've had health problems since October, which is why you haven't seen me too much on ET. I'm going to have to have surgery at some point but I hope it's long before September. I'll know more in early June.

In the meantime I'll put on my thinking cap about a Friday event.

Hey, Grandma Moses started late!

by LEP on Mon May 24th, 2010 at 08:43:14 AM EST
Hope everything goes well for you and that you will be participating at the Meetup.
by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Mon May 24th, 2010 at 01:44:36 PM EST
I'll try to be there, if so it'll be my first ET meetup. :)

Peak oil is not an energy crisis. It is a liquid fuel crisis.
by Starvid on Mon May 24th, 2010 at 08:55:11 AM EST
Hope you make it, I am sure you will enjoy it.
by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Mon May 24th, 2010 at 01:47:00 PM EST
May well be able to make this one - I'll know more in a few weeks.
by ThatBritGuy (thatbritguy (at) googlemail.com) on Mon May 24th, 2010 at 09:04:48 AM EST
Would be nice if you could make it, it's been a while since you last participated. :-)
by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Mon May 24th, 2010 at 01:45:27 PM EST
I'll be there.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Tue May 25th, 2010 at 01:29:56 AM EST
I'm a local, sort of (40mn by train), so yes, I've marked my calendar; looking forward to see you all.
by Bernard on Tue May 25th, 2010 at 03:57:19 PM EST
I'm far from local ;-) If I knew what I was doing in 4 months time, life would be much simpler. But when everything has to be last minute, it gets expensive. I've lived this way for 40 years, probably too late to adapt...

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Tue May 25th, 2010 at 04:02:45 PM EST
Sven Triloqvist:
I've lived this way for 40 years, probably too late to adapt...

Well, then maybe it is time for some change. :-D

by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Wed May 26th, 2010 at 03:28:42 PM EST
I may have another conference in Lille the Monday after the Meetup, so I could combine business & private travel. Will know by August.

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Tue May 25th, 2010 at 04:13:59 PM EST
Hey, that would be great if you could finally make it to a Paris Meetup.
by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Wed May 26th, 2010 at 03:25:46 PM EST
Seconded!
by Bernard on Sun May 30th, 2010 at 09:05:56 AM EST
I will try. I'll be in paris this weekend 8-)

5 years to go !
by pi (etrib@opsec.eu) on Wed May 26th, 2010 at 12:53:04 PM EST
Hope that will work out! :-)
by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Wed May 26th, 2010 at 03:27:41 PM EST
Well assuming I've managed to squirrel away cash for the event, then I shall be there.

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Thu May 27th, 2010 at 09:29:23 AM EST
Ideas, Wishes, Suggestions
by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Sun May 23rd, 2010 at 01:23:27 PM EST
Hmm, I might - if my assignment in Geneva is extended beyond mid-August (which seems likely at present).

There would be a second reason to go to Paris as well; my daughter starts a 1-year college exchange this fall and will be in Paris as of early September.

by ask on Mon May 24th, 2010 at 03:32:01 AM EST
Well then, lets hope your assignment is extendet. :-)
by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Mon May 24th, 2010 at 01:46:13 PM EST
I do too, and I know it would be a great experience to meet many of the ET crowd. Always good to meet F2F.

I've been to a number of DK meet-ups in NY (including the one last January in honor of Jerome), as well as a few with BT members. In fact, we're having a small BT meet-up in NY (I'll be there for the weekend for other reasons) on June 26th - check the cafe/lounge for updates and details. About half a dozen confirmed participants, including - I believe - Booman and CabinGirl w/little Finn.

And meeting Melanchthon in Lyon coming weekend when my partner and I do the tourist thing.

by ask on Mon May 24th, 2010 at 02:07:42 PM EST
Love to meet up again, Fran, but it's looking doubtful at this stage.  Will know more next month.

Frank's Home Page and Diary Index
by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Mon May 24th, 2010 at 04:06:13 PM EST
Hope you can make it! :-)
by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Wed May 26th, 2010 at 03:22:14 PM EST

"Ce qui vient au monde pour ne rien troubler ne mérite ni égards ni patience." René Char
by Melanchthon on Tue May 25th, 2010 at 04:56:23 AM EST