OWS: We Lift Each Other Up

by gmoke Wed Nov 2nd, 2011 at 06:49:38 PM EST

This interview with Ryan Hoffman of Occupy Wall Street by David Schuster on Countdown with Keith Olbermann on how OWS are self-policing touched me deeply.  I thought it a simple and succinct explanation of what is going on.

Video:  http://current.com/shows/countdown/videos/occupy-wall-street-ryan-hoffman-on-security-detail-serving -the-undesirables

"It's irrelevant" whether the police are sending homeless people to Zuccotti Park. "Whether or not they are sending people down there, we'll take them because if they have been wounded by the system that we're in, that creates a systemic sort of foreclosure mill, kicking people out of their houses and sort of oppressing them and taking away their voices, taking away their enfranchisement to speak, well guess what, that's what our movement is about and we're not going to turn those people away. This movement is so that everybody can have a voice and we lift each other up."

I loved the fact that Hoffman refused to take the bait, to play the homeless off against the occupiers or to make the police into enemies.   I'm sure this ability to enter the blindspot of the argument and stand on the principle of inclusion is driving the media and powers that be crazy.  It is a kind of intellectual and verbal non-violence akin, somewhat, to what an aikidoist does when performing irimi, entering, becoming the shadow of the attacker as the attacker attacks.  If done right, just the movement alone can unbalance an attacker enough so that they will fall, a victim of their own violence.

I do not understand where these young people learned to become so wise.  They seem to have learned the lessons of all the previous social movements and are avoiding their mistakes.  When they start talking about Gandhian economics and swadeshi, I will know that my last dreams are coming true.

Now that Occupy Boston is planning their winterization, I've been sending them connections and activating my solar and energy networks so that they can contribute as well.  Already, I think some ideas have found fertile ground.  Greening the Occupation may lead to greener emergency and disaster response, to greener refugee camps, and to greener products and services for not just the 99% versus the 1% here but the Other 90% around the world who live on the equivalent of a dollar or two a day.  Greening the Occupation could be the beginning of swadeshi and putting Gandhian economics into practice.

Perhaps I'm fooling myself, but the linkages seem very clear to me.

Poll
Will we lift each other up?
. yes 80%
. no 0%
. not yes 0%
. not no 0%
. neither yes nor no 0%
. both yes and no 20%
. don't understand the question? 0%
. none of the above 0%

Votes: 5
Results | Other Polls
Yes, I read an interesting dKos diary recently (sorry can't find the link) where they told the story about an obviously drunk and unhappy man who was trying to disrupt one of the meetings by simply shouting a lot.

Their initial response was to try to shoo the guy away but he resisted and became louder so, by taking their principles on board, they worked to bring the guy in. By doing so they quietened him down and then, after the meeting were able to engage with him 1 on 1 to see where he was at.

I admire them even if I fear that there is so much need that they could easily be overwhelmed if the authorities arrange it.

As for your efforts, that is outstanding. Well done

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Thu Nov 3rd, 2011 at 08:31:48 AM EST
yes well done gmoke, you are a star!

it is also interesting to me why there isn't a movement equally as visible for an apollo project for green energy, or why that features so little on the posters.

really nice to know someone like you is attending to that! from where i stand that should be the primary demand, all of our troubles begin and end in our (ab)use of energy, why don't more see that? 'tis a mystery to me...

by melo (melometa4(at)gmail.com) on Thu Nov 3rd, 2011 at 09:30:40 AM EST
I have done my best to make contact with #OWS people but haven't made a direct contact yet.  I've tried my best to contribute to the efforts and think that some of my efforts have rippled out.  Ain't no hero, ain't no superman, just someone with some ideas trying to get them out.  My video series on simple solar has turned out to be part of the Appropedia solar page so maybe indirectly I am making a contribution.

Thanks for the kind words in any case.

Solar IS Civil Defense

by gmoke on Thu Nov 3rd, 2011 at 05:06:50 PM EST
OWS is using stationary bicycles to power batteries that are used to provide all the power they need (and more) since the police stole their generators.

'tis strange I should be old and neither wise nor valiant. From "The Maid's Tragedy" by Beaumont & Fletcher

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Sat Nov 5th, 2011 at 03:19:26 AM EST
As my wife commented about that generator theft (we have a Honda eu2000i which we regard with awe): the excuse was that the generators and propane bottles were dangerous, yet the following story on the news was the massive tailgate parties at sports venues, with literally hundreds of propane and charcoal grills, and dozens of generators in a parking lot full of drunks and gasoline loaded cars.

We're not quite there yet. Just like the portapotty toilets that were donated, but never cleaned.

Your existence is acknowledged. Your needs are not.

How conservative.

Align culture with our nature. Ot else!

by ormondotvos (ormond.otvosnospamgmialcon) on Sun Nov 6th, 2011 at 01:03:02 AM EST