Finalist in MIT Climate CoLab Contest: I Solve Climate Change

by gmoke Mon Nov 7th, 2011 at 07:10:25 PM EST

The Climate CoLab is part of MIT's Center for Collective Intelligence.

In both 2010 and 2011, the primary activities have been a pair of online contests, where teams of community members are invited to propose actions to key aspects of climate change.

The 2011 contest poses the question:

How should the 21st century economy evolve bearing in mind the risks of climate change?

In the initial stages of a contest, teams develop proposals on what should be done. Expert judges assess and select finalists among these proposals.

In the final round, Climate CoLab members are invited to vote. Winners are chosen based on voting and on a second review by the judges. A group of policy makers are briefed on the winning proposals.

On the national level, my proposal made the final cut:
How to Change US Energy in One Growing Season

You can vote for it or other proposals in the contest until November 15 at the URL above.  Please take a look.

To be entirely honest, I have no expectation of winning this contest but I do have fantasies of showing up to present my proposal to the vaunted panel of policy-makers in full DFH regalia (you should see my patched jeans and Solar IS Civil Defense t-shirt) and burning their asses for spending all their time trying to convince people that climate change is real rather than working on practical solutions that will be accepted by anyone, troglodyte or Nobel prizewinner.

I'm looking at you Al Gore.  Hours on the scare stories of climate change and minutes or less on real solutions.  Meh.

Poll
More climate collaboration?
. yes 100%
. no 0%
. not yes 0%
. not no 0%
. neither yes nor no 0%
. both yes and no 0%
. don't understand the question? 0%
. none of the above 0%

Votes: 5
Results | Other Polls
Can't read it cos my system blocks Javascript.

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Tue Nov 8th, 2011 at 03:26:12 AM EST
My entry is a version of a diary I wrote a year or so ago.  Maybe you can read it here:

Solar IS Civil Defense
by gmoke on Tue Nov 8th, 2011 at 07:06:17 PM EST
Didn't think I'd win in the first place.

However, talked today with a friend who is interested in doing the ongoing, online global brainstorm on local and regional approaches to stopping and mitigating climate change.  So things proceed apace.

Solar IS Civil Defense

by gmoke on Wed Nov 16th, 2011 at 08:56:18 PM EST
I voted for you.

by ATinNM on Sat Nov 19th, 2011 at 12:49:27 PM EST

Props to you for taking an idea and giving it hands and feet - only so few actually do so. I particularly like your plans for the farmers market and your idea for an on-line strategy for good energy solutions. I toyed with similar ideas 5 years ago- but got overwhelmed by the shear load of information that's already out there.

Agreed. I'm afraid that in the end economic stimuli will overrule any climate scare story that is brought up, whether it is real or not.
by Nomad on Thu Nov 17th, 2011 at 05:37:27 PM EST
Talked with a friend the other night who wants to do a best practices website on local and regional climate change solutions and mitigation.  You interested in contributing some of your 5 year old thinking?

Solar IS Civil Defense
by gmoke on Fri Nov 18th, 2011 at 11:00:18 PM EST
Maybe the continuing Adult Education seminars that so many communities and colleges have would be a way to spread this information, too. They already have courses in First Aid and CPR, for example, on an occasional basis, so there could also be courses in Preparing for Emergencies.

Seems like someone could think about putting together and selling packages or "kits" with instructions for fitting one's bicycle for usage (the way you did with OWS) in emergencies. These could be sold through Sporting Goods stores, hardware stores, and wherever bicycles are sold.

Sorry if any of this is sounding brainless; not my field, but your diary got me musing.

'tis strange I should be old and neither wise nor valiant. From "The Maid's Tragedy" by Beaumont & Fletcher

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Tue Nov 22nd, 2011 at 05:40:55 AM EST
I didn't do any of the work mentioned in my article, except for writing it.  I have played a very, very little with bike generators though I haven't done anything real with them yet.

The old wheel rub generators for lights can be modified to charge batteries and some are built to charge cell phones (I just got one that does that from a Global Cycle Solutions which does bike technology in Tanzania).  There are also generator hubs and magnets you can attach to your spokes to pass by a coil attached to the hub which generate enough electricity for LED lights to flash.  All of these are simple solutions.

Adult ed is one avenue for preparedness information.  I hadn't thought of that so your musing adds another idea to the range of possibilities.  Thanks.

Solar IS Civil Defense

by gmoke on Tue Nov 22nd, 2011 at 03:52:51 PM EST
An exercycle that is set up to derive the maximum power from pedaling for battery charging is a feasible means of generating sufficient power to perform multiple tasks when connected to a storage battery and an inverter. An hour's worth of pedaling at 200 wats would generate 200 watt-hours, which would run a refrigerator for several hours and operate a microwave numerous times for a minute or two at a time. Units that adapt ordinary bicycles for such power generation are commercially available.

"It is not necessary to have hope in order to persevere."
by ARGeezer (ARGeezer a in a circle eurotrib daught com) on Tue Nov 22nd, 2011 at 11:34:34 PM EST
Thanks, ARGeezer. I'm going to post that link on FB for my many friends who are complaining of outages and for those who can't afford high-priced generators. I should have looked before I posted, of course, because almost every time I think "somebody needs to invent/market this," Somebody already has.  (like weaving pet hair)

All the hiking we do here in Berchtesgadener Land made me "invent" a little contraption that would allow a woman to pee standing up.  By the time we finished our walk, I had it all worked out in my head. I thought of names: Lady P, Stand-up Gal, Wee Too. Then it occurred to me that I wasn't the only woman in the world who regularly hiked, and that someone probably already made and sold such an item. An internet search later and: Go Girl and She Wee.

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Thu Nov 24th, 2011 at 01:27:16 AM EST