Life in a day

by Sven Triloqvist Thu Dec 1st, 2011 at 04:11:59 AM EST

Life in a Day is a crowdsourced documentary film with footage from 192 nations - all shot on July 24th 2010.

Anything that begins with elephants bathing in the moonlight must be good.

Thanks for this, Sven; can't wait to watch it in full with my husband tonight, while sharing some wine.

'tis strange I should be old and neither wise nor valiant. From "The Maid's Tragedy" by Beaumont & Fletcher

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Fri Dec 2nd, 2011 at 08:26:51 AM EST
I do hope you enjoy it. I found it very moving and enormously optimistic.

There was a book in the late 50s based on a 1955 photo exhibition curated by Edward  Steichen -  from a couple million photos from around the world. Equally inspiring, and perhaps one of the reasons I became fascinated by documentaries.

You can't be me, I'm taken

by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Dec 2nd, 2011 at 10:43:37 AM EST
Documentaries are the best, and the internet world has finally made them easier to access. I used to hate seeing awards shows in the Documentary category knowing that I wouldn't get to see many of them.

It would be great to get a list of recommended documentaries from ET'ers .. maybe a sort if diary someday. I'd be set for quite awhile.

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Fri Dec 2nd, 2011 at 11:04:45 AM EST
I'm a documentary fan as well but they don't play anywhere 'round here so any recommendation I could make you've probably seen.

by ATinNM on Fri Dec 2nd, 2011 at 10:39:20 PM EST
I'm sure I would enjoy it if those darn cows out in the field would stop hogging my bandwidth. ;-(
by sgr2 on Mon Dec 5th, 2011 at 08:58:59 AM EST
Cool. A kind of modern day update to Baraka.

you are the media you consume.

by MillMan (millguy at gmail) on Fri Dec 2nd, 2011 at 01:05:04 PM EST
I've watched about ten minutes so far and plan to view it all. This (IMHO) is a class act. Enjoyable and, given the purposefully scant amount of dialog, rich with the spirit of humanity and our world. In this instance a picture is indeed worth (at least) a thousand words.

I can swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell. _ Blood Sweat & Tears
by Gringo (stargazing camel at aoldotcom) on Sat Dec 3rd, 2011 at 11:46:01 AM EST
Hi Gringo - long time!

I was turned on to this by my daughter, and she in turn from her friends in France - and it seems it resonates with the younger generation, who perhaps understand the global/local connection better because they've grown up with it. And also because it is not a glossy evocation of life and culture, but a rich montage of moments and behaviours that you connect in your mind, rather than being connected for you.

You can't be me, I'm taken

by Sven Triloqvist on Sat Dec 3rd, 2011 at 12:55:05 PM EST
Hi Sven, I'm always here, reading/lurking.  Not much to say these days.

by Gringo (stargazing camel at aoldotcom) on Sun Dec 4th, 2011 at 10:39:12 PM EST