Xmas lights and a late drink

by Ted Welch Thu Dec 8th, 2011 at 02:25:11 PM EST

a-xmas-massena-6465

Place Massena, Nice. André Massena was not exactly a man of peace and goodwill:

Masséna remained one of Bonaparte's most important subordinates throughout the extraordinary 1796-7 campaign in Italy. He played a significant part in engagements at Montenotte and Dego in the spring. He took a leading role at the battles of Lonato,Castiglione, Bassano, Caldiero and Arcola in the summer and fall, and the Battle of Rivoli and the fall of Mantua that winter.

a-xmas-massena-6438

a-xmas-massena-6436

a-xmas-statue-6442

"All this kitsch stuff is only temporary - I'll just sit it out."

a-cathedral-xmas-light-6428

I like these decorations which have a non-religious, almost astronomical look - above left the moon and Jupiter.

a-moon-jupiter-6433

The moon and Jupiter.

a-virgin-xmas-6431

No, not that biblical "virgin".

a-xmas-girl-6418

garibaldi-xmas-2011-6494

Place Garibaldi - he helped unify Italy so that nuts like Mussolini and Berlusconi could take over - and then Goldman Sachs.

garibaldi-xmas-2011-6499

garibaldi-xmas-2011-6498

a-nice-old-town-night-6502

"Down this mean streets a man must go" - who needs a late drink in Nice in December

a-nice-old-town-dec-2011-6503

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Thu Dec 8th, 2011 at 03:26:45 PM EST
Please, we are adults. Ectoplasm doesn't fool us.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Thu Dec 8th, 2011 at 03:31:49 PM EST
We were just trying to get into the spirit...

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Thu Dec 8th, 2011 at 04:24:24 PM EST
This has to be a trap. A gin... trap.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Thu Dec 8th, 2011 at 04:40:22 PM EST
Wow. Great photos. What a lights!
And Europe (France) can still afford it?
Crisis? What crisis?
I expect fireworks to be bigger then ever this year around western world! The bigger the mess the bigger celebrations, ha-ha.

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind...Albert Einstein
by vbo on Thu Dec 8th, 2011 at 07:47:15 PM EST

In fact they're using LEDs and the lights are brighter but use about a quarter or less of the power than previous years. Glad you like the pics.

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner - that I moved to Nice.
by Ted Welch (tedwelch-at-mac-dot-com) on Fri Dec 9th, 2011 at 05:24:50 AM EST

Not incandescent LEPs :-)

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner - that I moved to Nice.
by Ted Welch (tedwelch-at-mac-dot-com) on Fri Dec 9th, 2011 at 05:30:59 AM EST
Excellent pictures, Ted! Lucky us that you decided to go out for a drink.
by sgr2 on Fri Dec 9th, 2011 at 07:42:20 AM EST
I decided that ETers needed some Xmas lights to brighten things up a bit and it was my duty to go out and brave the - er - mild night (actually a couple of nights) and the drink was a mere afterthought :-)

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner - that I moved to Nice.
by Ted Welch (tedwelch-at-mac-dot-com) on Sat Dec 10th, 2011 at 08:44:00 AM EST
 Thanks.

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner - that I moved to Nice.
by Ted Welch (tedwelch-at-mac-dot-com) on Sat Dec 10th, 2011 at 08:44:37 AM EST
So here are some years-ago photos of Holiday lights (the Walk of Lights) in Austin, Texas.

'tis strange I should be old and neither wise nor valiant. From "The Maid's Tragedy" by Beaumont & Fletcher

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Sat Dec 10th, 2011 at 12:19:45 PM EST
Wow...Texas is not bad too. Well here there is not much...just that big tree and that's about it. They'll have fireworks but I am too lazy to go (impossible to find parking and I have seen it many times before). I suppose Sydney is different story and they have really great fireworks...Here is my house tree...
Nothing much...it's a crisis, haha.

by vbo on Tue Dec 13th, 2011 at 08:23:19 AM EST