Fiddling or Blogging?

by Sven Triloqvist Sat Sep 10th, 2011 at 03:33:13 PM EST

An entirely unworthy diary, from which nothing good will come, based upon an almost invisible spark of interest here.

The question is: what is the worth of being "bright-eyed and bushy-tailed" when the conflagration in which we find ourselves would seem to indicate, to some, that a Neroesque reaction is acceptable.

Crazy Horse, renowned wind mystic, believes that the disgusting activity of dancing is the most sensible response to the collapse of civilization. While I am tempted to concur, I have to disagree.

Mr Ceebs, as ever, is curious but sceptical.

Where do you stand on the issue?

Im a general terms whats the use of Bright eyed questioner.

Sunrise being a  thing far too many people have told me is a wonderful thing to start the day with. Personally I have only ever seen it as a sensible curtain drawn over a nights excesses

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.

by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Sat Sep 10th, 2011 at 03:41:53 PM EST
This is exactly why I'd vote Tory ;-)

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Sat Sep 10th, 2011 at 03:46:35 PM EST
I shall apply kinetic energy to the spherical thing by saying that I find dancing and blogging quite close to each other on the endorphin scale.

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Sat Sep 10th, 2011 at 03:43:57 PM EST
apply kinetic energy to the spherical thing

IOW, kick the ball (or can) down the road. Thereby uniting our current activities with the world afire.

"It is not necessary to have hope in order to persevere."

by ARGeezer (ARGeezer a in a circle eurotrib daught com) on Sat Sep 10th, 2011 at 03:57:07 PM EST
Cans are cylindrical.

And blogging IS tending the garden. I feel assured that the Serious People are reading my comments, for they are all coming around to my prescient guesses from long ago.

Align culture with our nature. Ot else!

by ormondotvos (ormond.otvosnospamgmialcon) on Wed Sep 14th, 2011 at 09:36:33 PM EST
while we're kicking it around, why blog?

to blog or not to blog, there is no answer.

for me it's a way of denying denial by letting myself be magnetised by the fusion of social awareness and silly, but dry wit.

if tomorrow a tsunami covers the himalayas heading our way, with hours to live, would blogging be enough to restore my phlegm and invigorate my vim?

as if the tsunami weren't enough to be concerned about, i got bankers behaving badly too.

so....dance, blog, scratch yer (insert appropriate member), or stare at the ceiling and try for a parallel universe, it don't matter a hill of beans, cuz as DL reminds us daily, when we're lucky enough to have him visit, (all together now)

in the long run.... we're all fred!

have fun CH, and thanks sven for coming back to ETerritory and reminding us how silly and smart blend like chish and fips.

by melo (melometa4(at)gmail.com) on Sat Sep 10th, 2011 at 06:10:45 PM EST
Bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, I'd say, you can dance, you can fiddle, you can play leapfrog with the stars, you can even blog. Why not?

Might be the only way to stop the meltdown. I doubt it. Let's buy an asteroid somewhere.

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Sat Sep 10th, 2011 at 03:50:12 PM EST
Likely as not i'd give a lick to blogging out a coherent response, pregnant with portent...

but i'm gone dancin'. (if i get through whatever is causing the past 40 minutes of police sirens from every direction.)

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Ana´s Nin

by Crazy Horse on Sat Sep 10th, 2011 at 04:08:55 PM EST
I prefer not to waste my time on questions of Existentialism.  I deem a greater value can be found lurking in:

Question: How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?

Answer: Two.  One to hold the giraffe and one to fill the bathtub with brightly covered machine tools.

Which, by nice and easy steps, leads us to the ultimate Riddle of the Universe:

Question: If one rabbit can run one mile in one minute and two rabbits can run two miles in two minutes how many people can you fit in a telephone booth?

Answer: YES!  Ice cream has no teeth.

To answer the immediately obvious objection, "But ATinNM!  What exactly does this have say to Marcel Duchamp's 1972 production of Samuel Beckett's masterpiece Waiting for Godot?

To which I answer, "A lot, dear peeps.  A lot."

by ATinNM on Sat Sep 10th, 2011 at 05:06:34 PM EST
how many people can you fit in a telephone booth?

34, if its a traditional red one, but you need a drill a hacksaw, a welding kit and a liquidiser

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.

by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Sat Sep 10th, 2011 at 05:57:03 PM EST
What does the "collapse of civilization" mean to the person on the street? No more beer? Football suspended?

I suggest that the only ones who will notice are the academics who will complain about how they aren't treated like they deserve given their smartness, and the people at the bottom starving in their shanty-towns and dying in the ditches. In other words, nobody of significance will care.

by asdf on Sat Sep 10th, 2011 at 11:29:06 PM EST
A higher than usual chance of ending up starving or dying in a ditch?

Economics is politics by other means
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Sun Sep 11th, 2011 at 02:52:11 AM EST
You can dance as much as you want up to the point where your usual life is beyond recognition. Than depression kicks. As a result of crises this big and global there will be hardly anyone whose life hasn't changed as we are progressing farther to this meltdown. But in the meantime really what can anyone do? Try to prepare yourself to the best of your ability, individually, to survive and that's all.
I always was open to panic and when we were approaching our first crises in 1993 in Serbia I couldn't understand how people around me didn't see what's coming as clear as I did (or they liked to live in denial).I would bother people a lot trying to open their eyes (there was no Internet at the time so there was no way to express my feelings other way but trough direct talk).But it's useless...people like to dance until shit hits fan...individually. Interestingly people tend to believe that by some strike of luck they will be ones exempt from bad destiny of others...so they usually do not prepare very well. And when I say prepare I mean financially but also psychologically. In crises like this people experience thingies that they never dreamt they will. Humiliation and anger being hardest for me.
But we can't stop living...life must go on...

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind...Albert Einstein
by vbo on Sun Sep 11th, 2011 at 07:59:17 AM EST
I hadn't stated that dancing should take the place of social/political activism. Nor that dancing was a way to shut out reality (except perhaps for dear moments).

and doctors say, "movement is always good."

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Ana´s Nin

by Crazy Horse on Sun Sep 11th, 2011 at 10:12:16 AM EST
Smoke em if you got em.

you are the media you consume.

by MillMan (millguy at gmail) on Sun Sep 11th, 2011 at 02:26:04 AM EST
Dancing's as likely to work as anything.

I've been accused of being a Marxist, yet while Harpo's my favourite, it's Groucho I'm always quoting. Odd, that.

by BruceMcF (agila61 at netscape dot net) on Sun Sep 11th, 2011 at 06:34:32 AM EST
I just heard of some distant Finnish colleagues creating a new rum brand called 'Ron de Jeremy Rum'. Distilled, I believe, here in fair Suomi.

He was born Ronald Jeremy Hyatt on March 12, 1953, in New York City and graduated from Cardozo High School (Queens, NY) in 1971, attained a masters degree from Queens College and then commenced special educational teaching in the New York City area. In 1978, a girlfriend sent his photo off to "Playgirl" magazine for appearance in its "Boy Next Door" pages. Ron was deluged with female fan mail, and letters of interest from adult filmmakers! He first appeared on screen in a hardcore production in Coed Teasers (1983).

Now, the relatively complex joke with the brand name, and the sign-off "Please enjoy responsibly and never do anything Ron wouldn't",  and the other semiotic content still awaiting meaning, is intended ironique.  But it will also work without the irony in all areas infested with rednecks. And rednecks are fellow humans, if you will.

Whether this type of creativity is warranted, in the face of the oncoming collapse of civilization, is moot. However, the amount of creative input exhausted in creating a 360 brand, is little different from putting on a play or rehearsing and conducting a symphony. If you don't buy the product, then brands become theatre. All part of culture - which is one of the few non-basic things without which there is no society.

Then there's dancing - with rum...

You can't be me, I'm taken

by Sven Triloqvist on Sun Sep 11th, 2011 at 10:20:21 AM EST
My vote goes to dancing. Definitely dancing. Dancing can cure most woes.
by sgr2 on Wed Sep 21st, 2011 at 03:03:41 PM EST