My PLAN

by Frank Schnittger Thu Oct 4th, 2012 at 05:14:27 PM EST

I have a plan. It has five points that are no more than aspirational bullet points and a few numbers that I never bother to add up or connect to one another. It says more or less what I say it says when it suits me to say something I want to say. One day it provides tax breaks for the wealthy, and the next day it does no such thing. One day it covers pre-existing conditions, and another day it doesn't. Sometime my plan includes €716 Billion in cuts to Medicare costs, and sometimes it doesn't. But mostly I just criticize the President for including it in his plan anyway.

But the real beauty of my plan is that it confused the hell out of the President in our debate. He didn't seem to realize how flexible my plan is. And anyway, since it is MY plan, who are the viewers going to believe knows more about it? ME or the President?

In a way it is a Creationist plan. It is going to create wealth because I say it is. And the more wealth it creates the bigger the chance that the numbers will turn out all right anyway. Never mind that it's all been tried before - particularly by President W Bush. (His father decried it as voodoo economics when Reagan tried the same thing). Never mind that it led to a great crash. Our people did alright by that, and capitalism is all about creative destruction.

But the main thing is my plan includes all the right buzzwords and sound-bites about FREEDOM, ENTERPRISE INNOVATION, EDUCATION, and MARKETS and it criticizes TAXES, GOVERNMENT, RED TAPE, ENTITLEMENTS, DEFICITS, DEPENDENCY, BUREAUCRATS and SOCIALISM. That's all that people really need to know. I am on the side of the angels, and that Obama guy is to blame for all our problems.

It's a beautiful plan really, and if it gets me elected, it will have fulfilled its primary purpose, and I can throw it into the kids homework and see if they can figure it out. It's so vague anyway, no one will be able to prove I didn't keep my word. And that Obama guy? He can go back to college where he belongs. If you can't make your own facts, you have no right to be President.

that's about the shape of it...

mitt has the will to skip the pesky persnickety details, he sells it you with the blithe strength of his inner conviction of deservability, like a used caddy salesman playing on the mark's vanity.

'you'd feel proud of yourself in a walter mittens world, you'd hold your head high and you'd know it was 1950 all over again, when our damsels were pure in their place, america's lustre was untarnished, and we deserved God's grace, just like i deserve this presidency, and i will bully you into voting for me with my frosty bonhomie, and hail-peasant-well-met charm. my shiny halo will attract investments from all over the world, by merely being the representative from planet moroni, where magic ponies frolic with their mare harems.  psst, see my skin colour?

also.'

"We can all be prosperous but we can't all be rich." Ian Welsh

by melo (melometa4(at)gmail.com) on Thu Oct 4th, 2012 at 06:31:41 PM EST
by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Fri Oct 5th, 2012 at 04:33:42 AM EST
So there has been a debate, huh?

Anyone doing better then the other?

A vote for PES is a vote for EPP! A vote for EPP is a vote for PES! Support the coalition, vote EPP-PES in 2009!

by A swedish kind of death on Fri Oct 5th, 2012 at 04:57:01 AM EST
The dominant media narrative (and snap polls) indicate that Romney won scoring points which (to them, a strangely passive) Obama left unanswered. However the only full poll out since indicates that Romney won mainly by firing up Republicans whilst Obama did better with independents and swing voters. I would expect at least a short term uptick for Romney in the polls, but the fact checkers are already taking their toll on the large number of inaccuracies in his points - most of which are refuted on tape by Romney saying the exact opposite at other times. Hence my diary.

Index of Frank's Diaries
by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Fri Oct 5th, 2012 at 05:30:41 AM EST
I have a plan too:

1. Steal stuff semi-legally
  2. Become very rich - better yet, be born very rich then steal stuff to become richer
  3. Look presidential, with the hair and the bullying and everything
  4. ????
  5. $$$PROFIT$$$
by ThatBritGuy (thatbritguy (at) googlemail.com) on Fri Oct 5th, 2012 at 06:48:52 AM EST
At least your plan also has the mandatory five points. Any more than that, and you are a wonk who can't relate to ordinary people - who apparently can recall at most 3 points. Any less than that, and you are open to charges by the MSM that your proposals aren't detailed enough. Paul Ryan got a free pass as a very serious policy wonk from the very serious people simply because his "Budget" ran to more than a few pages. Krugman got into a lot of trouble with the VSP for saying it was all a load of b$*lsh1t.

So well done! You got yourself a plan which meets the minimum standards of seriousness set by the VSP!

Index of Frank's Diaries

by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Fri Oct 5th, 2012 at 10:04:46 AM EST
Thanks for the summary so I don't have to watch. :)

by A swedish kind of death on Fri Oct 5th, 2012 at 02:54:42 PM EST
First polls, coming out about now, indicate that Romney gained only with Repubs. Funny, that.

Independents, perhaps with childhood or women's memories of overbearing, pompous, verbally abusive husbands, fathers, boyfriends, bosses, seem to be moving over toward Obama's side of the aisle.

by Mnemosyne on Fri Oct 5th, 2012 at 05:46:51 PM EST
just watched the first half, 2 days late.

romney was classic alpha whitebre(a)d male dominant, a righteous warrior in battle mode, lehrer was deferential and sheepish, allowing romney to steamroll him repeatedly.

obama was also meek, almost apologetically polite, a bit fumbling, uncompetitive, and obeyed the debate rules, making him look pedantic and unexcited, although what he said mostly made sense.

romney looked like he just came from an NLP session, confident, even frisky compared to obama, who looked jet-lagged, unused to denver oxygen levels, as if he hadn't slept and possibly had some private bad news just prior to the debate, distracted, not fully present.

he held his own without cowering, but while unpompously reasonable in tone, he seemed somehow a bit muffled and possibly hobbled by his own etiquette, while the mittster steamed along in full triumphal used-ideology salesman mode, and i swear he bobbed his head in a purposely reaganesque way several times, i had to pinch myself how he looked like a younger ronnie for a few moments, the same bullshit fake 'i'm your BFF' though he's still missing the avuncular twinkle and senile john waynisms -so far.

i expected after the blizzard of post-debate commentary to see obama totally crushed (gotta love the media for predictable hysteria), but it seemed an even game to me, though mutt did surprise me with the extent of his ability to 'command' the situation, with full collusion from the moderator.

in terms of pushing confidence buttons, mitt did win, but there was no substance or novelty, just reheated trickle-or-treat economics, st. ronnie redux.

obama was probably coming down with a light flu, he had that semi-dazed look, but mitt didn't really win the debate, he just gave more of himself, was more on (phoney) point, more focussed.

pretty pathetic all around considering the global issues at stake now, to see two grown men vying for Biggest Planetary Enchilada spending so much time talking about relative inanities like definitions of 'small business' and spouting projections based on voodoo money management... SOS.

not highly recc'd as a way to discover much reality, methinks, it's hard work thinking about watching the second half.

"We can all be prosperous but we can't all be rich." Ian Welsh

by melo (melometa4(at)gmail.com) on Fri Oct 5th, 2012 at 04:48:57 PM EST
I watched the debate live on-line at 3.00am local time so I wasn't at my most perceptive - and the web connection wasn't the best, but got the impression Obama was genuinely flummoxed by Romney saying things which flatly contradicted things he had said earlier.

The Obama game plan - I think - was not to get directly caught up in contradicting Romney - there is enough of Romney on tape saying the exact opposite for Romney to brand himself a liar or at least a serial flip-flopper. However it meant - in the context of the debate - that Obama missed a lot of opportunities to call Mitt on his lies - and doing so afterwards in an ad campaign doesn't quite cut it.

However Obama has never been a great debater, and is, I think, obsessed with not seeming an uppity black man being disrespectful to the latest great white hope. He is way ahead on women voters, and they, apparently, don't like confrontation. But his biggest problem is that he has accepted the conservative framing - Government expenditure bad, private expenditure good.

You can't win an argument for social democracy from within that framing.

Index of Frank's Diaries

by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Fri Oct 5th, 2012 at 05:22:39 PM EST
obama comes off as authentic and passionate when vying for alpha, once there, it's a bit like he forgot why he bothered!

"We can all be prosperous but we can't all be rich." Ian Welsh
by melo (melometa4(at)gmail.com) on Fri Oct 5th, 2012 at 05:52:29 PM EST
Romney -- who is a truly nasty, creepy man I will be most pleased to see the last of -- was doing the Rove technique of throwing everything at the wall to see what would stick. And I think you're right, that Obama was a bit gobsmacked at the overwhelming level of mendacity. To me, his expression looked like, "WTF is this idiot doing?"

There may also have been some strategy at play, as well. Romney has now put it all out on the table, nothing presumably held back, and the fact-checkers are having a field day. He is not looking so good, even in the Beltway media.

I would wager Willard's $10,000 that he has not read Sun-Tzu and that Obama has.

by Mnemosyne on Fri Oct 5th, 2012 at 05:52:26 PM EST
if he's headfaking romney and allowing him to spend his ammunition early, then good for him, i hope it works.

people do root for an underdog, perhaps the GOTV will be stronger seeing him pull his finger out in the next debate, though for which side i dunno... maybe both.

"We can all be prosperous but we can't all be rich." Ian Welsh

by melo (melometa4(at)gmail.com) on Fri Oct 5th, 2012 at 05:57:27 PM EST
After being disgusted at O's lack of response to the brazen mendacity of R, (after all O is a lot more subtle in his approach, encouraging people to think he will do things he has no intention of doing), I thought of Muhammad Ali's old rope-a-dope routine, absorbing punches that he couldn't dance away from and tiring out his opponent. Or he just might not have been prepared for the brazenness of R and wanted to avoid any gaffe that resulted from a response that had not been thought through.

My real fury was reserved for Obama's not having bothered to take on, deconstruct and destroy the credibility of all of the memes that Romney relies on. I suspect he fears that his financial sector contributors don't want those memes destroyed.

As the Dutch said while fighting the Spanish: "It is not necessary to have hope in order to persevere."

by ARGeezer (ARGeezer a in a circle eurotrib daught com) on Sat Oct 6th, 2012 at 01:25:14 AM EST
I can barely stand the election bullshit and I live here so it must be somewhat surreal for you foreigners who decide to pay attention to the coronation of our Emperor because you know that he might decide to steal your resources (and kill you and rape your women while he's at it) by invading you under bullshit circumstances. Thank GOD I live inside the Empire and not without ... they don't use drone strikes on us ... yet.

The good news ... it's only a life sentence. You eventually leave this planet of idiots.
by THE Twank (yatta blah blah @ blah.com) on Fri Oct 5th, 2012 at 07:01:57 PM EST
The bullshit must be way harder to stand when it is everywhere.

Though personally I can't stomach it since about 2006 when the Democrats had their dramatic senate sleepover.

Von überall könnte das Volk, Urbrut alles Undemokratischen, Zelle des Terrors, über die gewählten Hüter von Wachstum und Wohlstand® kommen. - flatter

by generic on Sat Oct 6th, 2012 at 08:36:57 AM EST
I tune most of it out by not "consuming," as it is called, the US Infotainment media.

Skepticism is the first step on the road to truth. -- Denis Diderot
by ATinNM on Sat Oct 6th, 2012 at 12:14:26 PM EST
You think you have it hard? Try living in a "swing" state. You can't take a walk without being accosted by somebody wanting to register you to vote (or not, depending on how they evaluate your potential viewpoint). The phone rings hourly with push polls. The newspapers are unreadable. The mailbox is full of paper--in fact, I could probably heat my house for a week just by burning election flyers.

Interestingly, the number of yard signs seems lower than usual.

However, the "plan" mentioned above is completely off course, because it is based on an assumption that policies and economics and positions--logical or illogical--have anything to do with the election. All you need to know is that Romney is white and anti-gay, and Obama is black and pro-gay. That is all you need to know to make your choice in this election.

by asdf on Tue Oct 9th, 2012 at 11:03:49 AM EST
Can you imagine the Martin Luther King speech, "I have a Plan"?

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Anaïs Nin
by Crazy Horse on Mon Oct 8th, 2012 at 03:12:41 PM EST
And was it sufficiently vague so that it could be interpreted differently by everybody - including King?
And did his dream change depending on who he was talking to?
This dream thing is way over-rated. Just look at the American Dream. Romney now owns the trademark...

Index of Frank's Diaries
by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Mon Oct 8th, 2012 at 04:11:22 PM EST