Friday Open Thread

by dvx Fri Nov 30th, 2012 at 11:23:36 AM EST

< deep_sonorous_voice>

The weekend starts...

NOW.

< /deep_sonorous_voice>

Now in new StetchHD!

The fact is that what we're experiencing right now is a top-down disaster. -Paul Krugman

by dvx (dvx.clt št gmail dotcom) on Fri Nov 30th, 2012 at 11:26:32 AM EST
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri Nov 30th, 2012 at 11:29:21 AM EST
Well, I've just been summarily dismissed.

Weekend can only get better ;-)

Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed. Gandhi

by Cyrille (cyrillev domain yahoo.fr) on Fri Nov 30th, 2012 at 12:01:56 PM EST
Woah! Woe! Waugh! Sympathy and virile man-hugs.

Anything you can/want to talk about?

It is rightly acknowledged that people of faith have no monopoly of virtue - Queen Elizabeth II

by eurogreen on Fri Nov 30th, 2012 at 12:11:27 PM EST
Well, I expected the dismissal. Though I'm sure I'll win in court, they had pretty much made it clear that they'd to that (it's a crazy story).

But faking my number of accrued holidays in order to claim that I owed them 9 days whereas they really owed me 2 months, no, I hadn't seen that coming.

Anyway. It seems that I have an offer for my Paris flat (yes, on the same day), so that should cover the immediate needs, and then I can wait for the court decision, which I do not doubt will be in my favour.

by Cyrille (cyrillev domain yahoo.fr) on Fri Nov 30th, 2012 at 12:24:07 PM EST
There's something better in store for you, for which you've now been made available. I've met you and I know it. So now you must do all you can to enjoy December!

It's amazing to me how many idiots there are "out there" who have, in varying amounts, some control over the lives of others. It's scary, even.

Give 'em hell.

'tis strange I should be old and neither wise nor valiant. From "The Maid's Tragedy" by Beaumont & Fletcher

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Fri Nov 30th, 2012 at 01:50:56 PM EST
Oh, I don't doubt that better things are in store, in fact I have been planning for a while.
But for the moment I'd like not to make a silly mistake that will let them off the hook. There are a few difficult legal decisions to make, once they will have been made it will be alea jacta est and get on with it.

But if it's played right I might be able to give them a hard time -as in over a year of salary. On top of the 3 months leave and the 2 months holidays I had (in part because for a whole year I asked them to tell me how much I'd acrued, and of course was careful until I got an answer, so by the time they replied I had a couple of months...). I'd like that.

by Cyrille (cyrillev domain yahoo.fr) on Sat Dec 1st, 2012 at 03:59:45 AM EST
Fear of this sort of thing drives people in the U.S. labor market to take the "fixed annual number of sick leaves days" and "fixed annual number of vacation days" very cynically. Basically, if you get to November without a very clear statement to your boss of how you're going to use them all up by 31 December, you're exposed to forced leave and lost sick days. Retroactive rollover rules and annual limits on how much you can save up are all part of the game. Saving up two months of vacation days would be an extreme outlier in most cases, even for people with high seniority...
by asdf on Fri Nov 30th, 2012 at 02:02:41 PM EST
Better things are in store for you.

You have left the assholes behind and the road ahead is welcoming and leading you to new adventures where people will appreciate your unique and precious skills.

Mazeltov!

by stevesim on Fri Nov 30th, 2012 at 05:20:59 PM EST
Well, that took longer than expected, didn't it?
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Fri Nov 30th, 2012 at 12:33:24 PM EST
Still, not a good start to the weekend. Or, indeed, December.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Fri Nov 30th, 2012 at 12:34:18 PM EST
Crikey, sorry to hear that. although, as you say, you'd more or less been expecting something in wind.

Give 'em hell. and remember, seeing as you now don't have to worry about being compos mentis the next day, you can venture further for beer than the Market Porter. I am available as a guide.

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Sat Dec 1st, 2012 at 08:44:33 AM EST
I know SOMEBODY must already know about these new wind blades.
They're being developed by GE.

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Fri Nov 30th, 2012 at 04:23:09 PM EST
With this new approach to making wind blades, GE believes that components could be built and assembled on site, meaning design engineers would no longer have to concern themselves with manufacturing and transportation limitations.

It seems more likely that the manufacturer or the contractor would have to create a relocatable blade assembly facility that would be set up at each wind farm location.

As the Dutch said while fighting the Spanish: "It is not necessary to have hope in order to persevere."
by ARGeezer (ARGeezer a in a circle eurotrib daught com) on Fri Nov 30th, 2012 at 05:57:33 PM EST
How heavy are these big blades? I must have missed the information.

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Nov 30th, 2012 at 06:08:03 PM EST
Say comparing the two blades: fabric and fiberglass?

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Nov 30th, 2012 at 06:09:54 PM EST
Like a windmill.

History turns full circle.

by eurogreen on Sun Dec 2nd, 2012 at 03:30:21 PM EST
Nicely shot too :-)

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner - that I moved to Nice.

by Ted Welch (tedwelch-at-mac-dot-com) on Fri Nov 30th, 2012 at 04:59:18 PM EST