Eurotrib Paris April 2012

by Ted Welch Sat Apr 28th, 2012 at 07:24:58 PM EST

My camera got switched on in my bag and drained the battery - so iphone pics:

As it was often raining we didn't take our usual walk to the Eiffel Tower after lunch on Saturday. We stayed in the Canteloup till about 6.30, then moved on about 50 yards to Les Ondes for dinner and more chat - you name it, we discussed it.

eurotrib-2012-hang-on-0747

eurotrib-hollande-2012-0751

eurotrib-2012-0745

eurotrib-2012-0744

eurotrib-paris-2012-0752

The view just round the corner from my hotel:

eurotrib-2012-eiffel-0750

And the (coveted) Blogging Above and Beyond the Call Duty Award

goes to ....

(opening envelope)

TED WELCH!

Thunderous applause.  Massive cheering.  Money rains down from On High.

by ATinNM on Sat Apr 28th, 2012 at 09:40:38 PM EST

And a plaque on the wall please :-) - "Ted blogged here in the early hours of April 29 2012".

In fact I'm a late sleeper and late riser - so recovering from Fri ev at Len's couscous place in time for the Sat lunch was an ordeal. But I managed to pace myself better on Sat, wine-wise - really unaccustomed wisdom - so I was still reasonably sober when I got back and was able to put up some pics. This was just as well as some late revellers returned to nearby rooms at 2.0 and 2.30.

I had planned to try a big French political meeting - Hollande's at Bercy this afternoon. But it was another late morning and then the weather belatedly turned fine, lots of sun and fresh wind, so just got a bus up to Montmartre. Photos later.

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner - that I moved to Nice.

by Ted Welch (tedwelch-at-mac-dot-com) on Sun Apr 29th, 2012 at 11:38:52 AM EST
So much for the Official version. Can we have the scandal now please...

Index of Frank's Diaries
by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Sun Apr 29th, 2012 at 07:20:22 AM EST

It wasn't a presidential election :-)

I believe someone else has some photos of one ETer so gripped by the discussion that they closed their eyes to consider the issues - at some length :-)

The group who slept together, as it were, will have their own stories to tell - we were told they had more intellectual discussion (though afew had no idea even of what time they got back) - alcohol-fuelled encore :-)

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner - that I moved to Nice.

by Ted Welch (tedwelch-at-mac-dot-com) on Sun Apr 29th, 2012 at 11:45:23 AM EST
Ha, yes I'm doing pre-emptive cringes over that photo for when it gets posted.

My excuse is that we carried on drinking till 2:30 at least after the friday night pre-meetup meetup. I'm not experienced at drinking wine and don't know how to pace myself, so there was just nothing left in the tank on Saturday and I'm surprised I didn't crash out sooner tbh.

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Mon Apr 30th, 2012 at 02:43:39 PM EST
Well, hopefully the person who has the shot is either sufficiently gallant not to post it or has sufficiently developed survival instincts not to post it.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Mon Apr 30th, 2012 at 03:21:36 PM EST
I think you look really cute when you're eyes are closed in deep concentration.

'tis strange I should be old and neither wise nor valiant. From "The Maid's Tragedy" by Beaumont & Fletcher
by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Tue May 1st, 2012 at 10:23:59 AM EST

I want Colman's version

It is rightly acknowledged that people of faith have no monopoly of virtue - Queen Elizabeth II

by eurogreen on Mon Apr 30th, 2012 at 04:45:06 AM EST
how about some names to match the faces?  I don't know anyone in this pic, or do I?
by stevesim on Mon Apr 30th, 2012 at 03:29:33 PM EST
L to R:

gk, Luis de Sousa, Bernard, Ted Welch, Colman, Cyrille.

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Mon Apr 30th, 2012 at 03:34:48 PM EST
thanks
by stevesim on Mon Apr 30th, 2012 at 04:37:56 PM EST
keeping a firm grip on the essentials

by eurogreen on Mon Apr 30th, 2012 at 04:50:01 AM EST
It's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Mon Apr 30th, 2012 at 02:44:15 PM EST
linca, Cyrille, LEP, afew, dvx, Helen's hands
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Mon Apr 30th, 2012 at 03:35:59 PM EST
but you can't get there from here"

by eurogreen on Mon Apr 30th, 2012 at 04:52:35 AM EST
but we're on our way

by eurogreen on Mon Apr 30th, 2012 at 04:54:36 AM EST
I'll stfu now.

by eurogreen on Mon Apr 30th, 2012 at 04:57:47 AM EST
with an iron hand. Firm but fair.

by eurogreen on Mon Apr 30th, 2012 at 05:00:47 AM EST
Let's move on, shall we?

by eurogreen on Mon Apr 30th, 2012 at 05:01:50 AM EST
Hello everyone, I'm still in Paris enjoying the sunshine. Of all the participants Jérôme was the only person I already knew. It was great to meet the faces behind the names here at ET, and a great dose of discussion too.

Thanks to all of you that made these last few days wonderful.

You might find me At The Edge Of Time.

by Luis de Sousa (luis[dot]a[dot]de[dot]sousa[at]gmail[dot]com) on Mon Apr 30th, 2012 at 05:12:30 AM EST
Great to see you too.
by Bernard on Mon Apr 30th, 2012 at 06:46:52 AM EST
... so did you get the wifi working in our (Migeru's) apartment?

by eurogreen on Mon Apr 30th, 2012 at 07:15:39 AM EST
Nope. But there's a nice Brasserie at the Bangnolet roundabout with free WiFi. Having a snack now :) Cheers.

P.S.: After a fantastic sunny day now it's raining.

You might find me At The Edge Of Time.

by Luis de Sousa (luis[dot]a[dot]de[dot]sousa[at]gmail[dot]com) on Mon Apr 30th, 2012 at 02:09:05 PM EST
good to see you too

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Mon Apr 30th, 2012 at 02:45:07 PM EST
It was really good meeting the new ones, you, Luis, and Mr and Mrs of Bath. Good times. Hope they roll around again soon.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Mon Apr 30th, 2012 at 03:21:09 PM EST
And eurogreen! My memory only just about goes back as far as yesterday...
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Mon Apr 30th, 2012 at 03:56:41 PM EST
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Mon Apr 30th, 2012 at 03:08:06 PM EST
gk, redstar, linca, Husband and Wife of Bath, eurogreen, Jerome a Paris, Colman
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Mon Apr 30th, 2012 at 03:37:57 PM EST
Would have loved to have been there! I had so much fun chatting with gk (among others!) that time. :)

Peak oil is not an energy crisis. It is a liquid fuel crisis.
by Starvid on Wed May 9th, 2012 at 08:00:25 AM EST

LEP with Luis and dvx.

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Mon Apr 30th, 2012 at 03:09:30 PM EST
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Mon Apr 30th, 2012 at 03:10:50 PM EST
Given my historically acute perception, one would have thought that angle would have caught my attention on the first visit, or perhaps the second, but...

and... how does one recycle bronze droppings?

In other news, it sure was a beautiful summer weekend in greater downtown Bremen, where at least one of us danced into May...

apparently there's a newspaper photo, it must be an event when an ancient one gets down to boogie and the young take notice.

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Anaïs Nin

by Crazy Horse on Tue May 1st, 2012 at 01:36:47 PM EST
PS. despite the wonderful weekend here, i very sadly missed you all.

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Anaïs Nin
by Crazy Horse on Tue May 1st, 2012 at 01:37:47 PM EST
We did too...
by Bernard on Tue May 1st, 2012 at 01:41:59 PM EST
So How has the World Changed as a result of this momentous gathering? How will the history books document it? What have the rest of us all missed? We need to know what great plots were hatched, what movements started, what programmes were enunciated!

Can we expect a stream of diaries and position papers soon?

Index of Frank's Diaries

by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Tue May 1st, 2012 at 10:00:32 AM EST
And as soon as we have sufficiently recovered, all will be told. (i.e., tomorrow)

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Tue May 1st, 2012 at 10:26:44 AM EST
Waiting for your pics, WofB, for more vicarious pleasure!
by ElaineinNM on Tue May 1st, 2012 at 11:30:47 AM EST
I had to recover from the trip home. I arrived in Innsbruck at 22:00 to discover that the 23:02 train to Italy had been cancelled, because of technical problems in Germany (according to the Austrians. In fact, it never arrived from Italy that morning, so that had no train to send back that night). After waiting for about 2 hours at the Schienenersatzverkehrsammelplatz at the back of the train station, a driver showed up looking for us - nobody had thought of telling the German drivers where we would be waiting. This was a bus to Trento and Florence, so he left behind some unhappy people trying to get to Venice, Bolzano and Brixen with no idea when/if a bus would arrive for them. After a rest stop somewhere on the highway, and half an hour getting lost in the outskirts of Trento, the bus finally got to the Trento train station to drop off one passenger a bit after 4am (I think everybody on the bus, myself included, would have preferred the ÖBB to have paid me for a night in Innsbruck instead....)
by gk (gk (gk quattro due due sette @gmail.com)) on Wed May 2nd, 2012 at 03:08:38 PM EST
Sounds grim :-(
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Wed May 2nd, 2012 at 03:18:47 PM EST