September 2012 - a turning point for Portugal

by Luis de Sousa Sun Sep 30th, 2012 at 01:11:41 PM EST

This blog entry is an experiment. Instead of the usual text there's a sound recording to listen to. Unfortunately I haven't managed to embed the sound player here at ET. I invite you to jump to my blog, AtTheEdgeOfTime to listen to it.

Below the fold are a few relevant links on the topic. Enjoy and please leave feedback on the feasibility of this blogging mode.

A couple of posts detailing this crisis a bit further:

The Debt Obsession (October of 2011)

A Postcard from Portugal (April of 2012)

Relevant articles in the media on these extraordinary events:

Portugal's austerity measures: The tipping point | The Economist

Portugal at flashpoint as austerity lights fires in mild-mannered populace | The Guardian

Portugal finally stands up and marches | The Guardian

Photo Gallery: "Basta!, Acordia!" | Público

Credits - the background music is a composition entitled "George Trakl" by Klaus Schulze, worthy every cent.

Unfortunately I haven't managed to embed the sound player here at ET.

HTML object embedding is restricted by the scoop software. If you post the HTML code we can try to enable the necessary tags, or create a macro.

I distribute. You re-distribute. He gives your hard-earned money to lazy scroungers. -- JakeS

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Sun Sep 30th, 2012 at 05:31:23 PM EST
Hi, it seems simple:

<iframe width="100%" height="166" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="http://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F61712937&show_artwork=true"></iframe>

But at this time I don't know if I'll be repeating this exercise. I'll need at least to master the sound mixing.

You might find me At The Edge Of Time.

by Luis de Sousa (luis[dot]a[dot]de[dot]sousa[at]gmail[dot]com) on Mon Oct 1st, 2012 at 05:55:46 PM EST
Never mind if you may not be repeating the experiment any time soon. Just by enabling the tool we will be allowing others (hello, Sven?) to experiment with it, too.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Mon Oct 1st, 2012 at 05:56:51 PM EST
Somehow it's hard to tell because the sound portion is so short. It seems ok, but I wonder if it would get harder to understand for a full diary.
by Metatone (metatone [a|t] gmail (dot) com) on Mon Oct 1st, 2012 at 12:12:38 PM EST
My two cents on sound and video; I prefer to read. I frequently won't bother with a video-only story, only going to the video link in hopes that there's a translation in text below it. Personal quirk.

Thanks for all the links, by the way. I worry for Portugal along with the others.

'tis strange I should be old and neither wise nor valiant. From "The Maid's Tragedy" by Beaumont & Fletcher

by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Mon Oct 1st, 2012 at 05:25:38 PM EST
Feel the same way. No video please, just let me read the text.
by sgr2 on Tue Oct 2nd, 2012 at 11:22:27 AM EST
Me three. It is easier to go back and forth at my own time in writing.

I like video only if it brings something extra. Just somebody talking is for me pointless. I guess if you can show instead of tell, please do, but if you can't then tell in writing.

by A swedish kind of death on Sat Oct 6th, 2012 at 08:38:47 AM EST
I've been trying to figure out just what it is about video that irks me so. I think the main thing is that often times the presenter becomes a major drama queen, probably figuring that this is the only opportunity he'll ever have to capitalize on his 15 minutes or it'll be gone forever. While that's probably true, it often makes for a video that's just a little too intense.
by sgr2 on Sun Oct 7th, 2012 at 01:04:44 PM EST