Who's up for a *sharing* in London?

by marco Sat Nov 30th, 2013 at 04:44:40 AM EST

here's a shot in the dark:

anyone around London free for an ET meet-up sharing between Christmas and New Year's, or in the week following New Year's?

Time and place fixed (thanks forHelen's suggestion):

December 27 from Two to Six o'clock
The King's Head, a Nicholson's Pub
just five minutes northwest of Green Park

Hope others can make it!

in addition to an excuse to scoff down fine English cuisine and beverage in good company, could be a good occasion to share thoughts and info about things that seem to be particularly relevant these days, e.g.

and whatever.

i propose the word sharing in two senses:  sharing company and food together, and sharing knowledge, experience and advice.

thus are born diaries from three tall ones on an empty stomach.  any takers?

Hi marco

We will stay in London over the festive period, so yes, we'd be up for that.

Although I wouldn't count on a meaningful contribution to a diary from the youngest 2 members of "we" -their total age is 6.

Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed. Gandhi

by Cyrille (cyrillev domain yahoo.fr) on Sat Nov 30th, 2013 at 08:14:43 AM EST
We're in London anyway, so I'm sure we can arrange something.

Anyone else?

by ThatBritGuy (thatbritguy (at) googlemail.com) on Sat Nov 30th, 2013 at 10:27:26 AM EST
great!  i'm shaking down family and friends in london for suggestions on a locale.

bur what about Lido Café in Hyde Park ?

i went there once last christmas holidays, and if i recall correctly, it seemed reasonably priced, and i think we could grab enough chairs and tables in a corner to have a bit of privacy and cohesion.

for people with young kids -- looking at you, Cyrille -- they can run around outside when they've had enough of bits and FITs.

but if anyone has other suggestions, please chime in.  i am not very familiar with london at all.

also, would December 26 work for people?

Point n'est besoin d'espérer pour entreprendre, ni de réussir pour persévérer. - Charles le Téméraire

by marco on Sat Nov 30th, 2013 at 09:48:32 PM EST
Yes, I should be able to do something, but 26th December isn't possible cos there are no trains for me that day. I haven't checked any other days but they do like digging up the track over that period.

As for the Lido cafe, are you sure it's open ? Places like that can be summers only.

Equally, there are no good pubs in the vicinity of that cafe. The nearest is about a mile away.

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Sun Dec 1st, 2013 at 03:39:07 AM EST
Work and then family commitments and transport rule me out I guess from around 16th to the 29th. Which is a long time. Bad planning on my part I think.
by Metatone (metatone [a|t] gmail (dot) com) on Sun Dec 1st, 2013 at 05:50:17 AM EST
As for me, while I will be in London then as well, I would rather avoid 28th to 1st.

by Cyrille (cyrillev domain yahoo.fr) on Sun Dec 1st, 2013 at 09:00:04 AM EST
Aren't lots of venues closed on Boxing Day?

'tis strange I should be old and neither wise nor valiant. From "The Maid's Tragedy" by Beaumont & Fletcher
by Wife of Bath (kareninaustin at g mail dot com) on Fri Dec 6th, 2013 at 06:02:59 AM EST
Pubs won't be, but a lot of restaurants might. 27th is safer. Also, I won't be able to get into town on 26th due to the lack of a train service that day.

However, as far as I can tell from the website, marco's suggested rendezvous will be open. But, what is a pleasant stroll from the tube in spring, summer and early autumn may well be less pleasant in the depth of winter. And there is genuinely no good pub to move on to within a mile of it.

I would venture a pub which does reliable, if not great food, would suffice. There are several  wetherspoons and Nicholsons pubs in the West end, away from the madding crowds of Oxford and Regent St and would be good places to while away the afternoon. And of course, there are even better pubs a short tube ride away for  the more adventurous later.

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Fri Dec 6th, 2013 at 06:55:51 AM EST
It sounds like the 26th and the 28th do not work for some folks.

So how about December 27 @ a Nicholson's Pub at 2 PM?

Thanks for the suggestion for Nicholson's pub, Helen.

Looks like there are quite a few in London, and several just west of Waterloo Bridge.

Any of them in particular convenient for us to meet in?

by marco on Wed Dec 11th, 2013 at 06:01:53 PM EST
I'm good to go for 27th (unless Network rail kybosh it with over-running engineering works).

the thing to remember is that you want to avoid the sales at all costs, so shopping areas and their surrounds are out.

I don't know the Coal hole but that's in the right place and seems to be away from the mob wheras the nearby Princess of Wales right by charing X station is a nightmare right in the middle of the worst.

One I've been in and can recommend is the Kings Head, 10 Stafford St, London W1S 4RX, just round the corner from Green Park tube. that said, it was couple of years ago but chain pubs rarely vary too much. It's the wrong end of Piccadilly for the madding crowds and then off the beaten track. It's in a very posh area so it's a leetle bit expensive but nothing's cheap in london these days

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Thu Dec 12th, 2013 at 09:59:53 AM EST
Time and place work for me.
Is it a family-friendly pub (or at least family-tolerant)? If yes, I may try to come as a party of four, if not, it will be just me.

by Cyrille (cyrillev domain yahoo.fr) on Tue Dec 24th, 2013 at 06:25:01 AM EST
Is this happening or not? I'll need to plan one way or the other.

by Cyrille (cyrillev domain yahoo.fr) on Wed Dec 25th, 2013 at 04:53:08 AM EST
Hi Cyrille, and all, sorry for not replying sooner.

Yes, let's meet from 2pm at the King's Head Nicholson's Pub, near Green Park:

Map here:

Address:
10 Stafford Street, London, W1S 4RX

Telephone:
020 7493 0337

by marco on Thu Dec 26th, 2013 at 03:23:40 AM EST
Have a good time!
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Thu Dec 26th, 2013 at 03:38:38 AM EST
OK, thanks. It looks like children are not accepted, as there is no children dishes on the menu. I'll try to check, but chances are that I'll come alone (although we may be in the area, so we could always chance it).

by Cyrille (cyrillev domain yahoo.fr) on Thu Dec 26th, 2013 at 03:38:52 AM EST
Ah sorry about that, Cyrille, I did not check that.

If it turns out they can make kid-friendly dishes, can you let us know, in case others have the same question?

by marco on Thu Dec 26th, 2013 at 04:21:11 AM EST
Planning to be there, but may be quite late...
by ThatBritGuy (thatbritguy (at) googlemail.com) on Thu Dec 26th, 2013 at 04:37:06 AM EST
Sounds good.  I'll arrive a little later than I had planned, closer to 2:30~3, so I may stay a little later as well.

Hope to meet up!

by marco on Fri Dec 27th, 2013 at 12:30:08 AM EST
The problem is not the kid-friendly dishes. The problem is that British pubs are off-limits to minors except if they have a designated "family" area, and the more "authentic" pubs don't.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Thu Dec 26th, 2013 at 05:12:28 AM EST
It's also a question of space. It should be a separate room with access to the street and facilities without going through designated drinking areas.

Most pubs are too small or open plan, both of which stop that right off.

some pubs get around it by designating themselves a restaurant before 5:00 but I think it's hard

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Thu Dec 26th, 2013 at 06:44:23 AM EST
Yeah, because children must not only not be served alcohol, but they must not be in the same room where alcohol is consumed. Or something.
Like I said, pubs are normally off-limits to minors.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Thu Dec 26th, 2013 at 06:58:22 AM EST
Well, they are allowed in the dining room.

Of course, that may not be where you'd like to be. And I don't know for sure whether they will be with me, but maybe if they are we could start in the dining room, they wouldn't stay for the whole afternoon anyway (I too may not actually, my parents will arrive later on Friday and it would be only fair to help a little in preparing our place).

by Cyrille (cyrillev domain yahoo.fr) on Thu Dec 26th, 2013 at 11:06:38 AM EST
Thanks for checking this, Cyrille, and sorry for any inconvenience.

Also, I just realized that I won't be there until at least 2:30, maybe closer to 3:00.

Hope to cross times with you for at least a bit!

by marco on Fri Dec 27th, 2013 at 12:29:12 AM EST