Should ET make more use of its Facebook page?

by Bjinse Thu Mar 23rd, 2017 at 08:04:01 PM EST

Because apparently there is an ET Facebook Page. Not that I can modify it or anything.

Discuss. Poll included.

Poll
Should ET have a Facebook Page?
. Yes. 66%
. No. 0%
. On the fence. BTW, why don't you write about clogs? 33%

Votes: 6
Results | Other Polls
Well, if we can't post to it, it's not a lot of use

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Thu Mar 23rd, 2017 at 09:59:19 PM EST
I always post a link to any stories I write here onto Twitter which automatically re-posts them to Facebook.  It is useful for bringing in readers who wouldn't normally go to the European Tribune or register as a user here and who thus wouldn't otherwise be able to comment.  Sometimes its creates a good parallel discussion on Facebook, but overall I wouldn't say it adds much functionality to the blogging experience...

I also blog on a closed Facebook rugby forum group mainly for Irish rugby fans.  It has grown very rapidly to 11K+ members so discussions tend to be lively and the participation rate is high. Most posts tend to be short comments, links, photographs or videos and so the level of analysis is often not very detailed or high.  I don't think it would be very suitable for the 1000 word plus posts we often produce here.

If we ever have to ditch scoop as a platform, Facebook might serve as a temporary emergency replacement.  At least it gives you some out of the box functionality and you don't have to worry about hosting or spam attacks. TBH I'd forgotten we had a Facebook page and am unclear what its intended purpose was or how it might expand our userbase here. Unless we create a closed group, it doesn't create a sense of a distinct community, but then that would defeat the purpose of disseminating our work as widely as possible.

So overall I am open to ideas/suggestions, but am unsure what value having a separate Facebook page adds to our work.

Index of Frank's Diaries

by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Fri Mar 24th, 2017 at 02:04:58 AM EST
It's in my control: I can add admins to it if people  have a plan.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Fri Mar 24th, 2017 at 10:11:12 AM EST
But life is all about muddling on.

I thought you'd have keys. :) Would you mind adding me (and Frank) as admins?

by Bjinse on Fri Mar 24th, 2017 at 11:37:25 AM EST
Done.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Fri Mar 24th, 2017 at 12:17:31 PM EST
by Bjinse on Fri Mar 24th, 2017 at 12:43:15 PM EST
I generally only lurk these days, so FB doesn't necessarily add anything for me. Easy to share, though, when articles/threads are particularly interesting.

paul spencer
by paul spencer (spencerinthegorge AT yahoo DOT com) on Fri Mar 24th, 2017 at 07:25:24 PM EST
Since I moved to android/chrome and lost tribext, it's a pain to rate and quote, so I'd vote yes, though FB has its issues too...

by melo (melometa4(at)gmail.com) on Sat Mar 25th, 2017 at 02:48:16 AM EST
Does anyone know how much work it would take to update Tribex to be compatible with the latest versions of Firefox? I would be happy to contribute to the cost if someone here has the expertise.

Index of Frank's Diaries
by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Mon Mar 27th, 2017 at 10:42:37 AM EST
FB makes sharing easy and instant, Tribext made it so easy to rate and share. I was always flummoxed why Kos didn't pick up on it.
Another good FB attribute is being able to edit posted bubus.

by melo (melometa4(at)gmail.com) on Tue Mar 28th, 2017 at 02:05:15 AM EST
I sometimes add the URL of an ET post to my FB page to advertise the site. There might be an advantage to so doing on the ET FB page, as it could go to people who don't see my FB page.

"It is not necessary to have hope in order to persevere."
by ARGeezer (ARGeezer a in a circle eurotrib daught com) on Sat Mar 25th, 2017 at 03:43:03 AM EST
FB as promotional vehicle makes sense. However, once you're writing on FB you're writing what FB allows you write. Probably not a good idea.

In other news, I'm planning to move ET to Linode servers in Germany rather than London in the next year. (Unless Linode open an Irish data centre, which is conceivable.)

by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Mon Mar 27th, 2017 at 10:28:37 AM EST
Has this got anything to do with Brexit?
by gk (gk (gk quattro due due sette @gmail.com)) on Mon Mar 27th, 2017 at 12:00:31 PM EST
Yeah. Not clear how UK data law is going to work with EU, so will plan to get out beforehand. (And if I'm thinking that ...)
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Mon Mar 27th, 2017 at 02:17:37 PM EST
Also vaguely software related: I think comment ratings on frontpage stories show up as  [Hidden Comment] in the user page. Had me seriously wondering if I missed some big flame war.
by generic on Mon Mar 27th, 2017 at 12:17:57 PM EST