The Southern Manchulia Railways (SMR) which Japan operated in Northeast China had this streamlined, high-speed train service from 1934. The limited express connected Dahrien and Hsingking (701 km) in 8.5 hours. (Picture Source: Kawasaki Heavy Industries)

The "Paci-Na" style locomotive shown here recorded about 120-170 km in the scheduled service.

One of the project team member of the SMR limited express service, Yasujiro Shima, was later involved in another project to introduce a similar high-speed train service in Japan, which had to be abandoned because of the war. Later, in 1964, Japan finally launched the high-speed train service, Shinkansen. The project leader was Hideo Shima, Yasujiro's son.

I will become a patissier, God willing.

by tuasfait on Mon Oct 10th, 2005 at 11:08:04 AM EST
I forgot to add the locomotive had wheels of 2000 mm in diameter.

I will become a patissier, God willing.
by tuasfait on Mon Oct 10th, 2005 at 11:12:12 AM EST
With data you give/link to, I found this on them. Then I realised: I know this locomotive! But only from photos, photos of one surviving unit in very bad shape:

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.

by DoDo on Mon Oct 10th, 2005 at 05:05:01 PM EST
I would like to give two 4 ratings for this (photo & story) :-)...

Interesting, so there were no streamlined high-speed locos at all in Japan proper?

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.

by DoDo on Mon Oct 10th, 2005 at 04:34:09 PM EST
I can't say for sure, but it would not surprise me if there weren't.  The terrain is not very friendly to high speed trains, and prior to the Shinkansen I don't think passenger rail had ever been a very high priority.

The streamlined era was what, the 30's and 40's?  Japan was already at was as early as 33.  Major rail-line upgrades for passengers just wasn't in the cards.

I could be wrong, though.

by Zwackus on Mon Oct 10th, 2005 at 06:49:51 PM EST
Actually, everything you say makes sense, and seems to hold true even considering the strange locomotive below:

This ugly duckling is the C53 No. 43. Why it had to be streamlined, I don't know: design speed is supposed to be a mere 95 km/h...

I found it when I re-visited a long ago bookmarked link (Gunter's Locomotive Page) for a completely different reason, and found it grew a lot - now with a long list of streamlined locos.

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.

by DoDo on Tue Oct 11th, 2005 at 10:53:15 AM EST
Wow, you found a pic I was trying to find. The work was done during the 1930s as they thought it was fashionable to do so. There was another experimental streamlining work done on a C55 loco too. As you point out, the work was practically meaningless except the cover made repair and maintenance more difficult.

The reason the speed was capped at mere 95 km/h is the terrain and the narrow gauge (1067 mm). Even today, except for Shinkansen, we still use 1067 mm.

I will become a patissier, God willing.

by tuasfait on Tue Oct 11th, 2005 at 09:48:53 PM EST