Not sure how to read your comment above.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Wed Nov 30th, 2005 at 06:11:42 AM EST
I'm not sure whether you meant my comment wasn't effectively snarky or whether you thought I was accidentially hitting the right target.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Wed Nov 30th, 2005 at 06:14:48 AM EST
Which one is it?

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Wed Nov 30th, 2005 at 06:16:26 AM EST
I knew it was Smith: not only did I recognise the quote but the painfully pedantic style is a dead giveaway. The reason noone reads his book is that it is simply too awful to contemplate - I'm still working my way through the audiobook after a year. Which reminds me ....
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Wed Nov 30th, 2005 at 06:20:06 AM EST
Painfully pedantic? He was writing in the 1770's, cut the guy some slack.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Wed Nov 30th, 2005 at 06:22:02 AM EST
Yes, but unfortunately I'm reading (or listening to it) in the 2000's: it's painfully pedantic from where I'm sitting. And I'm cutting the man enough slack to struggle on through it.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Wed Nov 30th, 2005 at 06:28:52 AM EST
I don't think I could stomach an audiobook version. Who is the reader?

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Wed Nov 30th, 2005 at 06:33:50 AM EST
Some escaped robot. It's awful. Sample here. There's no way I'm going to work through the book itself though, so it makes an illuminating substitute for radio. I have a very abridged version I'm actually going to read.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Wed Nov 30th, 2005 at 06:40:37 AM EST
52 seconds from comment posted to reply posted - that must be the record...

In the long run, we're all dead. John Maynard Keynes
by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Wed Nov 30th, 2005 at 03:30:09 PM EST
I think Migeru and I take our cranky mid-morning break at about the same time ...
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Wed Nov 30th, 2005 at 03:51:30 PM EST