Marx obviously, or some other nasty commie. Probably French...

Adam Smith debunked the sort of nonsense in that quote centuries ago when he described how free market economics would lead us all to the promised land.

by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Wed Nov 30th, 2005 at 04:30:17 AM EST
Sometimes you try to snark too hard.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Wed Nov 30th, 2005 at 05:51:45 AM EST
Not sure how to read that.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Wed Nov 30th, 2005 at 06:10:50 AM EST
Not sure how to read your comment above.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Wed Nov 30th, 2005 at 06:11:42 AM EST
I'm not sure whether you meant my comment wasn't effectively snarky or whether you thought I was accidentially hitting the right target.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Wed Nov 30th, 2005 at 06:14:48 AM EST
Which one is it?

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Wed Nov 30th, 2005 at 06:16:26 AM EST
I knew it was Smith: not only did I recognise the quote but the painfully pedantic style is a dead giveaway. The reason noone reads his book is that it is simply too awful to contemplate - I'm still working my way through the audiobook after a year. Which reminds me ....
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Wed Nov 30th, 2005 at 06:20:06 AM EST
Painfully pedantic? He was writing in the 1770's, cut the guy some slack.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Wed Nov 30th, 2005 at 06:22:02 AM EST
Yes, but unfortunately I'm reading (or listening to it) in the 2000's: it's painfully pedantic from where I'm sitting. And I'm cutting the man enough slack to struggle on through it.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Wed Nov 30th, 2005 at 06:28:52 AM EST
I don't think I could stomach an audiobook version. Who is the reader?

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Wed Nov 30th, 2005 at 06:33:50 AM EST
Some escaped robot. It's awful. Sample here. There's no way I'm going to work through the book itself though, so it makes an illuminating substitute for radio. I have a very abridged version I'm actually going to read.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Wed Nov 30th, 2005 at 06:40:37 AM EST
52 seconds from comment posted to reply posted - that must be the record...

In the long run, we're all dead. John Maynard Keynes
by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Wed Nov 30th, 2005 at 03:30:09 PM EST
I think Migeru and I take our cranky mid-morning break at about the same time ...
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Wed Nov 30th, 2005 at 03:51:30 PM EST