I think that Jerome a Paris possibly underestimates the problem. Almost all of North America has been built on the assumption of car transport and unlimited land. This includes urban and rural areas. The cost to provide environmentally friendly anything is prohibitive except in the biggest of cities, and even there...

People have been telling Jerome this for forever.  I really do think he's going to have to pack up and move here to fully comprehend the scale of the problem.  But I don't see that happening, so I wish he would just take our word for it.

by p------- on Tue Oct 31st, 2006 at 04:21:41 PM EST
This always sounds to me like saying that because the problem is big it's not worth trying to fix.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Tue Oct 31st, 2006 at 04:29:19 PM EST
I thought we weren't going to read things into each others' comments now?

It's not a reason to not fix the problem, but understanding the scope of the problem better might go a loooong way toward understanding why Americans are so hesitant and intimidated by thought of tackling it.  You are literally talking about radically changing the basic infrastracture of the 3rd largest country in the world.  It can and should be done.  But you are going to have a hard time convincing people if it seems you don't really have a good grasp of what you are proposing.

by p------- on Tue Oct 31st, 2006 at 04:52:45 PM EST
What part do you think he doesn't seem to understand?
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Tue Oct 31st, 2006 at 04:56:18 PM EST
The failure to fix the problem is so huge as to make the loss of Florida the least of our problems. We can not afford not to fix the problem - but that is just what I am afraid will happen.

Talking about mass transit without talking about fundamental shifts in urban planning and even fundamental shifts in our personal goals and life style is not going to go very far. The idea of the white picket fence two cars and 2.2 children - large lot on a dead end street in a suburb carefully designed to maximise the dead end streets is not viable - environmentally or economically.

We must understand what it means to say that this neighbourhood - (and the 500-1000-5000 whatever number of people who live in it) need to be redesigned so roads are friendly to mass transit. That the population density needs to be at least tripled to encourage economic activity and mass transit. We must deal with the mess we have now - intelligently. Sticking busses on the road and watch them drive around all day without any passengers on them will not make things better - and that is just what happens in the small city - large town that I live in.

aspiring to genteel poverty

by edwin (eeeeeeee222222rrrrreeeeeaaaaadddddd@@@@yyyyaaaaaaa) on Tue Oct 31st, 2006 at 05:00:15 PM EST
The problem is so big it's hard to imagine where to start fixing it. In involves very basic attitudes to quality of life.

Those whom the Gods wish to destroy They first make mad. -- Euripides
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Tue Oct 31st, 2006 at 05:31:45 PM EST
I'd wish you'd make up your mind whether I should come because I underestimate the problem or because I underestimate it...

Maybe, just maybe I'm aware of the situation and trying to write nuanced stories, you know?

In the long run, we're all dead. John Maynard Keynes

by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Tue Oct 31st, 2006 at 04:44:57 PM EST
Did you mean to say "overestimate" once?
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Tue Oct 31st, 2006 at 04:48:25 PM EST
Pure "underestimating".  You underestimate how wacked out the Right is, how Euro-style liberal some on the left are, and how much people rely on their cars. :)

by p------- on Tue Oct 31st, 2006 at 04:55:07 PM EST
I'm just hoping that everybody will actually read what I wrote?

In the long run, we're all dead. John Maynard Keynes
by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Tue Oct 31st, 2006 at 05:42:13 PM EST
I think they do.  I hope they do.

by p------- on Tue Oct 31st, 2006 at 05:46:41 PM EST