Ma as an essential ingredient for all life. Hmmmmm - that is a new one. I wonder what the other indespensible components of the Life Recipe are?

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Sun Oct 8th, 2006 at 05:23:16 AM EST
Masurium?

Those whom the Gods wish to destroy They first make mad. -- Euripides
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Sun Oct 8th, 2006 at 05:26:54 AM EST
My tribute to the Greek god Typos ;-)

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Sun Oct 8th, 2006 at 05:31:25 AM EST
Depending on your definition of life, only Carbon, Hydrogen, Nitrogen and Oxygen. The least you can call living is an autocatalytic RNA molecule.

"Magnesium is essential to cell function and is found in every cell type of every organism" tells you nothing about primitive life.

However, it is most likely that life arose in the sea. Sea water is rich in Chloride, Sodium, Magnesium, Sulphate, Calcium, Potassium, Carbon, Bromide, Boron, Strontium and Fluoride [there is an issue of how much this composition depends on the fact that life has been present for billions of years] and you would espect those elements to play a role in Earth life.

Those whom the Gods wish to destroy They first make mad. -- Euripides

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Sun Oct 8th, 2006 at 05:35:27 AM EST
An interesting spin-off from the CO2/panic discovery that I wrote about earlier is the theory that large fish living in shallow water dominated by oxygen devouring plant life would have used their forefins to push themselves up above the surface to 'gasp' air (via gills?). Evolutional mutation would throw up 'improved' pelvic fins that would hand out a survival advantage.

The human reaction to sudden increases in CO2 in the environment is the head thrown up and back.

You can't be me, I'm taken

by Sven Triloqvist on Sun Oct 8th, 2006 at 05:47:55 AM EST
It is assumed that initially the Earth started out with vast amounts of iron dissolved in the world's acidic seas. Eventually, as photosynthetic organisms generated oxygen, the available iron in the Earth's oceans was precipitated out as iron oxides.
As this happened about 2 billion years ago, clearly primitive life evolved in a very different environment from the current one.

Those whom the Gods wish to destroy They first make mad. -- Euripides