I think it is easier to bypass the arrogant economists at the INSEE into irrelevance than to get them to open their archives.

Those whom the Gods wish to destroy They first make mad. -- Euripides
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Mon Nov 20th, 2006 at 03:05:45 PM EST
I don't know INSEE economists or internal politics so I can't comment.

But I have some (small) hope that if a certain candidate is elected in 2007, a lot of arrogant people in the administration will have to deal with what citizen want and change a bit their habits.

by Laurent GUERBY on Mon Nov 20th, 2006 at 03:20:43 PM EST
I just knew you were for Sarkozy. ;)

There's no reason why they shouldn't release price data. It doesn't have to indicate the names of the stores where it was collected. They release plenty of data about citizens from the census -- which (in France at least) is nominative, though no names are made public.

BTW, your experience with BLS and INSEE fits with my feelings about each, from attempting to collate data from their web sites. The BLS is fairly open, INSEE is fairly shut. I think INSEE has never been told to do otherwise. It's true it would be nice to see that change...

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Mon Nov 20th, 2006 at 03:55:50 PM EST

I don't see a reason to remove the store name, I don't ask them either to release their data on the spot. After say three monthes would be fine and would protect any hypothetical business interest while preserving usefulness for everyone.

I don't think INSEE is alone here, most (if not all) french administration have no culture of being friendly about releasing their data.

by Laurent GUERBY on Mon Nov 20th, 2006 at 04:17:55 PM EST
Fits with the tradition of enlightened despotism.

Those whom the Gods wish to destroy They first make mad. -- Euripides
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Mon Nov 20th, 2006 at 04:31:40 PM EST
With the qualifier that INSEE's remit is actually to provide data... :-)
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Tue Nov 21st, 2006 at 12:03:37 PM EST
The fact is, in France, they used to (until they started reading the FT...)

In the long run, we're all dead. John Maynard Keynes
by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Mon Nov 20th, 2006 at 04:57:37 PM EST
They all want to work for banks or what :)
by Laurent GUERBY on Mon Nov 20th, 2006 at 05:13:40 PM EST