Welcome to European Tribune. It's gone a bit quiet around here these days, but it's still going.
you probably know this, but just to clarify for others who may not,,,,,groups like the NRA are not classified as charitable organizations.  So contributions to them are not tax deductible, as are charitiable deductions to organizations such as the Red Cross, United Way, Katrina or the tsunami fund raising programs, etc.  The NRA is a political advocacy group, and just like all political donations, not tax deductible.

If people who give to the United Way truly cared about the poor, shouldn't they direct their money and effort toward lobbying the government and pressuring candidates for political office to build a safety net, instead?
Personally I give to both charitable groups and political groups and parties pushing an agenda.  In my case 90% to charitable causes I believe in and 10% to political efforts.  But it seems to me this is a matter of choice.  I check out the charities I give to to find out how much of the money goes to their served cause as opposed to administrative costs, marketing costs, etc.(they are required to provide those documents, and audited on the veracity of the documents--not suggesting it's perfect, but just good).  It seems to me that both advocacy and charity are worthwhile efforts for all of us, but individually we should just make our own choices as to how much money and time we want to, and can afford to, put into these efforts.
by wchurchill on Sat Nov 25th, 2006 at 03:36:45 AM EST
[ Parent ]
In France donations to political parties are also deducible from taxes at 66% level up to 20% of income. The only limit is maximum 7500 euros per party (for a real cost of 2500 euros if you pay enough taxes) for an individual (I don't believe corporation can donate), but you can give to multiple parties.
by Laurent GUERBY on Sat Nov 25th, 2006 at 05:52:52 AM EST
[ Parent ]
In Canada donations to political parties are tax deductible, I believe at a higher rate than for charities.

When it comes to charities, Canada has a matching grant system called CIDA. I really don't know that much about it,

 Have in-house skills in at least one of the priority activity sectors of the IHA (International Humanitarian Aid - sic) program, and more specifically, in the priority sectors needed to respond to the Asia disaster.
 Have three years of work experience in the delivery of humanitarian assistance in at least three different countries.
 Be active before the disaster in the affected countries.
 Have experience and proven capacity to achieve results directly relevant to humanitarian-assistance objectives.
 Be able to submit credible reports showing a track record of achieving relevant results.
 Be committed to networking, partnership, and coordination through strong existing relationships with local NGOs in developing countries and through experience in cooperation with UN organizations and local governments.

except that it monitors charities and provides matching Canadian government money to private donations for some charities. Effectively for every dollar you give two dollars are donated and you can receive money back on your taxes.

aspiring to genteel poverty

by edwin (eeeeeeee222222rrrrreeeeeaaaaadddddd@@@@yyyyaaaaaaa) on Sat Nov 25th, 2006 at 10:23:37 AM EST
[ Parent ]


Top Diaries

Occasional Series