I regret I haven´t been much help this past week. I have been traveling. It´s amazing the lack of internet points where I am. Anyway, now that Napolitano is the president-elect, Ciampi should resign on Monday. Napolitano ought to be sworn in soon after and ask Prodi to form a government.

Napolitano was certainly the best all around choice. The opposition missed an occasion to appear responsible. In all of this B is the big loser.

On another note there are very important developments in the Abu Omar kidnapping case. A carabinieri, ROS Marshall Luciano Pironi, has confessed to having been an off-hours CIA irregular who participated in the actual kidnapping. His confession unveils probable collusion of the Italian government and the Sismi in the case- something both have always denied. The scoop will be published tomorrow, Friday, in the Espresso weekly.

It´s fitting that the care-taker Berlusconi government in its last throws can only release official notes of denial that aren´t worth the water they´re written on.

by de Gondi (publiobestia aaaatttthotmaildaughtusual) on Thu May 11th, 2006 at 04:29:47 PM EST
On my side I'm now back on ET more seriously, after a 4-5 day absence and/or occasional read.

I've decided to sip some wine tonight ("why not" I thought, this must be the 3rd time I get myself a bottle in say 4 months, bar this weekend's party, so it's not like I'm an alcoholic) ...

... my commenting is therefore going to become excellent after a few glasses, consider yourselves warned.

slurp slurp aaah

by Alex in Toulouse on Thu May 11th, 2006 at 05:36:30 PM EST
I look forward to your drunken comments, Alex!  Things have gotten to that point here -- I'm listening to Meatloaf and thinking Paradise Under the Dashboard Light is The. Best. Song. EVER!

I think I need some distraction... (/understatement)

Maybe we can eventually make language a complete impediment to understanding. -Hobbes

by Izzy (izzy at eurotrib dot com) on Thu May 11th, 2006 at 06:13:20 PM EST
Well let me see, what could I say. Ok like I said I fell asleep in the toilets on Sunday evening at my friend's civil union party. I of course have no recollection of this. The way it happened: somebody wanted to use the toilets, but I was in for a while so that somebody got suspicious. Two friends came and unlocked from outisde, found me snoring comfortably, sitting on the seat to take a pee (I always sit to take a pee). As they tried to put my shorts back on before lifting me out, I woke up, stood up quickly, started bellowing uncomprehensible stuff in English, and hobbled past them straight towards the living room where I crashed onto a sofa with my shorts still down.

I can't believe that people say alcohol is a mild social lubricant.

by Alex in Toulouse on Thu May 11th, 2006 at 06:17:50 PM EST
  1.  Will you be drinking at the meetup?

2.  Are we allowed to laugh in front of you or do we have to keep it in email?

3.  Is there any way you can go to YearlyKos in Vegas and arrange, say, a dinner with Jerome and Maryscott?

by Izzy (izzy at eurotrib dot com) on Thu May 11th, 2006 at 06:26:26 PM EST
  1. Oh I'll certainly have a few beers at the meetup, and at that mild level of boozing it's guaranteed that I will behave.

2. You can fully laugh in front of me, I don't mind ;) After a few drinks anyhow I laugh at just about anything anyone says.

3. Vegas? Have you been drinking? ;))
by Alex in Toulouse on Thu May 11th, 2006 at 06:32:50 PM EST
Here's another anecdote. I was at the same countryside houes last year, with the same friends (back then we were celebrating two birthdays). On the first morning after, I had this weird sensation on my face in my dream, I awoke but still had my eyes shut ... and it took me a few minutes to figure out that I was sleeping on the lawn outside and that my friend's dog was licking my face non-stop (and this dog is not particularly a face licker, or at least not for such long periods of time). I got up, saw that a few friends were passed out on the lawn too, turned around, and saw that the wooden terrace's wooden table was on fire. This friend of mine (girl) had lit these sweet cosy candles in oil the night before, but had left them on all night, and one had been consumed all the way to the base, the oil had overspilled, burned the plastic covering on the table, and then started burning the table, a table sitting like I said on a wooden terrace, and underneath a wooden roof covering linked to the house. The fire was a good 2 meters high and 1 meter large when I got up thanks to Rintintint's licking efforts. I thought "ok, I don't live here, maybe it's none of my business". Then I thought "ok Alex, time to wake up, it is your business, the house is about to go on fire. I thought "ok what do people do in movies to put out fires? ah yes, they cover them with blankets". So my alcohol-damaged brain thought that I should get something like a blanket. So I grabbed a newspaper and tried to put it out with that. Bad idea. My neurons were out and failing me. So I woke up a friend sleeping on the lawn nearby. Tried anyhow for some time "hey hey hey hey wake up hey hey there is a fire to put out". He finally got up, looked at the fire. I asked him "what's the best way to put out a fire". I was very calm, just not very intelligent. He looked at it for a good minute and told me "hum, I think water will work". So we got a few liters of water bottles and put out the fire, and saved the day for all the people sleeping inside.

I can't believe that people say alcohol makes people smarter.

by Alex in Toulouse on Thu May 11th, 2006 at 06:30:59 PM EST
Oh man guys guys guys, I just talked to my (younger) brother's new girlfriend for the first time (on the phone)! Aha cool. She's Tunisian ... she and he were talking to me about this new dog that they just got and which they named "Harissa Couscous Boulette" (I can't possibly translate that, but it's kind of a whacky hommage to her Tunisian heritage).

Do you have any younger brothers and sisters and if you do, do you get all excited about life developments concerning them?

by Alex in Toulouse on Thu May 11th, 2006 at 06:53:21 PM EST
Precision: my younger brother is 10 years younger than me, so in my case the "elder brother reference" is in its full potential. He looks up to me for some things, for other things he needs to look down on me. It's coooooool to be an elder brother like that hehehehehe. I do have an elder brother myself, but we're only a year apart. And he's the married with kids type, so I really am the one who's more in line with my younger brother's student life.
by Alex in Toulouse on Thu May 11th, 2006 at 06:56:09 PM EST
Between this and Migeru's hirsute comment, I think I'm learning more about Europeans than I ever wanted to know...

by p------- on Thu May 11th, 2006 at 06:33:50 PM EST
I always thought, naively perhaps, that a man who sits down to pee is more of a lady's man (as opposed to those damn slobs who stand to pee and $#0% anger the ladies, and myself).
by Alex in Toulouse on Thu May 11th, 2006 at 07:00:20 PM EST
Ladies man?

Uhm, ok...  Clean up after thyself is all I ask. More than that I don't want to know.

Look, I'm all for women and men sharing a drink, a bed, a pet, and even some things best left unmentioned here, but once you close that bathroom door behind you, the rest is your business and yours alone!  I mean, who the hell are you trying to impress in there?!  And where did your get such an odd idea?

by p------- on Thu May 11th, 2006 at 08:48:42 PM EST
Take it easy - Ritter hasn't yet posted photographs from FKK beaches :-)

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Fri May 12th, 2006 at 05:11:46 PM EST
Nelonen - the alternative TV channel - had their annual drunken bash tonight at Club 51 in downtown Helsinki. It even went so far as having live golden ladies lying in the buffet table. (Roman Bacchanalian theme).

Anyway, I got a bit pie-eyed, and then went to my brother-in-laws restaurant which has a knees-up on Thursday nights. (Our Lyon expert knows the place well)

Than I went for a train about 01.50 out into the night (full moon). I'll just catch some zeees I thought as I made myself comfortable on  the train. Classic mistake. I went 5 stops over (some 20 Kms) and landed in the god-forsaken siding of Nuppulinna on a fortunately warm night. As the taxi driver said "Don't do this in winter".

Anyway. I'm awake now---