Charlie Rose: An Hour With Nicholas Sarkozy

SARKOZY:  France has a lot of advantages, a lot going for it.  But I want to reconcile France with success.  There is a moral crisis in France, that has a name, and that is the "crisis of labor (or work).

What do you think of Chirac?

Why are you opposed to full EU membership for Turkey?

Why do you want to be the president?

Whole interview at Google video.

Truth unfolds in time through a communal process.
by marco on Sun Feb 4th, 2007 at 03:51:38 AM EST
One smooth-talking confident 23-year old (the woman interviewer has to ask him to wait for her to finish her question, because he is always about to pounce on her with his interjections.)

(In French)

Truth unfolds in time through a communal process.

by marco on Sun Feb 4th, 2007 at 04:22:45 AM EST
That Turkey answer is making my head explode.

This man must be defeated.

by the stormy present (stormypresent aaaaaaat gmail etc) on Sun Feb 4th, 2007 at 05:04:22 AM EST
At one point, he says "Russia is not part of Europe" ! I'll try to look into that.
by balbuz on Sun Feb 4th, 2007 at 07:37:54 AM EST
He also says "I am against egalitarianism."

And he says something like "one is liberated through work".

He also says the U.S. needs to get their shit together and join the rest of the world in protecting the environment.

And he is very firm about the "values of France", and if you want to live in French society, you need to respect those values and principles, or else you're not welcome.

Truth unfolds in time through a communal process.

by marco on Sun Feb 4th, 2007 at 08:01:00 AM EST
Oh yes, and something like, "You Americans need to remember that the world does not end on the Pacific and Atlantic coasts of your country, that men and women just like you live beyond your borders."

Truth unfolds in time through a communal process.
by marco on Sun Feb 4th, 2007 at 08:02:19 AM EST
"But not the Turks.  Oh no no no no... they're not like us, they're not European, because Turkey is not in Europe.  And did I mention that Turkey is not in Europe?  I think I'm going to say another five times that Turkey is not in Europe.  How can you even ask me this question?  Because Turkey is not in Europe.  And then I'm going to draw a completely inappropriate and rather idiotic comparison with Mexico because hey, all brown people are alike, and can't we all just agree that we don't want brown people in our countries?  Or Russians.  And oh by the way, Turkey is not in Europe."
by the stormy present (stormypresent aaaaaaat gmail etc) on Sun Feb 4th, 2007 at 08:09:10 AM EST
</Sarko>

In case that wasn't clear.

by the stormy present (stormypresent aaaaaaat gmail etc) on Sun Feb 4th, 2007 at 08:20:41 AM EST
(This is sort of a composite reply to this and your other comment.)

The man's a big pile of Bad News.

He's playing for the Le Pen vote in the second round and likely going to win.

I have no idea how to fight this culture war in the short term. My own experience is that this kind of bigotry subsides slowly over time. Things are a lot better in the UK than when I was young and I'd think that similar progress is being made in France.

But, the democratic process isn't able to constrain people like Sarkozy right now. When he wins it's going to be a fillip for the neo-cons and bigots everywhere.

Argh.

by Metatone (metatone [a|t] gmail (dot) com) on Sun Feb 4th, 2007 at 08:52:29 AM EST
I fear you may be right, and it fills me with dread and frustration.

There must be a way to make it so that blatantly courting the "LePen vote" will be just as tainted and unpalatable and unacceptable as LePen himself is.  We must not let the bigoted rhetoric of LePen and his ilk become "acceptable" just because it is being voiced by "mainstream" politicians.

How we do that is another question.

by the stormy present (stormypresent aaaaaaat gmail etc) on Sun Feb 4th, 2007 at 09:21:45 AM EST
He's on very good terms with the Aznarite wing of the Spanish PP, unlike Chirac and Villepin.

"It's the statue, man, The Statue."
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Sun Feb 4th, 2007 at 10:02:59 AM EST
I don't want to sound "tinfoil" but are we seeing the fruits of Aznar's US work here?

Actually maybe that is too tinfoil. I'm letting Jerome's impassioned defence of France blind me to the fact that there's just as large a reactionary faction there as anywhere.

Still, Aznar and other similar efforts to expand US influence are in full flow. Certainly Michael Gove is the centre of a US (Richard Perle) funded push to promote a "War on Islamism" in the UK.

by Metatone (metatone [a|t] gmail (dot) com) on Sun Feb 4th, 2007 at 11:10:05 AM EST
Aznar is busy appearing in the foreign press and strongly criticising the Spanish government as well as advocating foll-on neocon policies, like bringing Israel into NATO.

"It's the statue, man, The Statue."
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Sun Feb 4th, 2007 at 11:42:25 AM EST
Found this in the Telegraph (!!!) via here.

Sarkozy is accused of holding racial views

One of the heroes of France's World Cup-winning football team yesterday accused Nicolas Sarkozy, the Right's presidential candidate, of having a "racial" view of society's problems.
[...]
Recalling a meeting with Mr Sarkozy, the interior minister, following riots in the suburbs of Paris in late 2005, Mr [Lilian] Thuram, 35, said: "He told me, you know, it's the blacks and the Arabs who create the problems in the suburbs.

"And I told him, it's not the blacks and the Arabs who create the problems in the suburbs, those who create the problems in the suburbs are called delinquents.

"[Mr Sarkozy] has a racial vision of issues and people."

by the stormy present (stormypresent aaaaaaat gmail etc) on Sun Feb 4th, 2007 at 08:36:55 AM EST