I am resigned to this happening, and I think the use of tactical nukes is highly likely. And do you know what will happen?

Nothing. There might be some condemnation and hard-wringing and perhaps even a few harsh-sounding words ... but nothing else. No Chinese sell-off of USD or bonds (why bother? how would that profit China's elites?), nothing from Putin, nothing from anyone. No one will do a damn thing.

Of course, if the US were dumb enough to use conventional forces or attempt any actual fighting, it would get whupped in short order, because you need a functional military to do fighting, as opposed to just blowing up people from a safe distance.

That's why it will be tactical nukes.

And no one will do a damn thing about it.

If you all thought the invasion of Iraq and subsequent whoring by organizations such as the BBC was completely unbelievable, and I certainly did, wait until you see this.

by wing26 on Thu Oct 25th, 2007 at 11:15:28 AM EST
I tend to think you're right, in the short term. The medium term effect is lowering the bar for nuclear use by other people and making it more likely that Islamists will consider using nuclear weapons against "Western" civilian targets morally justifiable.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Thu Oct 25th, 2007 at 11:18:56 AM EST
Yeah. As I said in "empire 2", there is a huge need to get tactical nukes on the table and made usable, since there aint much left. They need to push the window out to include the big bangers.

Capitalism searches out the darkest corners of human potential, and mainlines them.
by geezer in Paris (risico at wanadoo(flypoop)fr) on Thu Oct 25th, 2007 at 01:41:17 PM EST
I'm not so sure it'll be tactical nukes. It looks more like the Bush Admin is setting up to usebig, bad conventional weapons, as evidenced in their latest DoD appropriations request.

Gotta remember that Bush is a classic narcissist, at the end of his term, big Napoleonic complex, worried about his "legacy" one hundred years from now. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing using nukes, unprovoked, couldn't be spun, even in this moron's self-absorbed mind, as being the stuff of a positive historical review for posterity.

The Hun is always either at your throat or at your feet. Winston Churchill

by r------ on Thu Oct 25th, 2007 at 12:21:16 PM EST
I'm not so sure it'll be tactical nukes.

I share your view (see my comment below)

Also, they must know that from this study that Earth-Penetrating Nuclear Weapons would not be very effective and would in any case produce huge radioactive fallouts (which, besides killing thousands of civilians, could affect American troops in the area).

"Dieu se rit des hommes qui se plaignent des conséquences alors qu'ils en chérissent les causes" Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

by Melanchthon on Thu Oct 25th, 2007 at 01:02:04 PM EST
I sadly agree. No one will do a thing.

by geezer in Paris (risico at wanadoo(flypoop)fr) on Thu Oct 25th, 2007 at 12:57:37 PM EST