Excellent, and sickening, diary. As you say:

Long-term, doesn't it concern anyone that the skills and infrastructure to actually make things are disappearing from America, and that if anything happens to short-circuit the supply line from Asia, this nation may become a pitiful helpless giant?

In fact I'm sure millions of Americans are concerned about this, but feel helpless to do anything to change the system which has led to this - and Democrat politicians  are too dependent on their corporate sponsors to do much more than tinker with details. But it must occur to them that if many more jobs move abroad there won't be customers even for cheap (but potentially deadly) products from China and if corporations move their markets as well as their production elsewhere American politicians won't have sponsors.

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner - that I moved to Nice.

by Ted Welch (tedwelch-at-mac-dot-com) on Tue Oct 30th, 2007 at 04:59:56 AM EST
I absolutely agree--there are millions who realize this, especially if they are old enough to remember steel mills and assembly plants, repair shops and craftspeople, or stories of shortages in World War II.

But I've found that though they may feel--and may be--helpless to affect the macro scene, they are more open to positive change over what they can control, like energy efficiency at home and fuel efficiency and alternative energy for their vehicles. And by "they" I mean the kind of people I grew up around in western Pennsylvania.

"The end of all intelligent analysis is to clear the way for synthesis." H.G. Wells "It's not dark yet, but it's getting there." Bob Dylan

by Captain Future (captainfuture is at sbcglobal dot net) on Tue Oct 30th, 2007 at 05:10:50 AM EST

Yes, and that's good as far as it goes, unfortunately not far, and, also unfortunately, it reflects the emphasis on the individual in US culture, which, of course, is good for  corporations, who don't want organised opposition.  But at least if they start thinking actively about such issues, they are likely to start making the connections - as you have - and see the need for more collective action and the value of a government concerned with solving social problems rather than adding to them.

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner - that I moved to Nice.

by Ted Welch (tedwelch-at-mac-dot-com) on Tue Oct 30th, 2007 at 06:20:49 AM EST

As long as Americans (or American funds) remain the major shareholders and foreign investors use US based financial firms, the corporations can move their production and even sieges anywhere is convenient (in fact, they have been doing so for quite a long time), it doesn't matter. US politicians will still have sponsors.

"Dieu se rit des hommes qui se plaignent des conséquences alors qu'ils en chérissent les causes" Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

by Melanchthon on Tue Oct 30th, 2007 at 08:28:26 AM EST
I don't know who you're quoting here but it isn't this commentary.  Formal "U.S." corporations retain marketing and often other functions in the U.S., and political influence is a function of marketing.  That actually makes my point, following Klein: the corporations are hollow.

by Captain Future (captainfuture is at sbcglobal dot net) on Tue Oct 30th, 2007 at 09:15:11 PM EST
I agree with you. I was answering (and quoting) Ted's comment above.

by Melanchthon on Wed Oct 31st, 2007 at 05:28:54 AM EST