Now the thing is that I had to walk past the(/what I thought to be a?) corpse, did so looking straight ahead, but now I am thinking why I didn't look whether there is some life in him and if I can help. And that's a question my co-passengers must ask themselves, too. We're idiots.

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Fri Nov 23rd, 2007 at 03:52:26 PM EST
I can sympathize even more as I failed to save that person.

This is the reason why I said that where death is gone in our societies is important. We don't really know how to react, overwhelmed as we are by the sight of blood and probable pain. People with the best reaction call those who know better, the doctors, and that's it. Who will dare put their hands on a wound to stop bleeding?

The reason why I mentioned cleaning corpse is that even the natural death of our parents scares us. We call those who know better, yet again. We let strangers intervene in the middle of difficult moments because we are utterly unprepared, taken aback by something we live with everyday, our body.

I know my great grand mother knew how to clean corpses and she was just a farmer who probably had never left her village.

Rien n'est gratuit en ce bas monde. Tout s'expie, le bien comme le mal, se paie tot ou tard. Le bien c'est beaucoup plus cher, forcement. Celine

by UnEstranAvecVueSurMer (holopherne ahem gmail) on Fri Nov 23rd, 2007 at 04:06:53 PM EST
DoDo:
We're idiots

Nah, you're not.
It was a first time experience, so you did not have a 'manual' in place to react.
I bet you even do not remember what you were thinking that very moment..just registering facts.
It's a very normal human reaction. I've seen it several times.

Coming days you will think a lot about this incident and by your saying 'we're idiots' you are preparing your 'manual' for next time to be not 'an idiot' again.

The struggle of man against tyranny is the struggle of memory against forgetting.(Kundera)

by Elco B (elcob at scarlet dot be) on Fri Nov 23rd, 2007 at 04:22:07 PM EST
I bet you even do not remember what you were thinking that very moment..

Oh, but I do. "I won't gaze at it like those for whom a car crash is spectacle." And "I shouldn't step on anything police would consider as evidence". Wrong manual.

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.

by DoDo on Fri Nov 23rd, 2007 at 04:40:25 PM EST
As someone who has spent decades in volunteer emergency response work I respectfully disagree.

For someone untrained and unequipped it was the right manual.  With any head injury spinal cord involvement must be assumed.  When a person has damage to the cervical vertebrae moving the head even slightly could severe the spinal cord and kill them.

You did what was right.

You cleared the area and put yourself in a safe place -- when a car is mangled like you describe the danger of it catching fire is very real.  By doing so you allowed the responders clear and ready access to the victims and didn't increase the emergency by becoming a victim yourself.

by ATinNM on Fri Nov 23rd, 2007 at 05:45:49 PM EST
No idiots there at all, 'cept possibly for the car driver.  To whatever degree it's a shock situation.  You do not judge your reaction under shock.

i hope you are with good friends, and are strong enough to let your own emotions and thoughts flow where they may.  We're all virtually here for you, with respect.

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Anas Nin

by Crazy Horse on Fri Nov 23rd, 2007 at 04:36:59 PM EST
DoDo, don't go blaming yourself for what could've been. You ran from a celebration into a severely traumatic event - if you've not been drilled or prepared for situations like these, as most of us aren't, one's instincts are floundering. Also, you were only partially informed of the situation and of what was happening at that point.

Have you been (recently) trained in First Aid? If you have, perhaps only then one might start to walk down that road.

by Nomad on Fri Nov 23rd, 2007 at 04:47:38 PM EST