However, one plus for placing wind farms near railway lines might be power lines: railways need them anyway, so they could be coupled.

This might not be the case in much of the US, with its diesel engines.

by Zwackus on Sun Dec 2nd, 2007 at 08:20:02 PM EST
Indeed. In spite of no power lines, improvements are on the way.

I'd guess that trains are a somewhat undiscovered frontier for eco-efficiency. But maybe that's just my ignorance speaking... I think the ICE 3 feeds back electricity into the net when it brakes, but I don't know of any other trains that do so. DoDo?

by nanne (zwaerdenmaecker@gmail.com) on Sun Dec 2nd, 2007 at 09:05:27 PM EST
Almost all modern electrics do feedback, the power electrics for the AC motors make that easier. (And it can be done most efficiently just on the power system also used by the German railways.) In fact, I believe the regular S-Bahn multiple units of the latest generation (not in Berlin) absorb a greater percentage of braking energy with regenerative braking than ICE-3 sets.

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Mon Dec 3rd, 2007 at 01:32:13 AM EST
This is called regenerative braking, isn't it?
by Gag Halfrunt on Tue Dec 4th, 2007 at 02:12:03 PM EST
Yes, proper link. But see last sentence in my comment :-)

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Tue Dec 4th, 2007 at 03:37:52 PM EST
AFAIU, the Cityrail sparkies (electrics) in Sydney (and out to Wollongong, Newcastle, and the Blue Mountains) put their regenerative braking into the grid, and they are DC. The mechanical brakes mostly just do the last little bit to bring the train to a full stop.

I've been accused of being a Marxist, yet while Harpo's my favourite, it's Groucho I'm always quoting. Odd, that.
by BruceMcF (agila61 at netscape dot net) on Sun Dec 9th, 2007 at 08:28:00 PM EST