"WHAT/WHERE IS IT?"
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 02:44:41 AM EST

Easy really. A noisy shot since it was dark and I have cropped a small area.
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 02:47:22 AM EST
A disco ball

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 03:21:39 AM EST
Too easy!
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 06:54:36 AM EST

A little riddle
Now you can see that this is a glass, but what is that pattern on it? All the clues are in the picture.

It's a new design concept by a friend of mine. There are 6 different designs. Can you guess what the others might be?

You can't be me, I'm taken

by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 07:23:55 AM EST
I'm going to guess that it's a street map of Helsinki, and that the white shapes are the outlines of buildings.
by the stormy present (stormypresent aaaaaaat gmail etc) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 08:12:20 AM EST
Correct! - it is a stylised map of downtown Hki. The other glasses in the set are Berlin, Paris, London, Rome, New York.

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 08:20:52 AM EST
Is it an aerial view of Helsinki?
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 08:15:20 AM EST
Almost!

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 08:28:52 AM EST
This sculpture is of a moderately well known French sculptor and painter of the 19th century who has a square named after him in the 18th arondissement of Paris. Get out your maps, Ted.

Here's the square.

by LEP on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 03:02:08 AM EST

"Square Carpeaux is a pleasant splash of green in the 18th arrondissement.   There is a playground for the neighborhood's children, lots of benches under beautiful shady trees, and even a fin-de-siècle bandstand.   (Alas, the bandstand is being refitted and is not used at present.)

The Square is named for Jean-Baptiste Carpeaux (1827 - 1875), a sculptor-artist and graduate of the School of Beaux-Arts of Paris."

Photos at:

I claim my 4 :-)

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner - that I moved to Nice.

by Ted Welch (tedwelch-at-mac-dot-com) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 04:50:56 PM EST
I knew you'd get it.

by LEP on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 04:53:42 PM EST
Guess what and where.

by LEP on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 03:19:36 AM EST
Rehearsal for Alice In Wonderland?

Gardens of the Fontainebleau palace?

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 07:55:10 AM EST
No, that's a river, so I don't know where.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 07:58:12 AM EST
It is a rehearsal, but not for "Alice in Wonderland." And it is a river not too far from Fontainebleau. You're getting close. Think French classic theatre.

by LEP on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 08:12:17 AM EST

by LEP on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 04:00:24 PM EST

by LEP on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 03:39:58 AM EST
"Don't sit under the apple tree
with anyone else but me..."
by the stormy present (stormypresent aaaaaaat gmail etc) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 04:54:01 AM EST
You're not nearly old enough to sing that.

by LEP on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 04:57:59 AM EST
How do you know? ;-)
by the stormy present (stormypresent aaaaaaat gmail etc) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 05:00:12 AM EST
Intuition!

by LEP on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 05:00:43 AM EST
Mmmmmmmmm.... Andrews Sisters...

Anyway, Soul Coughing used that loop brilliantly on their equally brilliant Ruby Vroom album (which I've lost somehow). And Soul Coughing is definitely my generation.

by Nomad on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 05:22:43 AM EST
That explains it!

by LEP on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 05:32:07 AM EST
No it doesn't!  Although I do have that album.  But my father is a much better explanation.
by the stormy present (stormypresent aaaaaaat gmail etc) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 05:37:37 AM EST
Winter 2006 my wife planted an apple tree in our yard. The first apples arrived this summer and this photo is of one of the first. We wound up with about 40 to 50 apples this summer and fall-all delicious.

by LEP on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 03:55:41 PM EST

by LEP on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 05:33:17 AM EST
Nespresso machine. (Cue in G. Clooney).

No, I think it's a coffee roaster.

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 06:01:44 AM EST
You're probably right. It's in a little store on Rue Damremont that sells products from the north of France. I didn't ask the owner what the machine was but i did buy a tin of his butter cookies which estHer gobbled right up. Here's the cookies.

by LEP on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 06:10:51 AM EST
I have to go out for an hour so guess away.

by LEP on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 08:37:45 AM EST
Is that one of your wedding pictures?

We have met the enemy, and he is us — Pogo
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 08:39:11 AM EST
My first wife was a beautiful blond and a lot taller than me, but not this tall.

by LEP on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 08:42:11 AM EST
Is the man a very young Donald Trump?
Is it a photo you took? it looks fairly old.
Is it a woman who later became famous?
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 08:49:39 AM EST
It's not a photo I took. It's not Donald trump. It's a woman who's  known to some ET ers.

by LEP on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 10:10:44 AM EST
Does her ET name start with a A?
by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 10:23:43 AM EST
Nope.

by LEP on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 10:26:56 AM EST
Then I have to pass! :-)
by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 10:50:43 AM EST
I think it looks like Fran!
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 12:22:51 PM EST
LOL, thanks! You just made my day, In Wales. :-D
by Fran (fran at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 12:25:15 PM EST
That would have been my guess too...

"Pretending that you already know the answer when you don't is not actually very helpful." ~Migeru.
by poemless on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 02:09:47 PM EST
Is it mimimi, mishimishi, whatever her name was?

by poemless on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 02:12:55 PM EST
Now that's an interesting guess

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 02:18:40 PM EST
especially if you look at the filename.

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 02:23:32 PM EST
I guessed it after the "but not this tall" comment.

by poemless on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 02:33:42 PM EST
Very astute. That was a carefully dropped hint.

by LEP on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 02:57:18 PM EST
Poemless, you are a GENIUS. It is a photo that was sent to me by mmmm. I have never met her so I can't guaranty the authenticity of the photos.
And you men of ET. Aren't you sorry you didn't learn more about astrology.

by LEP on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 02:31:22 PM EST
Jesus, do I win something?

by poemless on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 02:32:40 PM EST
I'm thinking!

by LEP on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 02:53:56 PM EST

"And you men of ET. Aren't you sorry you didn't learn more about astrology."

Not at all - she was a pain in the neck - and not from looking up to her :-) - and it seems, from what someone who dropped in said, that she had been stirring up trouble in other places.

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner - that I moved to Nice.

by Ted Welch (tedwelch-at-mac-dot-com) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 06:35:50 PM EST
I did have an interesting conversation with her about aeronautics, back when she called herself manon.

We have met the enemy, and he is us — Pogo
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 07:18:47 PM EST
So you did meet a chick on ET!

"Dieu se rit des hommes qui se plaignent des conséquences alors qu'ils en chérissent les causes" Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet
by Melanchthon on Sat Dec 8th, 2007 at 09:29:01 AM EST
Poemless!
by the stormy present (stormypresent aaaaaaat gmail etc) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 08:53:55 AM EST
Ah, ya beat me to it!

She doesn't usually allow Misha to place his hand there in public, but that's poemless all right.

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 08:58:14 AM EST
No. poemless is sexier and more earthy looking; but I'm only speaking through a dream I had of poemless' posting her photo on ET. As I get older it becomes more and more difficult  for me to differentiate reality from fantasy.

by LEP on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 10:17:36 AM EST

by poemless on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 02:38:05 PM EST
So, did LEP use a crappy camera that didn't show the red lipstick's color?

by DoDo on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 12:05:17 PM EST
I didn't take the photo. It was emailed to me.

by LEP on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 12:10:26 PM EST
I don't want to say I am offended, because this could be someone's daughter or something.  She's very pretty.

No one has ever called me pretty.  I am not pretty.

I have been told I'm stunningly beautiful, but there is no accounting for taste...  Apparently Matt Damon is the sexiest man alive.  I don't understand these things...

(Should add, I'm 5'3 with very short dark brown hair, olive skin, and would not be caught dead in sequins.)

by poemless on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 02:09:02 PM EST
You all tell me when you give up. If you read my posts carefully in this thread you'll find some invaluable clues that should refresh your recollection. Then, think back a few months. If you want another clue I'll give one.
I also have a second photo that shows this persons earthy side.

Please note that I have this person's written permission to post these photos.

by LEP on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 02:23:48 PM EST
There is something vaguely Exorcist about this picture..

by poemless on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 05:05:53 PM EST
Head on backwards? or preparation for projectile vomiting?

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 05:07:38 PM EST
Head on backwards.

by poemless on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 05:16:08 PM EST
the shadow at her back is quite helpful in providing thaat impression

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 05:27:32 PM EST
as guessed by poemless!

by LEP on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 02:32:15 PM EST
Always change your filenames ;-)

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 02:35:46 PM EST
I didn't look at the file name.  It was obvious: what tall blonde known on ET would be sending LEP her pics?

Probably the same tall blonde on ET who spent days flirting with him...

Though my 1st guess was Agnes a Paris...

by poemless on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 02:42:32 PM EST
No, Agnes was freaked out by being cyberstalked on the basis of her writing here so there's no way in hell she would allow her pics to be shown.

We have met the enemy, and he is us — Pogo
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 02:46:12 PM EST
Agnes...  I miss her.  Now that she and mmmm are gone, I have to do all the driving Jerome crazy myself.  It's a lot of work.

by poemless on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 02:59:37 PM EST
A lot of work? All you have to do is talk about smoking and astrology.

We have met the enemy, and he is us — Pogo
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 03:41:44 PM EST
I said drive him crazy, not make him upset.

by poemless on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 05:17:43 PM EST
Where's the file name? I'm computer illiterate.

by LEP on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 03:02:18 PM EST
right click and go to properties, one is called mmmm1.jpg and the other mmmm2.jpg

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 03:05:11 PM EST
Do you right click on the photo? I don't see any mmmm.

by LEP on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 03:19:11 PM EST
You can find the file name by hovering over the picture in the picasa album.

We have met the enemy, and he is us — Pogo
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 03:44:08 PM EST
Thanks.

by LEP on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 04:08:56 PM EST

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 09:01:32 AM EST
You took that when you came out of the Tut exhibition last Monday.

We have met the enemy, and he is us — Pogo
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 09:02:19 AM EST
Yes, you know, It wasn't till I got back that I realised I'd only taken 4 pictures in my whole day away.

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 09:05:38 AM EST
I was going to take a mug shot of you for my phone's contact list, but I forgot.

We have met the enemy, and he is us — Pogo
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 09:07:51 AM EST
and I a photo of the pair of you, but it got to be a rush.

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 09:11:08 AM EST
Did you forget to take the lens cap off?

by LEP on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 10:32:29 AM EST
Well I could have messed about with it to improve the lighting, but that would blur it more

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 11:14:49 AM EST
Famous River

I can swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell. _ Blood Sweat & Tears

by Gringo (stargazing camel at aoldotcom) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 09:32:22 AM EST
Nile?

by DoDo on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 12:01:16 PM EST
Technically yes, but it's before the confluence. Dare I ask which Nile?  I'm actually not sure.  I photographed both the Blue and the White and the confluence (I have yet to find all the photographs though).  I believe this is the White Nile at sunset. If not, it's the Blue Nile at dawn. Such confusion.  The White has a heavier flow most of the time and is usually muddier, but the Blue surges in the summer due to the rains in Ethiopia.

by Gringo (stargazing camel at aoldotcom) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 01:52:20 PM EST
somehow this could be slightly misleading..

Le caoutchouc serait un matériau très précieux, n'était son élasticité qui le rend impropre à tant d'usages.- A.Allais

by armadillos (armadillo2024 (at) free (dotto) fr) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 01:35:19 PM EST
I really don't know!

This is a closeup of it and I'll put it in its full context after the fun...

by gioele (gioele(daught)sandler(aaaattttt)gmail(daught)kom) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 01:37:09 PM EST
Long time no see Gioele.

by LEP on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 01:49:50 PM EST
I've had to go back to the US for a spell, I'm still here, and have been consumed with work.

I have missed posting, but I have been pooped and I don't care what anyone else says, this posting stuff is exhausting! ;-)

by gioele (gioele(daught)sandler(aaaattttt)gmail(daught)kom) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 01:58:29 PM EST
This looks like a fossil.  I once found a very large nautilus fossil that looked something like it.  Or it could be an ammonite.

by Gringo (stargazing camel at aoldotcom) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 02:11:32 PM EST
I don't think so...

I just noticed the scoring on the upper right, and it is clearly, at least to me, rodent teeth marks! Neat, something tried to eat it....

by gioele (gioele(daught)sandler(aaaattttt)gmail(daught)kom) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 06:16:56 PM EST
Shivlingam?

The struggle of man against tyranny is the struggle of memory against forgetting.(Kundera)
by Elco B (elcob at scarlet dot be) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 08:32:27 PM EST
nope...
by gioele (gioele(daught)sandler(aaaattttt)gmail(daught)kom) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 09:00:07 PM EST
Here is the picture in toto.

It was 'growing?' -don't know if thats the right term- under the roots of a tree and it had that fungal look, very organic in some way, but it also looks calcified and the blue-green cracks and lines have a distinctly mineral look...

by gioele (gioele(daught)sandler(aaaattttt)gmail(daught)kom) on Sat Dec 8th, 2007 at 02:58:08 PM EST
It's a crop...

by gioele (gioele(daught)sandler(aaaattttt)gmail(daught)kom) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 01:53:41 PM EST
I see a cantilever bridge through a vehicle window. Hm... maybe the vehicvle is a ship?

by DoDo on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 01:57:22 PM EST
Right so far, but where and how?

And if you figure that out, you'll know, possibly, whether that is the rising or the setting sun...

by gioele (gioele(daught)sandler(aaaattttt)gmail(daught)kom) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 02:01:59 PM EST
Is it a pinhole camera/camera obscura projection?

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 02:21:34 PM EST
Nope...
by gioele (gioele(daught)sandler(aaaattttt)gmail(daught)kom) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 06:06:57 PM EST
How -- against the Sun?

Where -- I would guess somewhere along the Mississippi.

by DoDo on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 02:47:38 PM EST
I take that back! The ship must be travelling on a lorry on another bridge, so the cantilever one must be higher. No idea... Maybe New York, somewhere across the East River?

by DoDo on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 02:49:42 PM EST
But look at the structure on the left. I'd say european.

But where ...

by Loefing on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 05:06:21 PM EST
European? Such cantilever constructions are much more common in the US.

I can close out New York, the Queensboro Bridge has spires. You made me think of Europe, but I can only think of the Rendsburg High Bridge, which has different ratios. Hm...

At last I also recognised the headlights of the next car and the one in the other lane...

by DoDo on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 05:27:24 PM EST
Ah, headlights, of course. I see what you're saying.

Good sleuth.

by Loefing on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 05:39:55 PM EST
and the boat looks a barge

hmmm.

could it be Amsterdam?

by Loefing on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 05:10:29 PM EST
'looks like', of course. my brain was too busy working : )
by Loefing on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 05:13:04 PM EST
nope, not the Netherlands...
by gioele (gioele(daught)sandler(aaaattttt)gmail(daught)kom) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 06:10:53 PM EST
Have a 4 for that.
by Nomad on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 07:00:33 PM EST
-- Nope, more complicated...

-- Nope, Mississippi is not correct...

by gioele (gioele(daught)sandler(aaaattttt)gmail(daught)kom) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 06:10:04 PM EST
Hm. The "how" must refer to photographing the reflection on something?

by DoDo on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 05:31:13 PM EST
Now you are warm...
by gioele (gioele(daught)sandler(aaaattttt)gmail(daught)kom) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 06:11:41 PM EST
I checked Bay Bridge East (different lamps), Chesapeake Bay (wrong geometry), Sunshine Skyway (long removed), Cooper River, neither looks like it...

by DoDo on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 06:17:28 PM EST
cropped pic of bridge from net...

by gioele (gioele(daught)sandler(aaaattttt)gmail(daught)kom) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 06:30:29 PM EST
OK, definitely not Queensboro.  Hmm.
by the stormy present (stormypresent aaaaaaat gmail etc) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 06:47:28 PM EST
So San Francisco Bay, Richmond-San Rafael...

by DoDo on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 06:52:38 PM EST
Got something with a railway bridge? That would have been easier for me...

by DoDo on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 06:54:53 PM EST
OK, you have to tell me how you do that.
by the stormy present (stormypresent aaaaaaat gmail etc) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 06:59:49 PM EST
Nothing too intelligent... From the second photo, it was obviously NOT a river. There aren't many choices. Already cheched half of the possibilities (see upthread), so I went to Wikipedia and continued with the other San Francisco Bay bridges. I think gioele used the photo there to make his cropped colorless version.

by DoDo on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 07:26:57 PM EST
yep...

Very good, now how do you imagine I took the picture?

Remember that this one is a cropping of another, larger, photo...

by gioele (gioele(daught)sandler(aaaattttt)gmail(daught)kom) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 07:44:11 PM EST
a) Driver's mirror
b) small mirror in foldable sunshade above passengers' seat

by DoDo on Sat Dec 8th, 2007 at 07:25:19 AM EST
Ding, ding, ding....

You are correct!

Don't try this at home folks (driving while shooting). My head buzzing with coffee at 06:30, I thought the picture of the sun coming up in the mirror would be cool, cracked windscreen and all...

by gioele (gioele(daught)sandler(aaaattttt)gmail(daught)kom) on Sat Dec 8th, 2007 at 02:44:16 PM EST
Unbelievable!

by LEP on Sat Dec 8th, 2007 at 02:49:59 PM EST
Ha! If it is a reflection in the mirror, could it be Astoria Bridge?

by DoDo on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 06:22:30 PM EST
Rather not: Sun direction...

by DoDo on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 06:25:14 PM EST
Taken aboard a vehicle ferry?  And is that the Queensboro Bridge?  Or am I on the wrong coast?
by the stormy present (stormypresent aaaaaaat gmail etc) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 06:38:28 PM EST
nope, see above...
by gioele (gioele(daught)sandler(aaaattttt)gmail(daught)kom) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 09:02:19 PM EST
Love the Spaniel(?) pic!

by Gringo (stargazing camel at aoldotcom) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 02:01:19 PM EST
Yup a golden cocker spaniel by the name of the Dylan.  He is my sister's dog and ever so cute.
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 03:33:40 PM EST