Oh, just remember that easy does it with curves unless you are trying for a special effect.  You can target specific areas by clicking on the smaller grids button at the bottom of the curves dialog box and placing a marker at each intersection.  This prevents unintended changes except where you want them.  A simple shalow S curve (with markers placed three quarters of the way up and down the line) is a great way to increase overall contrast in most photos. The dark tones are increased by moving the lower marker point down slightly and whites and lighter tones are brightened by moving the upper marker upward slightly. Using the up and down arrows  is a great way to control the selected marker.  You can target specific areas of a photo for change by control clicking on them in the photo.  Each click places a marker on the line for manipulation.  Curves are a joy to work with once you get to know them.  Happy curving!

I can swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell. _ Blood Sweat & Tears
by Gringo (stargazing camel at aoldotcom) on Fri Dec 7th, 2007 at 11:06:17 PM EST
I didn't know about all of this, thank you.  I often take decent photos that could be really good if I could tweak them just right in photoshop but I lack those skills so far.  I will have to post my experiments.
by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Sat Dec 8th, 2007 at 04:00:08 AM EST
Well, the other thing you could try that's actually simpler for tweaking photos is using the camera raw dialog. Have you tried importing your files directly into camera raw to tweak them?  I don't know which version of Photoshop you have, and CS is a little different from CS2 and CS3, but the raw files dialog is terrific.

by Gringo (stargazing camel at aoldotcom) on Sat Dec 8th, 2007 at 02:28:06 PM EST
I have CS2 and I do now tend to take nearly all of my shots in RAW unless they need to be immediately used as jpegs.

I haven't explored enough what the software can do so I need to spend more time on that.

by In Wales (inwales aaat eurotrib.com) on Sun Dec 9th, 2007 at 05:34:41 AM EST
I recommend a book by Scott Kelby, editor of Photoshop User Magazine, titled "The Photoshop CS Book for Digital Photographers".  It has a wealth of down to earth info for persons like yourself, or I, who enjoy photography but would like to make some changes to improve an image from time to time.  I have a small library of Photoshop books and this is one of the best for that purpose.  It has a whole section on raw files. Once you start using Photoshop in earnest and with knowledge of its capabilities, it will change the way you think about photography - for the better.

by Gringo (stargazing camel at aoldotcom) on Sun Dec 9th, 2007 at 12:59:34 PM EST
Ah thanks.  * runs off to Amazon *