(I'm reposting this comment from a subthread in Jerome's "Ségolène's big day - 'With me, never again will politics take ..." diary.)

While I like his vision and ambitions for a "union of Europe to change the world" and "to defend our model of society (...) our social values in particular", could you elaborate how his proposed policies would address the problems and concerns you have with Sarkozy's and Royal's "rhetoric" (I am doubtful you would agree to call them "proposals").

For example, according to the article you diaried:

Pointing out the amazing level of the French debt, he invited his supporters "to ask explanations from Nicolas Sarkozy and Ségolène Royal, who every evening in their speeches promise tens of billion euros additional expenditure".

So, what is Bayrou's position on French debt, and how to resolve the problem?

What does he propose to do about unemployment, pensions, and other issues that you have identified in other comment as urgent issues for France?

Truth unfolds in time through a communal process.

by marco on Mon Feb 12th, 2007 at 08:46:19 PM EST
Here's a crosslink to a discussion of this on a taxation thread the other day.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Tue Feb 13th, 2007 at 01:49:20 AM EST
Thanks.

Truth unfolds in time through a communal process.
by marco on Tue Feb 13th, 2007 at 01:55:58 AM EST
I'm going to try. The problem is translation.
by oldfrog on Tue Feb 13th, 2007 at 03:08:02 AM EST
Or, just point me to specific parts of his website that you think would translate into concrete policies should he become president.

For example, an article in Le Monde this morning pointed me to his position on retirement.

Truth unfolds in time through a communal process.

by marco on Tue Feb 13th, 2007 at 03:21:12 AM EST
by oldfrog on Tue Feb 13th, 2007 at 03:46:33 AM EST
Yes, I've been trying to read his "propositions".  I guess I was being greedy and was hoping for some "compare and contrast" analyses between his proposals and those of the other two candidates.

Truth unfolds in time through a communal process.
by marco on Tue Feb 13th, 2007 at 03:55:22 AM EST
Most of his stuff will come in a book at the end of the month. I have seen some shorter presentations of the core on some site but I lost the link.

I'd like to make something clear. I don't "root" for Bayrou because I think he is the "supreme savior" and probably a lot of his proposals can be criticized.

I only think that he is a better alternative in the current situation, his overall policies remind of normal social-democracy or christian-democracy from people that stablized and developed countries like Germany and the nordic countries.

The ideology is pragmatism and fairness

the two other candidates are only power hungry machines with horrible political backgrounds. Sego's background isn't better than Sarko's. To believe anything else is being delusional.

by oldfrog on Tue Feb 13th, 2007 at 04:15:05 AM EST